Insulated Coffee Cup

daniel3507

Observer
I'm looking for a nice coffee cup that can keep my coffee hot for as long as possible. I've had cheap insulated cups and mugs but they never seem to keep it hot. I've seen the snow peak cups but they don't seem like they would stay hot long either. Can anyone recommend a nice mug or cup that will work well? I'm not looking for a thermos or anything because I would also like to use it at home and work. Also, a lid is a must.

Thanks!

OCD Overland

Explorer
Klean Kanteen or Hydroflask. They're thermos-like but it's not like you have to unscrew the lids to drink. I use a Klean Kanteen every day - keeps hot stuff hot for hours. Would probably go with the Hydroflask now since they're cheaper and I like the finish better. Klean Kanteen makes an insulated tumbler if you just have to have something without a lid.

Last edited:

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
Look at the YETI insulated tumblers. They are 20 or 30 ounces. They keep things either hot or cold for hours if not days. A little pricey but everyone I know that has one loves it and agrees the tumbler is well worth the price

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
FWIW, have you tried pre-heating the mug first? You lose a lot of heat from the coffee right away by putting it into a room temperature mug. I put hot water into my mug first and let it set for awhile. Then dump it out and put the coffee in. Seems to help quite a bit. :coffeedrink:

daniel3507

Observer
Klean Kanteen or Hydroflask. They're thermos-like but it's not like you have to unscrew the lids to drink. I use a Klean Kanteen every day - keeps hot stuff hot for hours. Would probably go with the Hydroflask now since they're cheaper and I like the finish better. Klean Kanteen makes an insulated tumbler if you just have to have something without a lid.

I definitely like the Hydroflask after looking it up. That will probably be my next water bottle.
Yeti, Orca, Engel or Rtic cups. They work great.
Yeah I don't know about spending 40 bucks on the yeti. After having their cooler I don't really think any of their stuff is worth the price. The Rtic though is looking like the way to go for me!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

brushogger

Explorer
We prefer Hydroflasks. They offer a great variety of sizes and lid types. Also great at keeping things very hot or cold.

yeos

Observer
I haven't used my hydroflask for anything hot yet, but I'm sure it would well because it keeps my water cool in the heat.

For coffee I like the contigo stainless containers. The vacuum seal works very well and keeps your coffee super hot, usually hotter than I'd like. No need to remove the lid to drink either.

huachuca

Adventurer
We went with the 30 oz Engel. Really like the hinged flip up seal on the lid which makes the cup totally leak proof when closed but it can be easily opened with one hand. The only drawback was the lack of a handle; When full, the cup was just too heavy for my wife. Solution - the Tervis handle for their 24 oz fits perfectly (submerge it in boiling water for a minute or so before sliding it onto the tumbler). http://www.amazon.com/Tervis-Handle...3564144&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=tervis+handle

thethePete

Explorer
My biggest problem with the Contigo type ones is that I drink my coffee with sugar and a little cream, all the mechanism of the drinking opening is just too difficult to clean and gets scuzzy after a while of drinking coffee every day. It's a problem with most travel mug lids to a degree, but most are a simple slide, which is much easier to clean. A flip up lid like the Engel, etc, would be a bit better for ease of cleaning, but that's a factor for some people.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Don't know about the hydro flask, but the Klean Kanteen cafe lids are super easy to clean - that's one of the reasons I like them so much. Pop them apart and rinse them off or toss them in the dishwasher.

The the downside to that is that they aren't leakproof, so you have to be careful where you stow them. More than once, I've stuck one in the side pocket of a backpack and forgotten about it, only to be reminded when I bent over and coffee started dribbling all over me.

The regular cap that comes with them though is tight as can be. Just the cafe lid you have to be careful with.

michel

Observer
I've got a bunch of the one handed mugs from Stanley. best ones ive used so far. no leaks, comes apart for cleaning ( often put lattes in there, so it's got to clean up nice), one hand is all you need. an unlike some of the others I've had, it's not a pop open lid, so you push the button, take a sip, let of the button and it's sealed again. had them for about 4 years now.

MarAgt

Observer
I can say, as fast as I drink any beverage that's placed in front of me, I've never had one get completely cold or hot.

I grew up in Venice, FL; so I'm very loyal to Tervis Tumblers. Started in the 40's, they are still made in the USA in Venice and still give a lifetime warranty on all of their cups and bottles. I no longer live in Venice, but they still employ many people that I grew up with and that live in my hometown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior