FS: 2000 Toyota 4Runner, Chicago, IL Expedition Ready

richmeyer

Observer
2000 Toyota 4Runner

Chicago, IL
230,000 miles
$16,000 (w/o CVT tent)

After a lot of back and forth in my brain, I've decided to put my 2000 4Runner “Snorkel Machine” up for sale. This truck has been more than just a vehicle to me, it has been like a trusted, loved family member. This truck has taken me all over the West; into the heart of Death Valley, conquered the White Rim Trail, and chugged up the high altitude passes of Yosemite. All without skipping a damn beat. We've been through a lot and though I thought I would keep it forever, it's just time to move on to something else.

I bought the truck from an ExPo member in June of 2013 (shout out to OldSven). It had been a west coast truck for its entire life and if you're curious about the history and build of the original truck, just click the link in my signature, it has all the deets on what OldSven did and what I did. Like I mentioned, it has been a west coast truck for its entire life, up until the point I moved from Seattle back to the Midwest. I ran into a snow storm on my way from Denver to Minnesota during my extended road trip (cheesy Trip Report here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...A-Man-s-Quest-to-Find-Himself-by-Getting-Lost). That was literally the only time its seen salt or road brine. Once I got back to MN I plugged it into a trickle charger and parked it. I drove it down to Chicago a few months later and it's been parked ever since. For the last 4 months it's taken up residence in my heated garage (lucky bastard). Anyway, long story short, this thing is super clean, you won't find a cleaner 4Runner anywhere east of the Mississippi. The body is completely rust free and there are only a few little spots staring on the bumpers where the coating wasn't quite up to snuff. So without further ado:

The Basics:
2000 4Runner SR5
Silver
Blue Interior (Black Carpet, installed by OldSven)
AFR and Boost Gauges
Sunroof
5 Speed
Dual batteries (Optima Red and Yellow)
TRD Super Charger
Electric Fan
Rear Locker
Tundra 231mm Brakes
Icon Front Coilovers
OME 891 coils & OME N86 shocks
1” Body Lift
Stubbs Welding HD SKO sliders
BudBuilt skid plate
Badland Front Bumper
Winch
Custom Fab Rear Bumper w/ 2” receiver and 7 pin connector
Trailer brake controller
Magnaflow 2.5"
L/C Engineering short shift
Stainless brake lines F&R
FN Five Star Wheels with 295 Hankook MTs
First Gen Roll Bar with custom LED lighting for rear cargo area
Safari Snorkel w/ Deckplate Mod
LED Fogs
LED Tails
Light Force Spot Lights

The Caveats:
So here are the things that aren't perfect, though none of these things have prevented the truck from being 100% reliable. Hell, it got me to Death Valley and back.
It has the URD 7th injector kit and Standalone tuner. When I first bought the truck it was flawless but after a time it started giving me issues. I had the tuner reinstalled and tuned by a shop in Bellevue, WA and while it was a slight improvement, the truck still didn't run the best. I've fought with it for a long time trying to get things right and finally decided to set all the values to zero and just let the stock ECU control things. So far, so good. Truck runs great and the factory ECU is no longer fighting the URD unit for control, which was causing all the issues. If you are going to tow or use this truck at altitude, I'd get it dyno tuned by someone who knows what they are doing and take advantage of the 7th injector.

The Boring:
Plugs and Wires in the last 7k
Coils in the last 100 miles
Timing Belt and bearings at 187k
Newish Clutch and Slave
Steering Rack and CVs done during original build around 174k
MAF, TPS, and O2 (both stock and standalone) replaced around 10k ago.

The Negotiable:
Right now the truck has a CVT Mt Baker Tent (with annex) mounted on a “Custom Built” roof rack. I built the rack following the instructions that Tepui used to publish for the 4runner using uni-strut. It's no Baja Rack but it friggin works and doesn't look too shabby. Tough as hell too, survived 100 miles of Death Valley washboard no problem. Can't say the same for the rear swaybar. Oh yeah, the truck doesn't have a rear sway by the way. Anyway, if youre interested in the tent, we can negotiate that.

The Free:
I have a set of HID retrofits that I built that went on the fritz that I'll throw in for free. I think they just need a new fuse but at the very worst might need ballasts.

The Photos:

devero4

Adventurer
Wow good luck with sale! I'm originally from just east of Chicago and you wont find another one like this up there! What's next??

richmeyer

Observer
Wow good luck with sale! I'm originally from just east of Chicago and you wont find another one like this up there! What's next??
Thanks!

I bought a pickup and I'm looking to do a FWC. The RTT was great but I'd like to get into something with hard sides.

richmeyer

Observer
Also forgot that I have a set of Bilstien remote rez shocks I was going to install in the rear. I'll throw those in as well.

richmeyer

Observer
Price "adjustment"
14k with the CVT Tent. Moving into a FWC for my pickup, need the garage space. Make me an offer!

andyfordceo

Any chance this is still available? I am in Chicago and very keen to see the truck. Pm me if it is and when is good to com meet you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior