Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever...?

Default Has anyone ever...?

Has any one ever been able to spin 33" tires w/ 4:10 gearing in Hi Range with Center Diff Locked and a True Track in the front and a Detroit in the back in a Disco II w/ a 4.0L Petrol Engine w/ 60K miles on it in snow or deep mud? Engine is in great shape, no leaks, doesn't burn oil and followed the Land Rover Preventative Maintenance Program diligently. I am getting 300 miles on a tank. Also the truck weighed with 2 adults 3 children under 6 and one Boxer dog, gear, groceries for 1 week, clothes for a family of 5 for 1 week, diapers for 1 child for 1 week, fridge, Awning, aftermarket bumpers, winches-(steel cable on the front and synthetic on the back), dual batteries, swing away tire carrier (High Lift and 3 20L Jerry Cans mounted to it) 90 Watt solar panel, RTT, Sliders, drinking water system, 20L water storage, aluminum Safari Style drawers ect weighs in at 6,000lbs.

I haven't been able to spin my tires ever since I threw the 33's and lockers in, even with the 4:10 gears (for the past 2-3 years). The engine revs up to about 3-4K RPM and then nothing, it just stays there. I have to put it in 4Low just to get some wheel spin which sucks because the tires won't spin fast enough to clean the lugs out.

I am thinking about switching the engine out for a 4.6L to get some more power or possibly going with a fuel injected 327 crate engine. Any thoughts on this?

Is there that much more power in a 4.6L?

I have upgraded the rear axles, but haven't touched the front ones yet. STill waiting to decide what motor to put in. If I go with some sort of a 327, or a 350, or a 383, or a 302 conversion, I will more than likely end up getting rid of the entire drive train and going all custom complete w/ a 3 suspension link set up. If there is quite a bit more power in the 4.6, I will probably keep the drive train as it is now. I am in mostly deep snow and thick slimy mud, not a lot of rocks, although there are some trails further west that I have encountered some long rocky stretches, mostly the size of soccer balls, not really anything like Utah where there is all solid rock stretches. These trails here have rocky, sandy patches but for the most part it is mud and snow.

Thanks for puting up with the long read.

Nathan

Why do you need to spin your tires?

Quote Originally Posted by kellymoe
    Why do you need to spin your tires?
    I take it you have a sense of humor.

My destination, usually forward, hopefully in the direction that I turn my steering wheel, depends on rotating my tires in order to propel the vehicle.

In High Range, in thick mud or snow or over logs and such, my wheels don't rotate, due to a lack of power to get the rpms to get the torque required to overcome the resistance of the obstacles resisting my tires.

When in Low Range, they will rotate, just not fast to create enough centrifical force to cause a cleaning effect on the profile of the tires.

LOL

Nathan

Default Tires

If the wheels are spinning, even just a small amount, it sounds like you may have a tire issue, not a power problem.

seems like a huge amount of work to get tyres to spin.

Not spinning the tyres would be most peoples goal.

6000 lbs? Are you sure that all it weights? Have you run it a cross a scale? I would say cloesr to 7000lbs.

If you want to spin tires, hook the back to a light pole when you are in the snow. I bet you will be able to spin then.
    RonL
    Her's 1999 Green Disco (lifted and racked)
    His 1997 White Disco (lifted and locked)
    1995 GMC 3/4 ton with camper

Default Spin?

Maybe this is an issue with semantics-is the issue get the wheels to turn? If you can't get the wheels to even turn your problem could be something more than the weight of your rig. I certainly don't think you need to spend what you are suggesting.

Specifically what size tires, and what brand/model tire? What was the original gearing? (Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Rovers...)

What I'm getting at is ought you regear to allow for the taller and heavier tires?
    Last edited by njtaco; 05-30-2008 at 01:47 PM.

03 Taco (Gone, and missed...)

88 FJ62 3FE, auto, etc. Sold

07 DL650, lightly farkled

Member #160

Quote Originally Posted by junkyddog11
    seems like a huge amount of work to get tyres to spin.

Not spinning the tyres would be most peoples goal.
    No kidding. The last thing I would want is spinning tires in snow or over logs. Quickest way to break something when that tire found contact or bottomed out after a bounce.

But to answer you enquiry, I could spin my tires with a D-90, detroit rear and TT front, in the snow and mud on 32s with stock 3.54s. I have seen 285s on a weighted disco spin with a similar set up as well.

EwS

Could the traction control be messing with you?
    Cheers!

Keith
    04 Dodge 3500 4X4 CUMMINS POWERED!
    RT1 '97 Disco SD (on steroids) Sold
    RT2 '97 Disco XD (built to rock)
    RT110 '85 110 (Getting bigger, badder and better)
    '95 RRC LWB (Sadly it is sold )
    '67 S2a 109 SW (someday I'll finish it) Sold...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast