Has anyone ever...?

revor

Explorer
My 4.6 Disco 1 with 4.1 gears, rear Detroit locker will spin the right rear on a right turn on the pavement.

>In Alberta, Canada, you could install a team of hamsters or a nuclear reactor based engine and no one would care or even ask you?

This is a high power option that we consider frequently in the states but Emmissions gets us every time, plus there's always that waste to dispose of!

>I have tried Low Range and Red Line to boot, its just that the wheels won't spin fast enough. I may look at swapping in a 5 speed.

I'm thinking that the minute your wheels start to spin the TC starts to grab the brakes. Seeing that you have a DL in the rear you may be seeing that the one brake that is trying to control wheel spin is doing so across your whole drivetrain. Try disconnecting all the ABS sensors and report back.

>If you were me and you could throw any motor into my Disco, what would it be?

TD5 with a 5 speed and disconected traction control.

I really think the TC is messing with the Detroit.

Your next step in gearing is 4.7 on Rover diffs, don't waste your time, with a rig that big and with the power (it should have) these gears will break, it's not a question. The only option is Toyota diffs at that point, and I've been slacking as the d2 in the works to get Toy diffs and axles (in Rover housings) is woefully on the back burner.

Last edited:
revor said:
My 4.6 Disco 1 with 4.1 gears, rear Detroit locker will spin the right rear on a right turn on the pavement.

>In Alberta, Canada, you could install a team of hamsters or a nuclear reactor based engine and no one would care or even ask you?

This is a high power option that we consider frequently in the states but Emmissions gets us every time, plus there's always that waste to dispose of!

>I have tried Low Range and Red Line to boot, its just that the wheels won't spin fast enough. I may look at swapping in a 5 speed.

I'm thinking that the minute your wheels start to spin the TC starts to grab the brakes. Seeing that you have a DL in the rear you may be seeing that the one brake that is trying to control wheel spin is doing so across your whole drivetrain. Try disconnecting all the ABS sensors and report back.

>If you were me and you could throw any motor into my Disco, what would it be?

TD5 with a 5 speed and disconected traction control.

I really think the TC is messing with the Detroit.

Your next step in gearing is 4.7 on Rover diffs, don't waste your time, with a rig that big and with the power (it should have) these gears will break, it's not a question. The only option is Toyota diffs at that point, and I've been slacking as the d2 in the works to get Toy diffs and axles (in Rover housings) is woefully on the back burner.

I have heard from the grape vine that there is somebody working on this (toy diffs and axles inside of Rover Housings) for the front and the rear. Possibly selling some sort of a kit. I am guessing that this is you?

Thanks for your knowledge. I have read through a lot of your posts and I am happy that you sharing your thoughts are on this board.

Do you know anyone who would try to tackle the job of fitting a TD5 w/ a 5 sp. for me?

I love this truck and I have put a lot of time and thought and money into it, so I would rather make changes to it, then get rid of it and find something else.

Nathan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne