K5 Blazer - Sleeping Length

PHeller

Adventurer
I just noticed a nice 71 C10 K5 Blazer parked around the corner, and a quick glance tells me there is a lot of room between the back of the front seats and the tail gate.

Did they make the K5 Blazer in multiple interior lengths?

I'm 6' even, could I sleep straight in the back of a Blazer?

plh

Explorer
I had a '76 way back in about 1989 or 1990 and slept in the back on several occasions (with GF too). I'm 5'8" - no issues. I think the interior room of the earlier trucks were about the same.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I had a 71 and I'm pretty sure you could sleep in it if you took the back seat out. Unlike newer vehicles that have a passenger footwell and a folding or tumbling seat, the Blazer back seat is a single unit bolted to the floor. Unbolt it and you have a completely flat load deck from the back of the front seats to the tailgate. The 67-71 also have the IMO superior lift/drop gate (i.e. two piece gate where the top lifts up and the gate drops.) By contrast the 73-89?90? Blazer has the roll-down window, which is OK unless the regulator breaks because then you cannot open the tailgate at all. Our Army CUCV M-1009's were diesel Blazers of this vintage and the broken regulator was a common problem (mainly due to misuse/abuse.)
To answer your other question, no they never made the Blazer in multiple lengths but the Suburban is basically a longer version of the same thing. There are a few other differences, the biggest one being that the Blazer had a removable fiberglass top while the Suburban did not. The Suburban's of that vintage had a very unusual "3 door" configuration where they had only a single door on the driver's side but had two doors on the passenger side. These are typically referred to as "3 door suburbans." The only other vehicle I'm aware of that had a door configuration like that was the 1957 - 59 International Travelall (My very first vehicle was a 1957 3 door 4x4 Travelall.)

PHeller

Adventurer
Cargo length with seat removed 76.60 inches on the 2nd Gen 73-91.

Unfortunately MPG is my only concern. They are about as good as a Suburban with less space. A Gen3 Montero (or 03+ Suburban) would offer similar capability, better MPG and be a better highway cruiser. But can't remove the top..hmm. Decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94