Creaking with Hannibal Rack installed

sboada

Observer
Has anyone had any creaking or ticking from the rain gutter with their Hannibal installed. just installed mine on my 04 DII last week. Had my first off road trip through Joshua Tree today ad noticed some creaking coming from the front drivers side rain gutter. Does this indicate it's too loose? Too tight? Unsure exactly how tight the rail adapters needed to be. Anyone have any pics of their's installed? I'd like to see how tight they screwed the mounting brackets down.

Right now I have three pelicans and two jerry cans mounted.

Thanks.

sboada

Observer
Touche grasshopper, touche...

You get what you pay for I guess... Not bad for some Steak and Corona's though.

Love the rack. Really solid. Shake the rack and the vehicle shakes with it. Solid construction no doubt. Assembly wasn't as easy as I thought. Not overly complicated just took us a while to figure it all out.

Did you install the rubber gasket like material that came with the rack between the rails running the legnth of the rack to the rails running the width of the rack before you bolted it together?

Nathan

IH8RDS

Explorer
Creaking or ticking could be a sign of a crack somewhere. Metal on metal contacting. I just had to weld up my lower tracbar mount because of the creaking and ticking.

revor

Explorer
IH8RDS said:
Creaking or ticking could be a sign of a crack somewhere. Metal on metal contacting. I just had to weld up my lower tracbar mount because of the creaking and ticking.

Dude! This a Land Rover!!!! Well okay a D2, D2 owners aren't used to noizzze in their cars.... Well and LR's don't crack much but the bodies while very ridged do flex.

sboada:
Loosen the mountings to be snug enough to keep it on and drive a while. After the rack 'settles in' tighen it down.

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
My SD rack on the DII just started this creaking after 6 years. I checked it all out, and still seems nice and tight. Was dealer installed. Might be missing something, I'm going to take another look tomorrow.

thallca

Observer
nathansharkey said:
Did you install the rubber gasket like material that came with the rack between the rails running the legnth of the rack to the rails running the width of the rack before you bolted it together?

This is important, without the rubber the rails of the roof rack can bounce around during offroad driving and come in contact with the crossmembers below.

I have had one of thier racks mounted for a couple of years now and have had no problems other than water collecting in the outside rail. Trying to figure out where the water sloushing sounds were coming from drove me nuts. I didn't know there was water in that rail until I drilled a couple of holes in the side to mount a 2-meter antenna.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online