Project 91 XLT

91xlt

Adventurer
THE BEGINNING
The beginning of this project started as a second vehicle with 4wd to carry me and my gear on hunting/camping trips. I bought a used, but in good condition full-sized Ford Bronco. The only criteria I really set in this purchase were the rig had to be a full-size 4x4, a V8, preferably a mid 300 ci. As opposed to a larger big block or a smaller low 300 ci. I wanted a suv type as opposed to a pick up, an auto tranny, and at the least be in running condition, with all major components in working order. So this narrowed down my search. After only a small time looking I was approached by a co-worker selling his Bronco. This rig had never been offroaded, was in above average condition, had paperwork for all repairs done since NEW! And was being sold by only the third owner at a VERY reasonable price. SOLD! So now I own a 91 Ford Bronco XLT trim. This truck even though in very good condition, does have its issues. For the price I paid and for the use I had originally purchased for I felt this would be great.

ORIGINAL CONDITION, SPECS AND MODS
As is condition, options and modifications of the Bronco at time of purchase. The Bronco for being a truck here in the northeast part of the country was in overall very good condition, with some rust spots around weal wells and along bottom of body, really just the usual, but only in moderate amounts. It has a 5.8L EFI V8, E4OD auto trans, BW1356 electric transfer case w auto locking hubs controlled by in cab pushbutton, power windows, locks, a plush interior, factory tow package, A/C, cruise control, AM/FM cassette, and looks good to boot. Everything looked original except for 31 in BFG A/Ts and a set of wheels that I just do not care for. The engine and tranny had been re-built at about 100,000mi. there was now 157,000mi on the odometer. After some further investigating of the truck, I don’t believe it has been maintained as well as it should have been, although it has not been abused either.

Alright, now I have owned for about a month, found, identified and corrected a few things. First I am losing coolant; a check of hoses reveals heater hoses and bypass hose needing replacement, done. I am still losing coolant but I can not put my finger on from where. I pressure test system, all is well, grateful no bad head gasket, but I still lose small amounts of coolant. No big deal, I will have to add coolant every so often, after all this was only to be a second vehicle for camping/hunting anyway. Other issues, A/C, cruise control, and power door locks do not work, again to me not that big of deal for my usage of rig. The rear main seal leaks a little oil; have to top off every couple tanks of gas, not the end of the world either.

My first hunting/off-road trip with the Bronco, and it performs EXCELLENT! Now the Broncos are pretty heavy, just under 5,000 lbs. I figure, but between weight distribution and the short wheel base, this truck out performed any 4x4 I have personally driven. I do not claim to be a hardcore offroader, but I have driven and driven in a variety of 4x4s in the past. I am not knocking any of them, I just loved the way this Bronco handled, and it was me! So, a couple more trips and I still am very impressed with this rig. The biggest problem I had was ground clearance; it is a little low at the differentials. I have now driven this rig thru, snow, ice, mud, rocks, creeks and such, and I still am impressed with the way this handles.

I started to research the Broncos, for basic mechanical, offroad and build up details and options. WOW! These rigs are really quite capable rigs; right out of the box, not only in my opinion but of many, many others as well. Like I said I am not into hardcore offroading, rock crawling, mudding, driving over other vehicles or any of the other more extreme levels of 4x4 recreation, not trying to knock them, just not into them.

I have had the Bronco for about a year and a half now, thru 2 hunting seasons and a couple of just off road excursions, still loving this rig, BUT….the almighty BUT…I desire MORE! So the project gets its official kick off!! Been researching for a couple of months now via internet, magazines, books, word of mouth, and the usual. I have seen different types of build ups on the net, but none that I really felt was me, that I could really sink my teeth into and learn and enjoy, and DO! Then just out of surfing the net I stumble upon these vehicles and owners who are trying to do the same types of thing I am. Basically prepare a vehicle for “EXPEDITION” use! Yes, expedition. There are build ups based on this concept of venturing to remote areas and spending some time there. Now there are as many factors that come into play doing this type of build up as any type, depending upon your own particular needs and desires, from mild to wild and everything in between. But at least I have found a direction!

FIRST REPAIRS AND MODS
Well during the first year or so I have had to do some repairs. I did not know in exactly what direction I was going to head with this project, but as repairs where needed I upgraded. First the battery went, in went an Optima Red Top, next the alternator, in went a 145A Powermaster. Now with this done I decided to go a step further, Dual Battery set up. I set out for a little better performance and fuel economy and did a full blown tune up with premium wires, plugs, cap and rotor, and installed a K&N fipk and Flowmaster true dual exhaust system from exhaust manifold back, including dual cats. Next I installed a York OBA set up, just a basic compressor with 2 ½ Gal reserve tank for now. I also went with a set of American Racing Baja wheels and 33x12.5 A/Ts. I like these mods and have had fun installing them.

The mods I have made so far are very “generic”, in other words no matter what direction I decided to go, these mods would fit in. Now with a direction, a specific build up agenda can be created as a guide to follow.

PROJECT OVERVEIW
To create a highly functional, self supportive vehicle and trailer combination for “Xpeditionary Land Travel”! Project…XLT.

This project will take a stock Bronco and transform it into a very capable, multi-purpose rig. It will be broken down into phases and levels. I will log all mods, costs, time frames, resources, and information I use for this project.

I want to build a vehicle and trailer combo to be highly reliable, functional and self supportive means of transporting up to 4 persons and there gear for unlimited travels for many years to come. Not to prepare for any specific expedition, but rather be a multi-purpose outfit to provide anything from just overnight camping trips to long term cross country treks, at a moments notice. This will be a rig to provide safe, comfortable, and reliable use on or off highway travel, back roads and trails of up to maybe a 3.5-4.0 rating. Self supportive meaning being fitted out for self extraction and repairs, miles from anywhere.

This project is going to be broke down into phases and levels, so as to be able to clearly plan and measure the transformation. I do not believe this project will ever truly end, as it will just evolve from one stage to the next, on and on. There will be constant changes and challenges. I do not have unlimited funds for this, so it will have to be budgeted also, with each modification or piece of equipment to be carefully questioned and to serve a multitude of uses. Nothing will be done that does not serve more than one function, I am sure that there will be an exception or two, but this is my goal.

As stated this will be done in phases. Each phase will be done in levels. This will range from phase 1 level 1 being the starting point with a stock vehicle with no modifications and end with a vehicle that has been fully restored and modified to a level that can handle anything thrown its way.

Phase 1 will be the initial outfitting of a bone stocker to handle basic off road and expedition tasks, for the vehicle, and for the trailer, it will be a light duty, road worthy, street legal, trailer outfitted for basic camping use. It will not be for off road use at this stage so as to be able to determine best size, type, and overall usage that this trailer will see. Each step will be carefully considered as to how to do different or other options available. Pros and cons will be weighed and re-evaluated on a regular basis.

Phase 2 will concentrate on modifications and improvements found to be needed. This information will come from how the rig performs its strong points and its weaknesses. After evaluation and consideration. The trailer will be modified or rebuilt to a point that it will be able to travel to places no pop up would even dream of going, being able to follow behind the tow rig on all but the most difficult trails. Mods to the tow rig will be made as needed so as to accommodate this task.

Phase 3 will be the most extensive part of this project. Rebuilds of major components, frame off restoration to completely transform into a fully functional hardcore off road rig. All of the data and information gained in phases 1 and 2 conversions will be able to determine exact needs for final phase. At the end of this phase although very much reliable enough, the appearance will no longer be that of a daily driver, and the trailer is to be able to follow, anywhere the tow rig goes.

91xlt

Adventurer
WHERE TO START ?

To start with the preparation of the vehicle I broke it down into 8 categories.
1) ENGINE
2) DRIVETRAIN
3) SUSPENSION & STEERING
4) SYSTEMS
5) EXTERIOR
6) INTERIOR
7) ACCESSORIES
8) GEAR

All modifications I do will fit into one of these categories. Each of these categories will be addressed in all three phases of build up, any issues will be logged and evaluated as to how to correct and or improve situation.

Engine-this will include motor, intake and exhaust
Drive train-this will include trans., axles, brakes, t-case and all associated items
Suspension & Steering-this will include component of these systems
Systems-this will include electrical, cooling, security, climate control
Exterior-this will include bumpers, storage, recovery points
Interior-this will include storage, communications, monitoring, comfort, and safety
Accessories-this will include armor, auxiliary lighting, and electronics
Gear-this will include medical, recovery, survival, safety, and repair

CLynn85

Explorer
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I'd start out by fixing all the little quirks and make it so you're as comfortable as possible with its mechanical condition, then move on to armor and storage. If you don't have a good set of Mud Terrains or All Terrains already I'd strongly suggest it. I was able to take our old 91 F150 places I never would have imagined with it as my first 4x4 with just a set of BFG's and a heavy right foot (this was in my HS days).

91xlt

Adventurer
hey Carl,
could not agree with you more! actually truck is in engine shop, has been last 2 days. had them take engine out and completely inspect it. i started to tell them list of things i knew of, and the gentleman at shop stopped me and jokingly said...how about if when i call you with results, you tell me if i missed anything. well sure enough when call was received he hit the nails on head...plus some! so i was impressed with that. i had this shop do an engine for me in the past, so i am pretty confident in them. oh by the way...i left him a disposable camera and he said it would not be a problem to snap a few.

91xlt

Adventurer
engine work is completed, pick truck up this morning...next, axles...re-gearing to 4.10s and detroit lockers in rear, detroit true tracs gerared LSD front:)

91xlt

Adventurer
:beer: well picked up truck from engine shop, dropped off at trans shop. having trans and transfer case checked, as well as 4.10 gears, with detroit true tracs up front and eatons fiber positrac in rear installed. should be done monday. I cant wait to drive it, it will put everything back to intended specs and power range. something that it has not been in, in a very long time. performance should be a heck of a lot better!:beer:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I've always liked Broncos for some reason. I used to work on all the 60 and 70 something Ford trucks my dad used for his business. I used to really like Fords, but have lost interest in most of their new products.

The Bronco has always interested me. I tried to buy a 68 for my first vehicle but the parents denied me. I was very close to buying a 96, I believe it was the last year.

I'm excited about your build up. Great idea going through all the major mechanical areas and doing PM.

You can still get a brand new 351W longblock from Ford Racing for about $3000. The 351W is a great motor.

turboale

Observer
I commend you for doing this the right way from the start. Some people would go right for the modifications and skip out on some of the maintenance but there isn't anything more important than a dependable engine/drivetrain. That goes for every vehicle, much less one that will be taking you places not a lot of other vehicles can go. In your list you have suspension & steering next on the list, what are the plans for the suspension? You said diff clearance was a big limiting factor, are you going to be lifting it and putting some bigger tires on to help with that clearance? I would either include tires in this section or make it next on the list after suspension due to the fact that you have to have the suspension completed before you can get the correct size tire, but they are pretty darn important due to the fact that they are connect the truck to the turf/tarmac. Is this a DD as well or trail/hunting truck only. If you don't want to get Mud Terrains due to shorter life and noise I would HIGHLY recommend Bridgestone Duller A/T Revos. They were hands down better on the road (especially in wet conditions) than the BFG and the only time I ever got stuck on those tires was due to driver error, not lack of traction. ie, up half way up doors in water. ;) I also made it all the way through uwharrie national forest with about 1/4 of the tread left and that place is 85% Carolina red clay. I was totally impressed after making it through a huge clay hole that had been dug out twice by 305 MT BFGs and my revos were only 285s. I couldn't believe it! The Hole: Linked for size

Sorry, I guess I got a little ahead of myself... but anyway... how did all that work turn out?? What is next on the list?

91xlt

Adventurer
Update on Mechanicals

well the bronco is running and handling great!

the list of mods/repairs/upgrades

first of as stated had engine pulled, all new gaskets, fr main seal, rear main seal, valve covers and oil pan, have not lost a drop of oil since!

cooling system upgrades, intake re-machined, this was due to corrosion build up and was causing the coolant leak i could not find. new hoses, t-stat, fan clutch, hi flow water pump and complete system flush. again, not a drop lost since.

engine repairs, new starter, flywheel, motor mounts, exhaust manifold bolts and a few other minor repairs, as well as speedo calibration for 33s i am now running.

transfer case, new fill and drain plugs, fluid drained, replaced and t case serviced.

axles, precision gear 4.10s front and rear, complete rebuild including seals, bearings ring and pinnions and driver side rear axle shaft replaced.

traction devices, detroit trutrac installed up front and eatons carbon fiber posi trac in rear.

all this and a new trailer to boot. i bought a display model of the VenturCraft Trailblazer, with 31 inch tires and complete skid plates.

custom bumpers and skid plates have been started. front bumper is going to include 2" reciever with gussetting to allow a winch to be installed and used as needed, and a grill/brush guard which is going to be able to be tilted forward and down so as to be used as a rack. rear bumper will include a rear mounted winch, recessed off road lights, 2" receiver and tow/recovery points. sliders will be stout enough to support jacking/ hilift point.

more to follow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles