Order of modifications?

So I'm finally starting to modify my LX470, but can't decide on what it's to order first. I live in Southern California, so most of my trips will be in the Mojave desert and surrounding mountains in So Cal and along Hwy 395 (ie, not that technical). It's going to be more family orientated than hard core. So far I have picked up a set of 255/85/16 BFG MT's, rear storage drawers, and ordered a flat roof rack. Below is a list of the items I still want to purchase. Just not sure what order I should prioritize them. I'm leaning towards the below priority, but want to see what others think.

Roof top tent
2" lift (This might get moved up if my AHC fails)
Front bull bumper (already own winch)
Rear bumper w/ tire and gas can holders
sliders
locker

I always do suspension and tires (wheels if needed/desired) first

As for which of those 2 come first there's no rule of thumb for me, lol

So based on your list suspension (lift) would be next

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
OME suspension setup, airbags in the rear for varying weight loads in the rear. ARB front bumper, and I am not sure on the rear. but I would always go with trusted companies like OME/ARB. I am not up on the LX very much, but they offer the parts and they are awesome.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
i agree theres no sense in throwing money at something just because. when I decide to do a mod or fabricate something it is not for giggles. I do it for a reason. When i put my winch on my Isuzu, I did it so I dont get stuck without retrieval tools. then I thought what is the end of this, what do I want in the end. I want a bumper that will take the winch and have tow points on it. thats why I am doing my bumper. The tires you are doing them for a reason right?
I dont mean to be condescending but I see a lot of mall crawlers out there that never see more then 2 weekends a year out in the wilderness. A lot of money can be spent doing that and if was to be worked hard it would not be a good expo/ off road vehicle.

tommudd

Explorer
First things I look at are suspension upgrades, then tires for your area what you will be suing it for , then skids/ rock rails for body / engine/ trans etc protection
Then start using it to see what else maybe needed along the way

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
I always start with tires. A tire that is unsuited for un-paved use will leave you flat or stuck. Next is a roof rack, so I can increase my load flexibility.

A few years back I owned a FJ60 Landcruiser. It was my DD as well as my family camping and adventure vehicle in the great pacific northwest. I upgraded tires and added a heavy duty roof rack. That was it. Engine and drivetrain were left stock. It was supremely reliable, no concern with finding spare parts, and the on road handling was comfortable for DD use. It took me anywhere I needed to go on beaches, and some pretty rough forest service/logging roads. We have many great family memories of our outings in the "Cruiser".

Only on one occasion did I feel the want for a suspension upgrade. The kids were getting older and we were hauling more and bigger camping gear/4 bikes/firewood/etc. Under moderate/heavy highway braking the rig got a bit squirrely/wobbly. I blamed the stock suspension, but in hind-sight I had overloaded the vehicle and had too much weight up top. A heavier duty suspension would have helped, but smarter packing and less gear would have sufficed.

I would advise installing proper tires, get a roof rack, load her up and take her for an adventure. You may find the rig more than adequate. If not, address specific areas of weakness. If you want a rock crawler, the sky's the limit. But, when it comes to family adventures I say keep it simple and focus on reliability.

Good luck

Last edited:

BCBrian

Observer
Armor first, suspension that will support the armor, tires that fit with suspension, then dial in your load carrying and communication equipment.

If you get out there and damage something, you are stopped from getting home. Protect your radiator, oil pan, trans, transfer case, gas tank and rear end.

Consider what the weak points are and figure out which spare parts will be most useful to carry with you.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Focus on things that get you OUT of trouble, before things that get you IN to trouble.

And given your destination terrain, I'd put shelter / shade and water near the top of the list.

Ray_G

Explorer
So before all that I usually start with baselining the fluids and other consumeable or necessary maint items. I know its a Toyota, I mean a Lexus :), and not my cherished Land Rovers but as a fellow Toyota owner too (I just am not allowed to touch the wife's Tacoma, the 3rd Taco we've owned) that still rings true.

After that I'd have to say start with tires; you don't buy all kinds of gucci running clothes and then go out in a pair of shoes that will leave you blistered or broken. The tires of a vehicle may well be the single most important element of the platform and they are frequently overlooked in favor of other mods.

Suspension to suit application
front bull bar to hold the winch you already have
sliders

long after that the rear bumper, locker, and RTT...

But that's just my $.02.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz