2015 Jku - The journey starts now...

jktowhere

Observer
So I figure it's time to post. Have bee a lurker over the years and just upgraded to a new to me 2015 Jku Sahara with 14k and the options I wanted. The plan was to add expedition one bumper, but right when I bought it I couldn't pass up a Aev bumper for sale on Craigslist for $600! Anyway, love the rig. Still trying to learn it and the mods will continue. It had 20's on it (smacking my head) which have been swapped and the lift is a pro comp lift which I plan to pull in a month or two for Aev. Anyway, just starting the thread and will post from time to time.

Big question... Any advice on washing this beast? I'm not sure the best way to wash a black jeep or the best schedule for detail/wax/etc. I know black will show marks super easy. it will be a expedition vehicle for exploring the U.S./Canada area so don't need it perfect. Just want to keep it nice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 74

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Nice Jeep. My normal wash routine goes like this:

Wash Jeep using the two bucket system ( I also use two wash pads, one for the top 3/4 of the Jeep, the other for the bottom 25% where the real dirt and grime is)
Dry using microfiber towel and detail spray

In Spring and Fall I do a mini-detail:
Wash Jeep using a cleaner or alcohol to remove wax
Clay bar entire Jeep
Wash again
Dry
Apply a hand polish
Apply a sealant (prefer this to wax for protection)
Apply a glaze
Maybe apply wax if I want a nice shine

I think the key to keeping a black vehicle looking good is to use the two buckets and two wash pads. If you contaminate your wash pad with grime, it's easy to scratch the paint and get swirl marks.

Check out Adam's Polishes. They have some great videos on their website and the forum is very helpful too.

Enjoy!

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Once you take it off road and get it all scratched up (pinstripes) you will forget about the 2 bucket method....

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Once you take it off road and get it all scratched up (pinstripes) you will forget about the 2 bucket method....

Yeah, I've been pretty lucky with that so far. Not much in the way of pinstriping yet. But Billet hides scratches well. Since mine is my DD, I try to keep her nice.

Happykamper

Explorer
Just wash your car , dry with shamy , I use pressure washer to ,I t gets Undercarrige nice and under the hood. Put a great wax on it twice a year. I do same with all colors. My rigs look great from black to red .
Got a question why are you swapping your pro comp out ?
And finally nice rig.

KevinsMap

Adventurer

Navy Rule: If it moves, lube it. If it doesn't move, paint it. Repeat.

Lets talk "Lube" first - what does that mean (?)... pressure washing is great (because dirt promotes and accelerates corrosion) but you can go into overkill this way really easily, and it is only part of the whole solution. Instead, start with a first pressure washing, then make sure everything that moves is properly lubricated immediately afterwards. Follow that with a marine grade corrosion inhibiter to protect the entire underbody: painted body, frame, and all the running gear (except the brakes). If you use a penetrating type first, and then a heavy waxy-type over that, dirt will just literally fall off the underbody with light spray from a garden hose. No need for further pressure washing until the next application, since it would now degrade the anti-corrosion protection by removing some of it. Once a year is enough with a mil spec quality product, twice a year for general marine grade stuff. I use CorrosionX products with awesome results, but there are other excellent products too. Think of these corrosion inhibitors as paint, and you have the concept - the Navy Way.

Just keep that stuff off the brakes!

When I sold my much loved 2008 JK with 100,000 miles on the clock, at least 7,000 of which were dirt/sand/mud/snow with and without grit from roads/salt, etc, the buyer could not believe what he was seeing. No rust. None. But daily-driver use runs up the miles... sad. My 2014 now sees much more off-highway (as a fraction of total miles), since I do not use it as a daily driver; no rust in 35,000 miles.

Now, about "Paint It", and trail rash (and that "forget careful cleaning" mindset). Professional machine waxing can help, but really, learn to love your pin stripes; you earned them. But! Keep waxing that beast, keep that paint clean and protected, or you won't be in love with what the sun and oxidation will do to you ;-)

Have fun!

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great looking rig!

I have this "no touch" wash kit that screws on the end of the hose. It worked really well on an old classic with lacquer paint.
With the Jeep, I took it down, had it detailed and hand waxed. With the drought here, I quit washing cars at home. They do a great job of keeping it looking good. :beer:

jktowhere

Observer
Thanks guys! I am sure I put a scratch on it buy just even taking a picture of it! Thus the life of a black car. I have never owned a new car and I want to treat it right, but I am also realistic life happens. Just plan to wash it more then when I had my TJ which was once in a blue moon!

Well, yesterday I drove from Denver to Vail to snowboard today. Well when I got to vail spent a hour there only to have a work issue bring me right back and ruin my plans of a epic snow day for today. Left Vail at 9pm and finally got home at 1:30am. I70 and I have a love hate relationship, but this taught me a lot about the jeep being a new owner and all and hours to reflectIMG_0367.JPG

Wipers... noticed other jeeps having the issue and well... they suck I kept icing up. I will switch to prestone deicer when my fluid runs out have always used it before.
Headlights... Suck to begin with, kept icing up. Plan to get those heated truck lights? Any feedback? And worth replacing the fogs too for more light?
Weathertechs - Scored a 3 month old full set off craigslist for $50 couldn't believe it. Do you guys bring a towel or anything for the water that builds up? Also, and I missing clips or something? Not sure about how to lock it in place. I saw something about two clips but the mats work perfect!IMG_0355.JPG

4wd-should have figured this out before, but the ride up was not so bad. Put in 4wd no Issues. Once I headed back it was messy Really messy. I put it in 4wd and then was surprised I was struggling. Then I see the traction control switch and turn it off. Night and day. So I assume you turn this off in snow. I have been meaning to read up on this, however I have been so busy.

Ride - Like I said, the pro comp kit is coming off. Some may like it some may not. I don't I have been in a AEV jeep before and this just wanders so bad. I didn't have a ton of confidence in it again. The wheel seems to have some play right to left. Not much but a tad. For a jeep with 14k on it I would expect a tighter kit. I still plan to replace this in a month or two. Not urgent, but bugs me.

All I can say is I still love this thing, but I can see how these become a constant work in progress.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I have an AEV 2.5". I love it, but people seem to think AEV stuff cures cancer. The wheel is pretty sloppy in a JK, so don't expect the kit to change that. It's still standard JK steering, unless you get a kit with the high steer. In that case, no idea what the change would be.

Mine also still wanders with the 35s. Lifted Jeep life.

Neither of these things are the fault of my lift.

Matt

Adventurer
I run the heated Truck-Lites and really like them. I always used the fogs because the stock headlights are terrible. Now I never use the fogs. The LEDs are super bright and the beam is wider. No issues with them icing up at all this winter so far.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have non heated TLs. They are MILES ahead of the stock lights. I also installed nokya yellow halogen bulbs in my stock fogs, work great too in the crap! I only really turn them on if needed. As for wandering...no lift/setup will fix that. Nature of the beast. You can minimize it tho. AEV is a good way, or I use teraflex for all my suspension stuff and I am running a lower sport control arm. Got my caster back to 4.7 from 3.1.....

jktowhere

Observer
Thanks guys. Makes me almost wonder if I should just get the aev control arm brackets and call it a day. Unlike my tj, I want to kee the build simple. On point and not overbuilt.

I'm about 75% where I want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior