Proposed "imitation" gun law in MA

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Sounds to me like they're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. It seems to me the easiest thing to do would be to paint an orange stripe on any real gun and viola, instant "fake" gun.

In fact, it has been done. A fairly pointless law. Looks to me like someone is bowing to the stupid minority of people who can't think for themselves.
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/watersoaker.asp

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Moved to Sportsman Forum
Um, why? This has nothing to do with sportsmen, more to do with general fireside chat. Sportsmen don't use airsoft, paintball and not normally airguns. Read the proposal. Leaves way to much interpretation as to what is imitation. If passes you could be in violation for a bb gun. All dependant on the interpretation.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Welcome to my world, lovely CA insanity. To be honest I couldn't read the whole thing, but if it "feels good" consider it set in stone.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Um, why? This has nothing to do with sportsmen, more to do with general fireside chat. Sportsmen don't use airsoft, paintball and not normally airguns. Read the proposal. Leaves way to much interpretation as to what is imitation. If passes you could be in violation for a bb gun. All dependant on the interpretation.

Probably because some tards get all riled up when the word "gun" is used. I bet he is trying to move it before those people have a fit.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
i am a pro-gun, pro-2A advocate, but I can see the point behind this bill, and the airsoft industry can only blame itself. Why do we need hyper realistic airsoft weapons? My neighbor is a cop, and a pretty good guy. Last year he almost killed a 14 year old with an airsoft gun that had the red plastic tip removed. It messed him up in the head something fierce. He cant even patrol anymore because he's too full of doubt and wouldn't want to jeapordize a partner by hesitating.

Last edited:

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
So another case where the factory (and federally) required orange tip was deliberately removed, wielded by a young teen who's parents probably knew about it and didn't give a crap? You mandate an orange stripe which would easily be countered with a can of spray paint. If someone willingly defeats the safety aspect of it you're not going to stop them with yet another feel good law. This is just another law that would punish the already vast majority of law abiding users. This assumes anyone who buys an airsoft, paintball or bb gun is doing so with the intent on using it irresponsibly.
This law, as currently proposed, is far too vague and leaves too much room for police to interpret it in order to confiscate private property. Just lazy law making.

K2ZJ

Explorer
What about a gun that looks like a cell phone?

mafia-phone-gun-disovered-1.jpg

Or the shotgun hidden in a Super Soaker?

8669748_448x_252-tfb1.jpeg

Do you wonder why cops shoot people with a "only a cell phone" or a water gun in their pocket?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
When I was a teenager I had an airsoft MP5 that was an exact replica of the real h&k model issued to the Navy Seals, I can only imagine what could have happened if I went out in public with it. This was a good 6-8 years before they started putting orange accents on plastic guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier