M101A3 build

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
image.jpg
I picked up a M101A3 off craigslist. As you'll see from the pictures I'll need to sandblast and powdercoat it to deal with the surface rust, however, there are no major rust issues and the previous owner installed a max coupler. I'm planning on:
- replacing the heavy axle and 37" run flats with a #3500 axle with electric brakes and matching wheels and tires;
- adding a rack for my CVT RTT;
- battery/solar;
- tongue box for the battery and electrical (maybe my fridge as well depending on which way I go with the top).
- water storage and demand pump for shower and washing dishes.
Any other mods I should consider? I'm debating whether to do a hard top or bows/tarp. I want to make sure I keep it as light as possible. If anyone is looking for a M101A3 axle and or 37" run flats in SoCal let me know.

rlynch356

Defyota
let me know what specs you are going with for the Axle. I just picked up a m101a1 that i will need to do the same thing to.

RagnarD

Adventurer
The track width/distance between hub faces will be different for the M101A1 and M101A3. Should also consider the wheel/tire combo when selecting axle.

tarditi

Explorer
looks great! keep us posted! I just picked up an M100 for my JKUR and it needs some TLC. I was hesitant to get a bigger trailer, but yours looks like a great fit!

rlynch356

Defyota
I'm wondering about that - since i drive a Defender 90 (5x6.5 wheel) ideally i would like to get a matching hub and run Defender steel wheels on it with matching tires (265/70 or 285/70-16) once i decide on the truck tire. - sorry to hi-jack

General question to the collective.. Who is the go to for custom Axles for the M101? (helping you out Johnnyenglish since i'm sure you might need to ask this one too)

rlynch356

Defyota
I like R&P carriages for axles.
not familiar with them can you either PM me or post up contact info - thanks

we looked at possibly substituting a LR Salisbury axle or a defender on to it - it's about 1" shorter.. basically to get the hub pattern right.

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
Progress

Finally making progress. Finished the roff top tent rack and tarp bows. I have a raft with a fishing frame that will slide between the tarp bows and the rack. Next up are new axle, wheels, tires and paint.
IMG_7750.JPG
IMG_7751.JPG
IMG_7743.JPG
IMG_7752.JPG
IMG_7753.JPG
IMG_7755.JPG
IMG_7756.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7745.JPG
    IMG_7745.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 49

Buffalobwana

Observer
I get the feeling we may be in for one quality build here. Anyone who uses aluminum framing and grade 8 bolts is someone not afraid to use quality at every turn.

You have set the bar high my friend. Look forward to watching this build.

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
Test Fit raft and tent

I used aluminum because I wanted this thing to be a light as possible. My tow vehicle is a JKU. Was able to put the tent and boat on the rack today and everything fit perfectly. Anyone have pictures of how they did their battery/fridge in a tongue box?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
Trying again on pictures

Trying again to get the pics right side up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 48

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
M101A3 axle with 37" tires in SoCal

I'm replacing my axle with a dexter #3,500 with electric brakes with a 5x5 bolt pattern to match my tow vehicle. If anyone is interested in the the original M101A3 and/or tires in SoCal let me know.

JE

slascalza

M101A3 axle

We just got rid of our axle and tires and put electric brakes on it. it tows so much better now. We have a M101A3 and that thing was heavy. Good job on the RTT rack and boat rack. Looks really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94