Moab April/May

pittsburgh

tacocat
We are planning a Moab trip in April/May and I am trying to figure out which campsite on White Rim we should try to reserve, any suggestions? Also do you think I could pull an offroad tear drop on White Rim? We will be taking our 2nd gen DCSB Tacoma

Thanks
Keith

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Only doing one night? This late in the game it might depend on the availability, April and May are going to already be booked up for the good stuff.

One night the midway point is going to be White Crack, which is awesome. Airport is nice, Murphy is excellent. After that I would say Gooseberry. I can't think of what Candlestick looks like. Then you are down by the river for Potato, Hardscrabble, etc. Hardscrabble is a decent campsite down by the river but if you are only spending a night or two, I would do it at the up high camps on the rim for the views and blow through the river bottom for my money.

Trailer is a tough one. Also depends on the size of your group. They only allow 3 vehicles/15 ppl and they count a trailer as a vehicle. The road itself is not the issue, but a few of the switchbacks are tight and some of the road is very narrow in curvy spots on Hardscrabble. If it's really short you might be ok, but in generally there's a reason you pretty much don't see any trailers on the road. A jeep with an expedition type trailer would be fine.

I tried to take a utility trailer the first time and got talked out of it and ended up leaving it locked up on Mineral bottom road. Most of the trip I kept thinking I could have made it, but by the end I was sure there probably would have been a few spots where I would have had to stop and pull the tail over and might have been close to too wide. A trailer is going to get bounced around and beat up for sure.

pittsburgh

tacocat
Only doing one night? This late in the game it might depend on the availability, April and May are going to already be booked up for the good stuff.

One night the midway point is going to be White Crack, which is awesome. Airport is nice, Murphy is excellent. After that I would say Gooseberry. I can't think of what Candlestick looks like. Then you are down by the river for Potato, Hardscrabble, etc. Hardscrabble is a decent campsite down by the river but if you are only spending a night or two, I would do it at the up high camps on the rim for the views and blow through the river bottom for my money.

Trailer is a tough one. Also depends on the size of your group. They only allow 3 vehicles/15 ppl and they count a trailer as a vehicle. The road itself is not the issue, but a few of the switchbacks are tight and some of the road is very narrow in curvy spots on Hardscrabble. If it's really short you might be ok, but in generally there's a reason you pretty much don't see any trailers on the road. A jeep with an expedition type trailer would be fine.

I tried to take a utility trailer the first time and got talked out of it and ended up leaving it locked up on Mineral bottom road. Most of the trip I kept thinking I could have made it, but by the end I was sure there probably would have been a few spots where I would have had to stop and pull the tail over and might have been close to too wide. A trailer is going to get bounced around and beat up for sure.

Thanks for all of the info!!! I am planning the trip based off of what dates a good camp site is available, as for the trailer I was going to rent a teardrop from Hikertrailer in Denver for a few days I think its a 5 x 8, I suppose if thats too long to pull behind my Tacoma we can settle for a tent. I am tempted to use my jeep for the trip but, the Tacoma is so much nicer for the road trip out there and from what I understand more than capable for white rim.

doubleroses

Adventurer
This is the view from Murphy. I'll have to get on my computer to send you a picture of the top of the switchbacks heading down to Mineral Bottom.

-Joe

uploadfromtaptalk1453916163296.jpguploadfromtaptalk1453916169975.jpguploadfromtaptalk1453916174525.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thefishhawk

Adventurer
those trailers are kind of cool, that gives me a better idea. I love to say it'd be fine but I don't want you out there cursing me if it sucks pulling that ;-) May or June now (I'm betting most stuff is booked since spring is popular) it's going to be nice and warm too, I'd keep it simple but that's just my opinion. The tent camping is pretty good, I can't recall being on bare rock, just sand, or sleep under the stars.

You can probably grab decent youtube's of the trail if you are still undecided on the trailer. In particular look at Hardscrabble, one side is straight up, then a shelf for a minute and then a hairpin turn up a cliff; and on the other side you have to watch for about a mile to make sure no cars are coming, no space to pass, then hug a cliff on a shelf road that goes along the contours. Even in a full sized truck you kind of have to watch not to scrape the wall sometimes with the bed. (last time I did it in a truck and the time before that in a Tahoe, seemed like even having the little bit shorter wheelbase of the tahoe made it easier. but at the same time I read some dudes did it with diesel 2500's with bed campers.) There's also a really long section of deep sand before and after that. But other than there I'm having a hard time thinking of anywhere else that would be a real problem. There's just some short sections that are pretty steep but most of the time you are just kind of plodding along and stopping to take pictures a lot :) (I'm usually driving SAG while everyone else is biking...we've got a permit for end of march but not sure if I'm going yet)

MJCake1

We are planning a Moab trip in April/May and I am trying to figure out which campsite on White Rim we should try to reserve, any suggestions? Also do you think I could pull an offroad tear drop on White Rim? We will be taking our 2nd gen DCSB Tacoma

Thanks
Keith
Checkout my youtube video of the White Rim Trail. We did it 2014 September took 3 days and still wish I would have taken more time.
I drive a 2014 DCSB and I would NOT drag that trailer behind me. Not saying it couldn't be done, I just wouldn't want the hassle.
We stayed at Airport A camp, very good site but that is the first camp going east to west.
How many days are you planning?
Our 2nd camp was Murphy Hogback A. Excellent site. Close to halfway mark plus some.
3rd site was Potato bottom A. Has a nice big Cottonwood tree for shade but no access to the Green River. If u make it past Hardscabble would be better.
Candlestick is nice and wide open as well. I didn't make it to White Crack so I can't say.
https://youtu.be/ThjkhCcBYws

You will love either way. Be safe!
Hope you enjoy the video. Have many more also so Subscribe and give us a thumbs up if you like.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

WhiteH2O

Observer
I did White Rim last year in my GX470 with my Turtleback trailer. The only issue with the trailer was that it slowed us down a tad (not wanting to send it bouncing too much). I didn't find any spots more difficult having the trailer at all. The only reason I wouldn't bring a trailer was if I was in a hurry and didn't want to beat it up by driving fast.

We stayed at Schaffer the first night and Potato Bottom the second. The day driving between the two was toooooo lloooooong. White Crack and Labyrinth were the spots that we decided we wanted to try our next trip. I would do three nights minimum if I were to do it again (especially with a trailer).

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Cool thread! We'll probably roll through Moab on our way to Overland Expo West towards the end of May. I look forward to a trip report so we can decide on what we might want to hit on our short time there.

Cheers

Butch

felttippin

The Hiketrailers are pretty cool.

You can rent a camper trailer from Off The Grid Rentals in Moab (for some reason I cannot post a link in this forum).

JSteffey

We just finished our trip through White Rim Road and got back to Washington yesterday. An amazing trip for sure. We had a slim choice for campgrounds because permits go so fast. There were so many guided bike tours that get a hold of them. We drove 55 miles to candlestick the first day and then 20 miles or so to Labyrinth the second. Both campgrounds were nice but if i had my choice i would have went to Airport the first day and hardscrabble or potato bottom the second. I do agree with WhiteH2O about taking 3 days if you have them.

FYI,

It snowed the the night before we went and the Shaffer switchbacks were super muddy and pulled us close to the cliffs. It was a little sketchy but the road cleared up by the second turn. In normal conditions this road is fine but add water and snow and Hardscrable hill, hogback and the switchbacks can be impassable.

All and all the trip exceeded my expectations in all aspects. You will enjoy it!

Labyrinth Campground
IMG_1168.JPG

Switchbacks
IMG_2483.jpg

Last edited:

hmmar

Observer
Wow, you have all shared a really nice staff of about travelling experience and good personal views about the destination. I like to sight at I am marvelling lover but I have never visited ever in my life outside of USA. So I have been visited Moab the City in Utah, it is a great destination for travelling lovers.

pittsburgh

tacocat
Finally made it to Moab last weekend we did Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners views were beautiful and the Tacoma felt at home, although I think we might take the Jeep LJ next time since I know have to do the trailer plug wiring harness relocation upgrade from playing on the trail below the delicate arch.
e00dd4bfa9076455e3332ef90f701abd.jpg
aa69a636d4dbf5de974e4a8f9759b319.jpg
962ae64cd5b7a65d9ec306696b22fa44.jpg
f69effa434b37e086ba0f33d7a099279.jpg
ecc84be289e8613e62f35349808930ea.jpg
48e3eeee17f5d0c2d8a107ab56b9eb2e.jpg
59c8f30dbcc1c38e4f7800fa14b0aaea.jpg
6d6aaf52d469553d3d10b527ceb635e6.jpg
8ef875070701f942f6920f67eb1b106f.jpg
59c6ed46e5a80a6a445915d68d88f75c.jpg
858414156068991c7ad49d18950d9980.jpg
cfca1ebadb99390b92142cb30fd62d5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr45

Observer
Checkout my youtube video of the White Rim Trail. We did it 2014 September took 3 days and still wish I would have taken more time.
I drive a 2014 DCSB and I would NOT drag that trailer behind me. Not saying it couldn't be done, I just wouldn't want the hassle.
We stayed at Airport A camp, very good site but that is the first camp going east to west.
How many days are you planning?
Our 2nd camp was Murphy Hogback A. Excellent site. Close to halfway mark plus some.
3rd site was Potato bottom A. Has a nice big Cottonwood tree for shade but no access to the Green River. If u make it past Hardscabble would be better.
Candlestick is nice and wide open as well. I didn't make it to White Crack so I can't say.
https://youtu.be/ThjkhCcBYws

You will love either way. Be safe!
Hope you enjoy the video. Have many more also so Subscribe and give us a thumbs up if you like.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Amazing! Great video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles