Bike Rack on a Fuso FG 4x4

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Who is carrying bikes with them on their campers? I'm interested to see your methods of transport.

Anybody running a front receiver hitch with a bike rack? If so make/model?

I'm a little concerned that the stiff suspension and bounce we get when hitting bumps on the highway might launch our bikes off the current Thule hitch rack... But I'm not real excited about mounting them over the cab (hard to lift up and puts them in perfect alignment with tree branches and such).

Thanks

Butch

dlh62c

Explorer
Having just purchased a FAT bike, the 1UP USA bike rack looks like it might securely hold a couple of bikes.

http://youtu.be/Pm-LUMnSTBg

Doesn't your truck have a rear bumper with a built in receiver hitch?

Does the rear body departure angle make attaching a rear bicycle rack problematic?

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
No rear bumper at this point and you are correct, departure angle might be problematic. We had thought about mounting a receiver type adapter after the angled part of the truck, but I'm not sure I want to load my bikes that high up (face level), plus I think they'll really bounce around back there.

IMG_5351.jpg

Healeyjet

Explorer
We hope to go with something like this for our truck but your departure angle may make this one no good.
For ours we will need a receiver hitch extension or I may just add a receiver hitch to the side of the swing out box. Then the bikes will swing when we need access to the back compartment. Either way it is another carrier maker for you to have a look at.

Ward

http://www.swagman.net/product/jackknife-2-63450/

LukeH

Adventurer
No rear bumper at this point and you are correct, departure angle might be problematic. We had thought about mounting a receiver type adapter after the angled part of the truck, but I'm not sure I want to load my bikes that high up (face level), plus I think they'll really bounce around back there.

View attachment 326981

Woa!
Way to lose luggage space! Probably a good thing if your wife's anything like mine :)
Seriously even if you could get an angled rack adding a bit of thickness to that back cut I very much doubt you'll hit them on anything.

I reckon the best solution is a hitch receiver on the front. Then you can use a standard carrier holding the bikes upright. You also get to see when they fall off, or if they get a bit loose.
If they fall off at least you're the one that ran them over; they fall off the back you trash someone else's car. :-D

Please please show me some photos of you pushing that departure angle to the limit; I'm convinced that's a number crunching throwback from small wheel land rover days.
I have a departure angle of 23° and a 1.8 metre overhang, BUT the truck can go down a step of 85cm without touching its rear end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior