WTB - Honda Element AWD

computeruser

Explorer
Looking for a Honda Element AWD, auto trans. Clean, low(er) miles, and good shape is a must. Absolutely no wreck/rebuilds, salvage, etc.

Open to stock or camper-converted with the pop-top roof. They are pretty rare here in Michigan, so any leads would be appreciated.

Info by PM works fine.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I just did a quick search on Kijiji and there seems to be a lot for sale in Ontario. I'm not sure what's involved in importing one from Canada but your money would sure go a lot further up here .

Jason

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
I just did a quick search on Kijiji and there seems to be a lot for sale in Ontario. I'm not sure what's involved in importing one from Canada

Virtually cannot be done until vehicle is 25 years old from the day of manufacture.

winnipegk5

Pretty sure you can bring it from Canada. Our dealers are shipping used vehicles by the truck load to the US daily.

Weezee

There's one on Craigslist for Colorado - High Rockies - I believe it's in Breckenridge. Sounds just like what you want.

Juanblzer

Observer
I had an element with Ursa Minor camper.
I wasn't impressed. The Ursa Minor was awesome but the Honda rattled and shook and had all types of cabin noise. Not even close to the quality of a legit 4wd Toyota. IMHO save your money and get a 4Runner with a quality roof top tent

Also the Honda is very limited aftermarket suspension / goodies. The awd system is also not a "real" system

Scm68

My father has a 2006 Element EX with about 65,000 miles on it. He is in Long Island NY. It is in great shape and meticulously maintained. If its something you might be interested in, let me know and I can forward you his info.

computeruser

Explorer
I had an element with Ursa Minor camper.
I wasn't impressed. The Ursa Minor was awesome but the Honda rattled and shook and had all types of cabin noise. Not even close to the quality of a legit 4wd Toyota. IMHO save your money and get a 4Runner with a quality roof top tent

Also the Honda is very limited aftermarket suspension / goodies. The awd system is also not a "real" system

Thanks for the input but I think this will do what we want it to do, which is to have a boxy thing that my wife can sleep in when we are camping, and the Element is the platform she wants. Not looking for a true 4wd of any sort at this point - been there, done that for 16 years, not keen to do it again at the moment, having moved on to sports cars and twisty paved roads as my primary vehicle-related activity.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Virtually cannot be done until vehicle is 25 years old from the day of manufacture.

Not true if the vehicle was also sold here in the USA. Canada and USA have a reciprocity arrangement, so any Canadian-market vehicle bearing labeling for that market (CMVSS) that is equivalent to the US FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) and EPA standards is eligible for import. Look at form HS-7, part 2B. Depending on the labeling, it might even be co-badged with CMVSS and FMVSS stickers, making it a part 2A import.

Depending on where the vehicle was assembled, you might not even need to pay import duty.

The 25-year rule (HS-7, part 1) only comes into play for vehicles that DO NOT meet US Safety and/or emissions requirements because they were never sold here. Parts 3 through 13 are all the "temporary import", "research" etc. that keep getting Nissan Skyline owners into trouble, so don't play in that pool.

plh

Explorer
Not true if the vehicle was also sold here in the USA. Canada and USA have a reciprocity arrangement, so any Canadian-market vehicle bearing labeling for that market (CMVSS) that is equivalent to the US FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) and EPA standards is eligible for import. Look at form HS-7, part 2B. Depending on the labeling, it might even be co-badged with CMVSS and FMVSS stickers, making it a part 2A import.

Depending on where the vehicle was assembled, you might not even need to pay import duty.

The 25-year rule (HS-7, part 1) only comes into play for vehicles that DO NOT meet US Safety and/or emissions requirements because they were never sold here. Parts 3 through 13 are all the "temporary import", "research" etc. that keep getting Nissan Skyline owners into trouble, so don't play in that pool.

Thanks, didn't know this.

Oh - and BTW I'd skip the Element. Bought one new in 2003. owned for 3 years. Hated every one of them. Although it does haul a lot of stuff. Suicide rear doors suck with a young family.

Juanblzer

Observer
Sorry that I can't help but voice my opinion on the element:
It was so displeasure me that I simply must mention-- the crappy suicide doors , the horrible lack of power(4 cylinder box w/ no v6 option ), horrible mileae, all the plastic that decides to break or stretch at the worst times, lack of weight capacity (2 bikes on a bike carrier would make the element bottom out regularly in street driving), horribly unprotected undercarriage bangs and snags on mildly rutted dirt roads.
The element is a car that is as aerodynamic as a toaster and has the aenemic power of slug. Avoid severe disappointment and bypass the element. Choose a Subaru, Toyota, Nissan or Chevy/ford/dodge.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94