Buildaholic... 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Rocky Ridge Alpine edition.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info on the lift in your rig Slammer. It looks pretty capable:Wow1: and definatly way better than stock. Your floor mats will help to keep the grunge out. Nice addition. Even the small things help your truck along. Thanks for posting, Cheers, Chilli...:):)

PA Slammer

Observer
I'm normally not a fan of fender flares but yours look great, what kind are they?

That's funny... I was thinking I didn't like them as much as the more "in your face" ones with the bolts all around the edge. But now I'm not sure. I'm more of a functional first and aesthetics second kind of guy. That's why I went with the Alpine's 4" lift and not the Altitude's 6" lift. I wanted a bit of clearance, but don't see myself getting into that crazy of a bind. But we know how that goes, another few trips from now I'll be wishing I had that 6" lift!

I did have a little fun scoping out the Green Ridge State Forest in MD today. It's a bit muddy and there is still a ton of snow on the ground. I "almost" crossed a creek, but when my front tires were under water, I bailed. No winch yet, no recover tools yet, no second vehicle there, wife and kids in along for the ride... So I chickened out. Anyway the brown paint hides the mud a bit... Just a little bit. I'll post up a dirty truck pic later. Ended up being a great area. We plan on exploring more later in the spring.

So, I was close to trading in the fender flares, but they are kind of growing on me. I do think the wider ones would keep the mud off the sides a bit more, but not that big of a deal.

The fender flares are made for Rocky Ridge specifically from a small place "down the road" from their shop. Which is what they told me. Give them a call, nice guys, I'm sure they'll help you out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Going to have to look into those floor mats. I bought weather tech's and I was pretty disappointed in them, I have a weather tech in the rear of my 07, its great. I have husky liners in the front of my 07, and in my matrix and I love them, nice tray style with a tall outside edge so everything stays in them, once it freezes its easy to pick the ice chunks out. The weather tech's spill out onto the sill plate and down to the carpet besides the seat. On these trucks there's a large wiring harness that runs under the plastic sill plate on the driver's side and I doubt salt and moisture will be good for that over the long haul.

Good to see you also picked the tasteful Cocoa/dune interior. I'm a sucker for not so common interiors.

catfish1312

I would look into the SCA Performance bumper for your truck. Its the best bumper IMO for the '14-15 GM trucks in either powder coated black or painted to match the body color. It comes with cutouts for 2 Rigid industries 10" LED bars and 2 RI fog lights as well as a mount for a fairlead for $650. They also have a complementary hidden winch mount ($170) that fits the Warn 9.0 RC winch ($1950) on it. When the funds come in for me I will get their G2 package, without the decals, for my 2015 Denali. Yours is looking good so far and I cant wait to see what else is in store for it.
Also you would've been fine in the creek crossing if it was tire deep. I took mine (bone stock with a tonneau on the bed) thru a creek with touching the bottom of the driver door. IDK if this will work but this is the link to the video my buddy got of me crossing the creek. https://goo.gl/photos/gEDMTRUpnth1PbPn7

PA Slammer

Observer
I totally agree with the ability to catch as much mud, water, spills, etc... I had Husky Liners on my 09 Silverado and I also loved them. I just wanted to try something new. I like my new floor liners. I think they are a bit thicker/heavier, whereas the Husky Liners seemed just a little bit thin/flimsy. Although the Husky Liners might be a bit taller/deeper.

Yeah, I love the interior color as well. The Tactical seat covers and dash mat are both going to be black. With the Carbon Fiber trim pieces that are in my truck, I think it'll look pretty good.

PA Slammer

Observer
Funny you should say that. SCA is on my top 2 picks. The other is the Addictive Desert Design Stealth front and Dimple R rear. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger right now is that I can't find a rear bumper that would work well with the SCA. I REALLY love the Go Rhino BR20 rear, but its only for the 2500 Chevy! ******??? So I emailed Go Rhino and asked. Here is their reply...

Hello David,

Thank you for the email. We are planning on releasing bumpers for the ½ ton market in the coming months. Look for your application towards the end of March/ early April.

Regards,

Benjamin Ramirez
Customer Service

Anyway, I'm still undecided with the bumpers. It's a LOT OF MONEY and I want to make sure I get what I want.

Quick question about the SCA, why so inexpensive? Are they that much thinner? I love the design, great lighting options, winch mount, use of original tow hooks... It all works.

Same thing with the Go Rhino, side steps, shackle attachment points, rear light cutouts. Perfect!

The above options are why I'm shying away from the ADD bumpers. They look beautiful, but they don't have the functionality that I'm looking for.

Lastly, the Aluminess bumpers have ALWAYS been my absolute favorites with regards to functionality, but IMHO they look a bit... well... rough, fat, ugly. IDK, I just don't like them. They look OK on the E350 vans, because they match the lines of the headlights well.

I wonder what options are out there for rear bumper storage like the Aluminess boxes for other bumpers like the Go Rhino?

PA Slammer

Observer
Cool video! Where was that?

The creek we "almost" crossed came up OVER my front tires which are 35" when I dipped into it. My back tires were just starting to touch the waters edge. With all the snow melt, the creek was pretty swollen. It was that wide though, which seemed strange... maybe 20'. I was worried the water had cut a channel out. I agree though, probably would have been fine.

Also, what's up with the $1950 price tag on the winch? You can find it at a better deal than that. Right?

PA Slammer

Observer
Can't wait to get my A.R.E. cap so I can design and build the bed area.

My idea is something like this...

bed design.JPG

However, I would like to build the benches/bed higher so I can incorporate a slider with my fridge on the left and a slider with a camp kitchen (don't have one yet) on the right. Although my cap is a lot higher than the one pictured, I'm worried the benches/bed would be too high.

Also, as a side note to my build idea is that if I keep the benches/bed lower I can hang hammocks on either side for my kids. The A.R.E. MX HD has an internal aluminum structure which supports the roof rack allowing it to hold up to 500 lbs. I might be able to easily hang hammocks inside...

A.R.E. HD.JPG

catfish1312

I too was torn between ADD stealth bumper and the SCA bumper, but I like how the SCA one doesn't stand out like most aftermarket bumpers. When I'm done building up the truck (does anyone ever finish?), I want it to look as close to stock as possible, but still be extremely off-road capable and bad*** haha. I found a picture of the bumper painted to match another White Diamond Tricoat GMC.
WDT SCA Bumper.jpg
I'm curious to see what the half ton bumpers will look like because the 2500 bumper looks great. I've never seen anything like the Aluminess with swing-outs like that for GM trucks. I'm looking at the CBI off-road fold down tire carrier so that I won't have to carry the spare everywhere.
For the SCA bumper, according to the G2 video the bumper is made of "cold-rolled, zinc-plated steel" but I cant find anything on the thickness of it. I've been following SCA for a while and about the same time that they released they were building bumpers for the 2016 models, the prices on our model bumpers dropped from $1795 to $650. I assume its the idea that something "newer and better" came out that caused the drop in price. Looking at the 2 pictures of the front and rear bumpers I think the angles of both look like they go together well.
As far as the winch price: I think you could probably buy one online (around $1500 plus shipping) and take it with you when you get the bumper and winch mount installed.
And for the creek crossing: It's a loop off of Horse Pasture Road in Sunset, SC. The main trail is about 8 miles from the entrance on 178 to Jumping Off Rock, a beautiful overlook of Lake Jocassee. Its in a South Carolina Wildlife Management Area and to keep the human pressure off of the surrounding area, the trails that shoot off of the main trail are only open during hunting seasons. The offshoots are open from September 15 to January 1 and then again from March 20 to May 10. The creek that I crossed was on a loop to the north of the main trail. If you ever come this way I'll gladly show you the trails, I'll take any excuse to go out on trails haha.

PA Slammer

Observer
Just researched the SCA bumper a little more. Looks like their winch is actually competitively priced in that they use 100' of cable instead of 50' of synthetic, which most $1600 equivalent Warn winches on sale use.

Anyway, I just emailed SCA. The painted models are almost double the price. Good thing I plan on Line-Xing my bumper. Also, shipping is $400. Driving would cost me $150 in fuel. So there might be a trip to AL in my near future.

Bojak

Adventurer
What do you think? Would these two be bad ***???<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
attachment.php
<br />
<br />
attachment.php

Those are really good looking. Is the front able to accept a winch? Can't really tell from the pic.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PA Slammer

Observer
What do you think? Would these two be bad ***???<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
attachment.php
<br />
<br />
attachment.php

Those are really good looking. Is the front able to accept a winch? Can't really tell from the pic.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yep, it sure does!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke