KGH's Defender

The Rover Shop

Explorer
If Australia is down under and upside down....by the look of your photos you must be halfway there.....I'm getting a crooked neck looking at these pics..:)

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Everyones a critic. I needed a laugh at 630am Shayne, thanks. Uploading from iPhone is challenging for me, can't ever remember if portrait or landscape shows up better.

After Nak visit, we have driven into town and walked around old town part of Nürnberg. Really nice city, lots of old and recent history. Going from a websit "ThirdReichInFlames" we are seeing all of the buildings as they were in Adolph's time, and how they are now. It is a little disconcerting.

Today we are going to see Nürnberg castle, and maybe a few of the churches.

On a different note, the Defender wave is big in Deutschland. 2 130s, 3 110s have all waved while passing. The Defender brotherhood is alive and well.

I keep seeing a lot of Land Cruiser Troopys and wreckers. If the 110 breaks down, I would have an aversion to being towed by a 'yota, out of principle. Lol.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Maastricht

Been very busy, awaiting internet hook up at new apartment (2 weeks from order is normal). We have travelled about a bit, seeing old friends and such. Will update once we get online, as posting over 3G is painful. Will post pics of my buddy's father in law's SeriesIII that he restored in his garage for an upcoming Belgium to Mongolia trip.

Also got hooked up with the small local Defender owners group. Cool stuff. Hopefully will get a good group of Yanks and Euros to do Abenteur und Allrad.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
So you work for Eucom or AFRICOM? We just did our stint a couple years ago and brought back an '85 300GD as our momento.

Only bummer over there is that there is NOWHERE to enjoy that vehicle anywhere close- at least not in Baden Wurtemberg.

Just be sure to find an older diesel 110 or 90 to bring back- but only look for Italian or Spanish ones as the rust is a BIG problem there.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Looking good my man! Hey, did the Wingtop Vents make it overseas to go on the Puma...or are they stuck back here in The States :)?

Sorry for delayed response. Waiting on internet install at house.

Nothin here. Hopefully they find way back to you. And check your PM.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
image.jpg

Buddy's dad's Rover. Went for a visit, Teuven, Belgium. This is the one for the Mongolia trip. Nice truck, but now he wants a bigger on. He's had this 25 years.

Michele

Observer
Should you ever think of driving down to Italy, say Val Di Susa and the Alps or the Apennine, let me know :)

There's a nice LR get-together planned for the beginning of June, in Tuscany.
A couple of friends will come from Austria in their 110 and 130...just saying.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Tom-not been online much, just saw this. Nakatanenga's are all one size I believe. If you want I cam measure, or their site may show it.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
image.jpg
So a strange week in Brussels last week, was in town for meetings, used the truck to run people out of Belgium to Frankfort airport so they could get home.

image.jpg
I spend the weekend doing some dynomat work.

Pulled up the rear carpet to discover that famous Land Rover quality that Tata Motors/JLR have kept on in tradition.
These bolts, and the missing one in the front floor pan, will be addressed at next service. Glad I have warranty. Hell, none of my old Disco's was slapped together like this. The bolts show now signs of ever been torqued, the washers under them are unmarked. Hats off the the lazy ponce on the assembly line. Wanker.

On the plus side, I now have a quiet Defender. Road noise is greatly reduced. Still need to do doors and then pull down headliner to do roof.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Warranty Work

Fun times in the land of rules.

We bought our 110 with LR CPO warranty. Then find out that selling dealer has basically first right of refusal; If we want anything fixed by another dealer, we have to get the selling dealer to approved the work.

Experiencing some nice drivetrain noises, both from front and rear of driveshaft. Looks like rear R&P need adjustment, and from what I gather on other sites, Pumas are known for output shaft issues. At least it is under warranty, and I arranged permission for local dealer to fix.

The best part is I am booked in for service...in 2 weeks!

We have LR roadside and ADAC (German AAA) so we are off to Austria next week, if it breaks, F' em. They can pick it up and fix it.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Decisions...

Time to source a rack. Eezi-Awn K9 or GMB are my top choices as unladen they will fit in the garage.

The GMB are very low profile, and may make mounting a RTT difficult. Can cover the flat part of the 110 roof for about 2,500 USD.

EeziAwn would be half that, but I believe it would sit too tall.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also saw a nice 110 with stickers from this year's Budapest-Bamako rally.

8,000 kilometers, 16 days, and supports charities doing work in Africa. Looks like a blast. Next one is Jan 2018. Planning on doing if stars align.
image.jpg

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Pics

image.jpg
Defender tour in Crete

image.jpg
Wife taking tour pics

image.jpg
Saw an uparmoured Cruiser with aftermarket rims, winch, etc.
Having driven these, not the most stable, but literally a bullet proof build!

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Here he goes with the sideways pics again...sheesh..

In order to ensure continued fine relations between the US and AUS, I did a search on the forum to try to increase my prowess, and not post sideways pictures. I did not find anything. The ipad does not make photo management intuitive, as they look fine here!

I think I will take all photos at a 45 degree angle and just tell Shayne we were on an incline.

In other news, transited from Stuttgart to the Black Forest where we camped for the night next to a quiet stream, then on to Austria. The Bodensee is very pretty area. Were planning on making it to Zell am Ziller but the traffic slowed us down. Ended up finding a spot in Ötztal, which just happened to be near the largest waterfall in Tirol, Stuibenfall. Had Tirolean food (excellent) and then hit the road for Vienna, where I have a few days of meetings.
Saw three other Defenders, and a cool G wagen long box pickup on roads.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94