KGH's Defender

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Work has transferred the wife and I to Germany for the foreseeable future. The LR4 went into storage, so we picked a 2012 Defender from a dealer in Augsburg. Due to the status of my employment, I am not subject to VAT (a 19% Value Added Tax common here) so it was basically 20% off sticker. Decided to go with newer model due to:
- Restrictive emissions. Unless we bought a 30 year old car, we would be restricted as to where the car can be driven. Stuttgart is experiencing China like smog lately.
- I am on the Autobahn a lot. Not trying to set a record, just keep up in the left lane. the 2.0 NA or early TDi's cannot.
- Wife wanted dependable Rover, the LR4 spoilt her. This has low miles, and is CPO, with attendant warranty and roadside assistance.

But the bottom line is I am fortunate enough to be able to own a damn near new Defender, and drive the tar out of it the next few years.

Keswick Green with white roof, winter comfort pack (heated seats and windscreen), bluetooth, 5 seat cloth interior, AC, power steering and windows. And Boost alloys for the Defender Source guys who see this..lol.

Looking forward to some good trips, camping, and getting to know other European Overlanders.

Already geeked about Abentuer und Allrad event in May.
IMG_5921.jpg

IMG_5928.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5926.jpg
    IMG_5926.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

GREENI

Adventurer
Drop me a line if you venture to the UK.... I'll guide you around North Wales or the Peak District.
Plenty of pics in my album.

Love Keswick Green...the choice of the very very last Defender.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Sorry not hitting my PMs...getting settled in and all.

We are definite on for a UK trip. Have friends in the successionist north! Will check out the pics, and make contact. You have a mate at Abenteur und Allrad...and a Nakatenenga contact now!

SkyNews had a great Defender tribute segment today. It is a sad time, hopefully the new D will not be a British Honda Pilot.

GREENI

Adventurer
Fab!! I always wish to go to the A&A show. Please drop me a line if you come up. If you work for Nak, is it Brendan that you know up in the UK ?

Kgh

Let’s go already!
I don't work for Nak, I am just willing to carry anything if I come your way. That place is like Candyland. Great bits of kit. I am lusting after a Stainless spare carrier.

GREENI

Adventurer
I see!! Yeah Nak stuff is nice, for sure! Though I'm sure a Mantec wheel carrier will do the job, just less 'jewels'.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Spotted some nice stuff on the road today. The little green job is a Fiat Panda 4x4. Think Italian Lada.

Spent a bit of time thinking of how to fit out rear (drawer, storage, occasional sleeping) and looking at cruise control. Also reading of recalls on items like front hub shearing off. Yikes.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpeg

wildorange

Observer
@KGH

When you do manage to get a UK trip in, on route up north or return you may want to check out 'Brownchurch' Land Rover (E.London).

We've a few over-landing events in various nationwide locations & very popular with our green leaning & 4x4 community.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Brownchurch. The Mecca of racks. Will swing by once we swing that way. Thanks.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Plates, legal, and rolling.

We had title in hand, check was thru, took a few visits to DMV, first time did not have our TUV, to get plates.

Wife and I got up early, took rental car to airport, caught train to Stuttgart Hofbahnhapt, and then a train to Augsberg. Beautiful trip, 1:40 travelling time.

We got tomthe dealer with plates in hand. It was raining, but the 110 was cleaned and on showroom floor.
image.jpg

The wife got a coffee while I signed paperwork. One does not do business here without coffee.
image.jpg

We left the dealer and had a sandwich and coffee at a nice bakery. Then onto the A8 for Autobahn fun. Truck did great, 120khm/75Mph easy, didn't push too hard. Cruise control will be a requirement. Heater works well, keeps windows clear when AC mode is on, had drafty cool air coming up from the backseat, seat heaters worked well. No lag or bogging down on inclines/grades. And heated windshield helped with mini-blizzard.
image.jpg

Only saw 1 truck cooler than mine. MBenz Training Center in Vaihingen has an AMG G Wagen, Brabus, 6x6 crew cab in their window. What a beast.

So a great day. All in all a good start.

Last edited:

Kgh

Let’s go already!
...solid respect to anyone who drives a 110/130 without power steering. Tight city traffic was tough WITH PS.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
First impressions

We have had the truck for a little bit now, and some ideas are developing. Do not mistake any critique, we freaking love this thing.

According to Topix, our L316 (Defender) was completed in 25Sep2012, and first sold 19Nov2012.

The build sheet on our German spec car shows that it came originally with steel wheels, so the Boosts are a dealer or owner mod. Other than that, it is all as it came from Solihull.

It is fun to drive, except it is so damn big compared to most other European cars. Parking can be tight. There are a lot of Tiefgarages here, which means underground parking. With a bare roof we have to ensure the garage hight is labelled as 2.1 meters, as the 2M garages are too short. A roof rack would equal trying to find a surface parking area, so we know that is coming.

The mirrors could use larger heads. Coming from an LR4 I am used to a mirror with some surface area. The stock Defender mirrors are tiny.

Road noise is a concern. Ours is carpeted, but it goes from the loadspace, up the sides and top of the wheel arches, and does not extend up the body side to the capping. I sill source some Dynomat and carpet to cover and tidy this area up. The ExMoor kits actually do cover this area, it is a wonder why stock trim does not.

The seating position will require we get the Nakatenenga or whomever's seat extenders. At 6'2" I am sitting pretty close against the wheel.

I am amazed how much a 2013 model year vehicle drives like a 1972 Ford F-150 with junkyard Pinto bucket seats thrown in.

Whats next? The aforementioned seat risers. Sourcing and installing an Alpine subwoofer (factory type, installs on rear of the cubby). A little sound deadening. Cruise control as I stated in an earlier post. Then we will get out and see how it goes. No tough stuff without additional rigs, of course. But we need to see what Europe brings before we start adding bits to the truck. We did bring most of our camping kit with us. Lightweight folding chairs, Big Agnes tent, sleeping bag and mummy, camp pots and pans, Kelty tarp, lanterns, etc etc. And our propane Coffee Pot (the one Shane laughs at!).

We have seen some really cool rigs, and actually get smiles from people, and Defender waves from the kitted out people. Had many invites to venture forth, some from this thread, and many from my work associates in other areas such as NOR, FIN, and SLK. Cannot wait till we are in the new apartment, and have weekends and holidays free to just..go.

We did put one mod on yesterday, from an event I went to last fall. It looks good, IMO:
IMG_6029.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne