99 Grand Cherokee Adventure Rig

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yes, the budget boost is cheap, but it does absolutely nothing to increase load capacity or improve handling.

Are there lift kits out now for the WJ that increases load capacity?
When I was looking a few years back for a kit (Clayton, and the others) for my WJ, all the lift kits reduced load and towing capacities. Also at that time, the lifts available were considered to be less stable on the road.
Times change, and that's a good thing! :beer:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Are there lift kits out now for the WJ that increases load capacity?
When I was looking a few years back for a kit (Clayton, and the others) for my WJ, all the lift kits reduced load and towing capacities. Also at that time, the lifts available were considered to be less stable on the road.
Times change, and that's a good thing! :beer:

Read up on Old Man Emu, handles load better than anything else on the market for a direct replacement spring. The progressive rate springs will amaze you, I have had 13 bags of concrete mix(13x50=650lb) in the back of the Montero before and only compressed the suspension a bit over 1.5 inches, handled like nothing was even in the back and steering was not affected by the added weight.

chasespeed

Explorer
Id love to see the spring rates for the OME vs say the IRO springs. Makes me wonder if times have changed or not.

You're going to find softer more linear rates with the IRO and Clayton stuff. These lifts are made to WHEEL. Extremely flexible.

OME springs are progressive, and made for better load carrying, stock-like handling, and small lift, with close to stock ride ride height.

I've used the OMEs in several different vehicles, the last one, I used OME shocks too. Was very happy with the set-up.

You can't go wrong either way.

Be honest with yourself how much you're going to load the WJ.

Check through this thread for inspiration, etc.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/60827-The-Triple-Threat-Grand-Cherokee-(2003-WJ)

There are a few other travel based builds on WJs out there....

Chase

Psykokustomz

I pieced my OME 3in HD lift together for my WJ. So far it has hauled trailers and taken me in to the back country with success. I can also set the cruise and haul down the interstate without a second thought.

Jeep 5.jpg
Jeep 9.jpg
Jeep 4.jpg
Jeep 7.jpg

Psykokustomz

I haven't felt or seen any limitations as of yet. I do wish the rear springs were a bit stiffer when I had the trailer on it but that's about it. I believe they are 265/75 r17, might be 70 series but I'm pretty sure they are 75. I think everything would tuck in better if I didn't add the wheel spacers, but the flares help with that issue quite a lot.

Yea I'm planning on running the Bushwacker Cutout Flares myself. So that will give me some added space. So thinking about it the most gear we will probably carry not including bumpers is 4-600 lbs. So with bumpers do you guys think the OME kit would be the best option or the 4"LA? Not planning on any crawling. I read some of Ksmiths page and looked like he would have been happy with his 4"LA if he hadn't gotten into crawling at all.

Psykokustomz

I think the OME Heavy Duty kit is a great option for the initial cost. But with everything you will always find limitations and want to upgrade one part or another. For what my needs/wants are right now out of the jeep it has been more than sufficient.

Ok I think I have finally figured out where to start. After reading Lecoq's thread Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside! which progressed through the OME lift and ended with a 4.5" LA because the OME HD lift couldn't handle the weight of the rear bumper and tire carrier along with a full load of gear. I highly recommend it very informational. I am going to start with a 4-4.5" Lift. Now I am just trying to decide what the main differences are between a SA and a LA lift.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Ok I think I have finally figured out where to start. After reading Lecoq's thread Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside! which progressed through the OME lift and ended with a 4.5" LA because the OME HD lift couldn't handle the weight of the rear bumper and tire carrier along with a full load of gear. I highly recommend it very informational. I am going to start with a 4-4.5" Lift. Now I am just trying to decide what the main differences are between a SA and a LA lift.

Here you go https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wj+short+arm+vs+long+arm+suspension+lift

Wjlizard

If you have the funds go fully adjustable long arm you won't regret it. If you don't have the cash to pony up all at once go with a basic 4" kit (make sure when ordering you let them know your intentions).build from the basic kit to suit your needs . Due to the steep angles of the control arms on a sa kit the ride will be harsh not unliveable just not the ride you had before the lift. A long arm set up greatly decreases those angle and makes for a near stock ride with the tires properly inflated. Don't forget you will need at a minimum a new front driveshaft and a t-case drop or a hack-n-tap .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

chasespeed

Explorer

SA Is cheaper.
However, it will bind sooner. Along with a host of other issues you may, or may not be able to live with.

LA arm lift will improve on road manners/handling/feel, off road articulation. Kits are usually beefy. I can only speak for the Clayton kit, but, it's beefy as hell, AND adds strength to the unibody. My 99 can still open and close doors with no effort. No sagging.

Major negative with a LA lift is cost, both to purchase, and install(if you're not doing it yourself). But, if you plan on keeping the Jeep, worth it in my opinion. Rebuild able joints, blah blah.

Chase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife told me when I started looking at this that since we have put so much money into the jeep already fixing things we are not getting rid of it. She says we can hand it down to my oldest, but i dont think so :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior