Starting to plan Disco 2 overland preparation

clint70

So, I'm hoping to leverage the experience here for some advice on outfitting a LR Disco 2 for overland trips. At this point I have the truck mechanically sound and running well. Now I would like to plan out the interior layout / requirements.

I think I will be starting with power (12 v/110 v/solar setup), then look at storage (tools, recovery gear, camping gear)... and perhaps a RTT? depending. But I am looking at doing this is small phases (for cost planning). So the power / solar, looking for thought? Storage - my big questions is pre-built or home-built

Appreciate any advice or guidance on the best way to save time/effort :D Maybe get to see some of the solutions you have put together.

Cheers!!
THIS IS MY RIG:
12565370_10156440984945162_6298662189414343084_n.jpg_MG_4848.jpg

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Drawers/sleeping platform does wonders if you don't have a RTT yet.

A few guys (not me... yet) have had good luck with running dual battery systems and a manager with solar panels that will keep their systems topped off, very neat stuff. Maybe, half DIY, half manufactured (professional) systems?

Stariont3

I have just started mine. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

My idea is to run a split charge system with a 110 Ah leisure battery with an 80w solar panel to top up the charge.
I have a 1200w inverter to run 230v ( uk voltage)
I have removed my two seater rear seat and now I am building a platform to place a 60ltr engel fridge on. image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 22

clint70

Love the look... do you have the plans? Also, where did you get the mesh guard for the load area, been looking for something like what you have. But over all that is exactly what I was looking for. Also love the stove / folding panel on the rear door.

Where did you find the drawer? That would be great... AND I would not have to build one ;)

I have been tossing the idea around about the smaller battery and setting up the isolated 110v setup... that would be easier for sure / cheaper maybe? Once I get going, I'll post my thoughts/plans here. Thanks a ton for the great pictures and the look at your rig. Cheers!

Stariont3

The full height dog guard is from a discovery 3 and altered to fit ( not slot of work) and the cooker housing and draw came from a company called mobile storage systems.
Made for a defender really but again I adapted it to fit.

redriderrick

VERY DISCO
Love your set up... gonna steal your wiring ideas, those fit in quite nicely. :D I'll post photos once I'm done. Should be before End Feb / Early March. Keep the great ideas coming...

Awesome. I've gotten a lot of ideas from the forums. I'm always stoked when people get ideas from my build!

Exploder
Don't make this too complicated.

Remove the second row of seats if you don't need them for the kiddos. Get some good boxes. I like Pelicans and have had good luck finding them on craigslist for cheap. Buy a tent if you don't already have one. Put all of your camping items in the cases. Load them in the truck. Strap them down. Go.

All of the time spent cobbling could be spent driving around in the boonies.

djaraceandrally

Adventuring somewhere...
Great looking build.

I took the single seat out of the rear bench then made a frame to bolt my fridge too using the original seat fixings. Kept it a 4 seater if required and I access the fridge through the side door. I placed the ARB canopie over it, helps if it's raining. Also leaves more space in the boot (trunk). I guess we build to suit our needs and get good ideas from all.

I'll take from this thread the LED lighting strips above the draws, great idea.

Will try and post some pictures of mine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior