Big Bend National Park and Ranch State Park - January 2016

Davidw

Observer
Man we had a blast. We were leery of crashing the party of a guys only trip but I think that it is safe to say we all had a blast. My daughter Bailey really shines on these trips. She is a homeschooler and we use any opportunity to learn things outside of a classroom setting. The stock 100 did great but I would have lost my rear mudflaps on Black Gap Road. Driving Nolen's rig on that trail was a blast. The Iron Man Pros are incredible. Nolen, Andy and Patrick were all great and we had a trip to remember for a lifetime. We will be back.

Fireman

wngrog

Adventurer
Fireman.....it was a trip of a lifetime that is for sure. We were all missing our kids after watching her have so much fun.

One thing of note, when you are getting out of the area in Marfa you have a couple of egress routes that will take you home.

I recommend going due north via Fort Davis and the Davis Mountains. Check out my "Summer and Solo" trip report on my loop around these mountains and the Observatory.

This time we were pressed for time so we skirted the east side and out. This stretch of highway is nearly as beautiful as FM170.

IMG_4278-X3.jpg

IMG_4277-X3.jpg

Bloomer

Andy mentioned the trip and I was hoping to go. Unfortunately work called me to Houston the week you all left and I didn't get home till late Friday. There was no way I could get out there in time to make it worth the drive. I'm a bit embarrassed I've lived in Texas most of my life and have never been. Looks incredible!

I'm in for the next trip if a South Texan can tag along!

SmoothLC

Explorer
Yea, I read that one shortly after you posted it. At those temps, I think I would have melted. Thanks for the tips.

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
Funny story.

I actually passed you guys between Ft. Stockton and Marathon that morning.

I remember, as the only people I saw between the two towns that morning was a group of Land Cruisers with RTTs! :D

It made me smile, as I was in my work truck.

2014-12-17 13.53.33.jpg

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
AWESOME PHOTO JOURNAL

I can never get enough of BBNP and BBSP. As others have mentioned, your pictures are truly beautiful. So many exceptional vistas to enjoy.

Thank you for sharing.

:ylsmoke:

keylay

Adventurer
Awesome post!
Whats crazy, is that i've lived in Texas for a majority of my life, and never been to Big Bend. Gasp!
I plan on going in the Fall of 2016, when work is slow. So, for back country camping like you did, you must get a permit? And that permit cannot be booked? Did you bring fuel with you?

wngrog

Adventurer
You can get the backcountry permits 24 hours before. In BBSP you can get anytime.

No gas needed in the NP....the store at Panther Junction fuel pumps are open 24 hours.

My next trip to the State Park.....I will take gas. That place is at the end of the world. I did not need it for our trip, but we only covered a portion.

Last edited:

pmccraney

You can get the backcountry permits 24 hours before. In BBSP you can get anytime.

No gas needed in the NP....the store at Panther Junction fuel pumps are open 24 hours.

My next trip to the [STATE PARK].....I will take gas. That place is at the end of the world. I did not need it for our trip, but we only covered a portion.

Just to clarify my traveling compadre - I think you meant State Park on gas. It was an awesome trip. Can't wait to go back, would love to hit a few of the points we missed in the national park (e.g. hot springs - and maybe camp at loop camp) and then spend a couple of days exploring the trails and spurs in the state park.

Nolen takes good flicks, so he's hard to follow but I'll add a few of his and a few of mine.

Approaching the Park

Solis Campsite

Looking down on the cruisers (as specs in the distance) from Mariscal mine

Fireman David and Daughter enjoying the view from peak next to Mariscal

Attachments

• image-4-XL.jpg
    image-4-XL.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

pmccraney

Camping at Terlinqua Abajo (Santa Elena Canyon in background)

Black Gap with Elephant Tusk in background

Ernst Tinaja

Old Mavericks facing S.E. Canyon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94