The planning stages, input needed

i bike

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm in the beginning stages of deciding on a camper/mild expo rig solution that will fit my needs. My main objective is to have a rig for weekend getaways, mostly camping in primitive sites off forest service roads. Long term goal is to be able to use the same setup to complete a multi-month road trip thru the US and Canada.

I am a hardcore mountain biker, the majority of my travels are to bike destinations. This setup will serve as my base camp as well as transportation to trailheads and bike parks. So parkability is crucial. For the majority of my travels I will be solo, so space isn't too critical. But, I will be traveling with a few mountain bikes as well as a fair amount of gear.

I have explored lots of options including but not limited to 4x4 van conversions (U-Joint), Sprinter conversion and class C RVs to name a few. So far I feel the best option to meet my needs would be a truck/slide in camper combo. I was hoping to get some input from the gurus on this site to see if I'm on the right track, or if there is a better option I am overlooking.

Here's the short list of requirements I have thus far

• 4x4 with mild offroad capabiltiy
  • Ability to seat 4+ adults for daytrips
  • Sleeping accommodations for one person full time, with occasional overnight guests
  • Bathroom with shower
  • Carry a 450 moto on a hitch mount tray
  • Carry and be able to secure 3 mountain bikes, preferably inside
  • Carry and store basic tools and recovery equipment
  • Occasionally tow a friends 20 foot travel trail in addition to my own setup for weekend trips to the mountains
  • Ability to get in and out of dirt camp spots and trailhead parking lots
  • Carry a variety of camping and outdoor gear, possible a hardside kayak
  • 400 mile plus fuel range
  • Solar with battery storage, ability to boondock for up to a week
  • Budget of $30k conservatively, up to $40k

I currently own a half ton pickup, but it is 2wd so will not meet the first requirement on my list. In looking at slide in campers and the payload I'd like to carry, it looks as though I will be needing a 3/4 ton or possibly a one ton pickup. Obviously my budget restricts me to the second hand used markets for both truck and camper.

I'm beginning to go cross-eyed exploring options, I'd love any input you guys can offer. Thanks!!

foxhunter

Adventurer
I would go with a one ton 4x4 and consider a flatbed with a slide in for that as it gives you more space and can put boxes for storage under the bed. Only a couple companies that I know of make campers for flatbeds though. Go with single rear axle if possible, so rocks don't get stuck in the dual rear wheels and tear up two tires at once. winch on the front. try to get one with locking rear diff. Good luck with that budget. Especially if you are going to have a camper on it and tow as well, you would not be happy with the 3/4 ton, and I wouldn't be too concerned about having dual rear wheels if I was going to tow much.

i bike

I would go with a one ton 4x4 and consider a flatbed with a slide in for that as it gives you more space and can put boxes for storage under the bed. Only a couple companies that I know of make campers for flatbeds though. Go with single rear axle if possible, so rocks don't get stuck in the dual rear wheels and tear up two tires at once. winch on the front. try to get one with locking rear diff. Good luck with that budget. Especially if you are going to have a camper on it and tow as well, you would not be happy with the 3/4 ton, and I wouldn't be too concerned about having dual rear wheels if I was going to tow much.

Thanks for the input! I've actually been checking out some F350s in my area with crew cab, 4x4 and a service body. I've found them as low as $10k with a gas motor and closer to $20 with a diesel. The service body would definitely help with my storage requirements. I'm in the southwest, so the used camper market is flush. I've been able to find a few slide-ins meeting my requirements for around $10-15k depending on age and amenities. I'm really hoping to get into truck and camper for under $30k, and then outfit the rig with suspension, wheels, tires, bumpers and a winch for around $8k

Darwin

Explorer
with a service body expect the camper to be extremely tall unless you plan on modifying the boxes, most standard stock slide in campers do not fit well with the service body. You could also save some money or use it to upgrade the camper by eliminating the bumpers and winch, both items that don't seem to not get used often, and according to your requirements maybe not at all. If those are must have items then go for it. Personally I would rather use that money for things like a refrigerator that actually worked(most gas RV refrigerators are junk) and solar.

i bike

Been doing some more homework and have all but decided on a truck. In the process of finding the right 2004-2007 Ram 3500 CTD (5.9) crew 4x4 SRW short bed. From the research I've done, it looks like a sub 130k mi truck can be had for right around $20k.

I've foregone the utility bed idea for now, I'm looking into making a modular, removable rear seat storage system. I'd prefer to keep the standard bed for day to day use.

As far as campers, I've narrowed it down to Outfitter, Northstar, Hallmark and a few other "offroad" style pop-ups. Used campers in the size and feature list I'm looking for a ranging anywhere from $10k-18k depending on age, condition and options.

Looks like I'll be at the upper end of my budget by the time I acquire a camper, truck and add a small lift, tires and some recovery equipment. Fortunately, it definitely looks doable though!

mathers420

Observer
Since your goal is mountain biking (not exploring with your truck) I would keep it as close to stock as possible until you determine you NEED upgrades.
A highlift and some knowledge will get you very far without having to throw a bunch of money into your truck.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Three bikes inside? That takes up a lot of space. You need something big and open inside. Most slide in campers will not hold a single bike due to their layout. I have seen sprinters used in the configuration you want but not with your budget. Have you considered a box van, service truck or ambulance with a 4x4 conversion?

Monroe

Monroe
Been doing some more homework and have all but decided on a truck. In the process of finding the right 2004-2007 Ram 3500 CTD (5.9) crew 4x4 SRW short bed. From the research I've done, it looks like a sub 130k mi truck can be had for right around $20k.

I've foregone the utility bed idea for now, I'm looking into making a modular, removable rear seat storage system. I'd prefer to keep the standard bed for day to day use.

As far as campers, I've narrowed it down to Outfitter, Northstar, Hallmark and a few other "offroad" style pop-ups. Used campers in the size and feature list I'm looking for a ranging anywhere from $10k-18k depending on age, condition and options.

Looks like I'll be at the upper end of my budget by the time I acquire a camper, truck and add a small lift, tires and some recovery equipment. Fortunately, it definitely looks doable though!

If you'd like to discuss a Northstar 850 SC, let me know via this thread or a PM. Good luck with your project.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz