Quick Trip to Virginia City The Hard Way

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
This summer I decided to introduce the family to overlanding with some short trips to some local destinations. We live in Reno so there are a few cool places that are worth seeing and require a 4x4. Virginia City isn't one of them. Worth seeing, yes, but there are 2 paved roads to get there. There are also a number of the original toll roads that provided access and egress for miners and ore. Jumbo Grade Road is one of them. It requires a 4x4 over the capacity of a Subaru/crossover.

It's definitely a cool way to get to Virginia City. Feels remote and approaches town from above where you can see all the mining and settlement remainders in the area. Much cooler than rolling up on the road like a tourist.

Here's a video guide I made fore getting there. Definitely worth the trip if you're in the area!

Cheers,

-Mike

Tazman

Adventurer
Great job. I especially liked the family flavor. Did the same thing with my family quite a few years ago. I'm curious, What software did you use to put the video together? I'm planning some adventures that I would like to share with others.

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
Thanks!

Any time there isn't snow would work for this trail. Though that side of the valley never gets that much so you could probably do it any time. Even in the dead of winter, the snow will melt off after a couple warm days. However, Virginia City has more going on in the spring and summer. So the train will be running, everything will be open and the cowboy shows will run.
Great work on the video. What time of year is best to try this one out?

Hicks

If you don't mind me asking, how old is your youngest, and how did they do being all jiggled around? I have a 14 month old, and I'm not sure when to start her on trails.

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
Little guy was maybe 10 months at the time. It wasn't too bad bump wise, we had a little head cradle pillow for him. My wife reached back to keep his head stable when it was really bad, except when I made her get out and shoot video... He's 14 months now and we're gonna do death valley at spring break. I plan to stop frequently for excursions and breaks.

Full on 4x4 i probably wouldn't do much of, but dirt roads are fine in my completely unqualified opinion.

-M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior