full size SUV shocks

Ironhead Jed

what are you guys running for shocks?

I am looking to replace the oem shocks on a 2003 z71 tahoe.

the go to seems to be bilstien 5100's, but i am not as impressed by most with them, although my only experience is in a much lighter jeep TJ. usually very large collapsed length and a bit stiff on smaller bumps.

a few that i have been looking at are fox 2.0's, bilstein 5100's, and the newer ranch RS5000X, which has been getting some great reviews.

I am not looking to lift this truck more than turning the front keys a small amount to bring up the front end an inch or so. I will be adding air bags to the rear coils for towing but not planning on any rear lift. I am building this truck more as a tow rig as my offroad and expo vehicle is my TJ.

not sure if it matters but i'm also planning on swapping in the NNBS calipers and rotors for more braking power, but i dont think that will affect shock choice.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Kyb or Bilstein are both good options, I have ran both on our 3/4 ton truck. And shocks do affect braking more than you would think.

Ironhead Jed

And shocks do affect braking more than you would think.

I dont discount that at all, just adding info if for some reason swapping larger calipers and rotors would cause some interference. which i couldnt imagine they would, but i havent dont the mod yet so im not 100% sure

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I run Monroe reflex monotubes on my suburban z71. They are awesome, inexpensive if you can get them on the bogo deal, and lifetime warranty for every possible situation. They ride great, handle great, great off road and provide great control. I have KYB on my 2003 F150, but they are getting changed to Monroe reflex this spring.

I highly recommend them for stock and leveled rigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles