So why start with the E350 instead of other Eseries?

ACFaulk

SE Expedition Society
Love the van builds! Especially the Eseries. I suppose the purpose of my post is to get opinions of other E series vans. I drive a jeep today but would love more room and the ability to camp with a van. However not sure I need the power that a large diesel gives me. The big diesels are also getting harder to find as well so what about a 250 or 150 with a gas engine? I know ujoint has kits for these vans but don't see a lot of people starting builds for these or am I just not looking in the right place which could be the case too. Any thoughts on what to look for in a gas engine if I go that way? I feel like I have a good handle on the diesel (that is 6.0 vs 7.3) in the E350.

Thanks

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Main reason to go with E-350 or 250 vs a 150 is higher GVWR, bigger brakes, full-floating axle, etc. It matters a lot for weight carrying but even more for offroad use. Traveling down the highway loaded upto GVWR would probably be fine but trying to move around off-road in the dessert or up a mountain at max capacity won't work so well. Axles, springs, driveshafts, etc break under those conditions.

A big van is easy to fill up with stuff and stuff = weight.

My E-150 GVWR = 6,200lbs and it weighs 5,000lbs so I can add 1,200lbs of stuff. A E-350 gvwr might be 9,500 and it might weigh only 750 more than my van, so it could haul maybe 3,750lbs of stuff. That's a big difference in capacity and it's usually a small difference when it comes time to purchase a van for E-150 $ vs E-350 $. Not to mention WAY more E-250 and 350 are available on the used market.

For gas engine choices, I really like the 4.9L 6-cylinder, manufactured by Ford from 1966-1996. They were installed by Ford in everything from F-100 pickups to F-600 dumptrucks and used by the military in a variety of equipment not to mention being the preferred engine for UPS box trucks for decades. They're not powerhouses but are torquey, extremely reliable, easy to work on, and cheap to maintain. If you want more power, I'd go V-10 or 5.8. The EFI 460(7.5) isn't powerful enough without modification to offset its poor mileage and the 302 (5.0) isn't up to the task IMO.

You said you have a handle on the diesels so I'm not going into that much but be advised there are 2 VERY different 7.3L engines, plus the 6.0 and a 6.9.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
There are many many variables but most 150s have the smaller engines (I6, V6, 4.6) and 5 lug axles, Either the 8.8 or even the 9.75 baby Sterling (just saw one of these for the 1st time recently)

We just had a nice 2013 E150 that had 3" wide springs and a semi float D60 in the rear, I think Ford started using that axle in everything from 08/up. Some RSC vans got the D60 FF.

So many variables..... make a guys head spin!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
For me the choice was easy... I like big motors. 3 of my E350 had 7.3 PSD and one had a V10.

But one of the many other things was being able to carry weight and no worries.

Corneilius

Adventurer
^All of these are correct, however I would say that if a clean E150 for the right price came along that meets your criteria I wouldn't be scared of it. Plenty of guys out there in F150's that work/load/abuse them. Especially if you plan on upgrading axles (60/Sterling combo) anyway. In that instance the axles/brakes/ springs and other GVWR limiters would be replaced. The brake master cylinder on the 150 is smaller and might also need upgrading.

I'm doing an e150 because its what i found, in my budget, without a billion miles on it. i also don't plan on extreme over loading, mainly just a minimal camping setup, and my dual sport. no trailers, no high roof, no water system, giant battery bank, solar, etc. just a nice weekender.

simple

Adventurer
If you are going to go light than a half ton is nice. If your going to go heavy than you need a 1 ton. If you're not sure, it's better to have the extra capacity and the worst case is if you end up buying a one ton and go light, it will ride a little rougher and burn a little more fuel.

Petrolburner

Explorer
My current Motovan has WWWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY better brakes than my 97 E150 with V6 had. Both in ability and feel. I have a 5.4 V8 and it's adequate. Plenty of one tons out there with gas motors, either the V8 or V10.

ACFaulk

SE Expedition Society
Wow. thanks for the feedback guys! That's a lot to consider. I think I need to price out some used ones now. I think if I can find a 350 that will line up with the budget that will be the way I go. As for engines in the 350...I know there is one 7.3 that is preferred over the other. Not sure I want to go the 6.0 route even though I know its problem fine as long as its given the right TLC by someone that knows what they are doing. As for gas engines I'm thinking i'll have more options when i'm shopping if I go that route but I just got to start looking more now that I have a direction on van type.

I think regardless what I want I may end up deciding based on the deal I find.

simple

Adventurer
If you don't think you need 4WD, I'd look at chevy / gmc vans. In my opinion, the motors are more reliable with better gas mileage and the seats are more comfortable.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...I know there is one 7.3 that is preferred over the other...
From 1984-1994 Ford installed diesel engines produced by International Harvester. A 6.9 liter indirect injection v8 with mechanical fuel control from 84-87 and the bored out version of that motor, a 7.3, from 87-94. They're very reliable, simple, easy to work on, cheap to maintain, and provide respectable fuel mileage. They're not powerhouses in stock NA form but their performance and reputation are the reason Dodge brought the Cummins to market in their trucks. (5 years after Ford got the IDI)

From 1994-2003 Ford installed a diesel engine built by Navistar. A 7.3L turbo-charged v8 with direct-injection and electronic fuel control. This legendary mill started the "chip" trend for diesels. They're extremely reliable, can be build for huge power, and are much simpler to work on and cheaper to maintain than more modern engines (like the 6.0) primarily because they're mostly free from emissions equipment.

One 7.3 isn't necessarily preferred over the other so much as I think the newer vans are more commonly available in good shape and with low enough miles to be a desirable project. I personally like the simplicity of the old IDI but really enjoy my PSD DRW pickup.

As you said, let the deal you find determine what you buy. Ford hasn't built any bad vans in my opinion and there are guys here who can prove anything is possible with regard to building/swapping/modding.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Yes there is a preferred 7.3 PSD, at least in my opinion. From 1999.5 to the end of 2001 because these had the forged rods vs PSM. While both can mileage without doubt, the forged rods can handle more power.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Yes there is a preferred 7.3 PSD, at least in my opinion. From 1999.5 to the end of 2001 because these had the forged rods vs PSM. While both can mileage without doubt, the forged rods can handle more power.

Think you got your dates confused. PMR were only installed 00-03 and forged rods were used 94-00 with a couple months of overlap where you might have one or the other. Exact block numbers are available or you can check yours by pulling the plug from the block above the oil filter.

Now about PMR power handling...First, reliably making enough power to threaten PMRs is gonna cost about 3 grand in mods plus the cost of a transmission build. Second, vans are not intercooled so you'd need to be running meth-injection most likely or only making that kind of power for seconds at a time. If you've reached the limits of powdered metal rods I'd like to know what cooling stack you managed to fit in a van and what EGT and ECT you achieved. Not saying it's not something to consider I suppose but few folks are going to push the power envelope in a roadtrip/expedition vehicle in first place and even fewer are going to push it all the way to 400hp at the crank, much less the wheels.

I would not let forged/powdered weigh on my mind and the point I was making about one 7.3 over the other was PSD vs IDI not PSD vs PSD PMR.

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I was sorta close... sorry!
I agree, the power 98% of us can afford to have should be fine for either rod configuration.

And i did a little research,
Start of production thru 1425746 are Forged Rods.
1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods.
1446713 thru 1498318 are Forged Rods.
1498319 thru final production run are all powdered

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94