Gobi has a new "Slantback" Rack

eternus

Observer
jeepjk45-01.jpg

I've been watching the Gobi racks, wanting to add one to my Jeep since I got it but just haven't found the funds. This evening I went to price one out and discovered they now have a Slantback Stealth (goes well with a Trektop) and have a Slantback Ranger in the works. I have to say, they look awesome... though I'm curious why its an extra $400 for the new design. )c:

Has anyone seen one in the wild yet, or ordered one? I'm curious how much smaller the footprint is and how it looks when you alternate from Hardtop to Trektop.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I look at that and see a top that reduces interior space and a rack that puts it back, but outside.

:)

eternus

Observer
Very much so. I do admit, the Trektop design is not really an overlanding top... but I do like how it makes my Jeep look. I want a rack for either hardtop or trektop and this one look a lot better than the normal box shaped rack. Sadly the Jeep is so awesomely versatile that you end up making compromises for fun things sometimes. )c:

I will say, if I never took my hard top off then I wouldn't really feel as compelled to own a Jeep.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
I have a Trektop NX that I bought right after picking up my JKU in 2014, but then realized how badly I wanted to fold the top back, so I picked up a new-to-me Mopar premium top. The Trektops are fun for what they are, but definitely made all prior outings a bit more difficult.

Now that I have a Gobi, it'll be a game time decision for which top to use. It'll look pretty sweet with no windows / a tonno cover on the back, but also love the look of the traditional top with a Gobi.

Not a big fan of this design, looks significantly shorter than a regular Gobi (to me, at least) and I would guess that it wouldn't work with a hardtop.

rubicon91

Explorer
There is a company in Australia that I follow in IG and I was wondering what rack they had on their Jeep lately and it appears that it is the Gobi you are talking about. Company is Doubleback Offroad. Here are a couple of photos on it. I think it looks nice however I have never liked the trektop design for exactly the reason others have stated. Loss of space but I guess if you are going to rock a trektop might as well have a roof rack that follows the same lines.

Attachments

• 12424584_760919564040045_424299218_n(1).jpg
    12424584_760919564040045_424299218_n(1).jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 12552486_116162295434767_1827169132_n.jpg
    12552486_116162295434767_1827169132_n.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 60

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
It looks great but pretty much defeats the purpose of cargo space. Gobi makes incredible products though

TreyJK

I wish it was $400 CHEAPER than the normal rack... Then I would actually entertain the idea of buying it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eternus

Observer
According to the folks at Gobi it is the same square footage as the 2 door JK rack, so there's a bit less space up top. There is room to fit a RTT though, if that's your liking.

The cost increase for this is because of the dual rear slanting ladder which is more one-off.

I'm not ever doing a weeklong trek in my Jeep where I'm living out of the stove/fridge in back, so the Trektop style isn't killing that much space... I've never packed it so full that things went into the top corner so I'm not really losing space when in Trektop mode.

I think this would only be a purchase if I one the lottery, but it's nice nonetheless and it's great to see Gobi expand their lineup.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Definitely looks good (imo).

For those with the top already, and just needing some extra space for extra recovery gear that gets all muddy with use (maxtrax, shovels, axes, Hi-Lift, Caterpillar excavators... ;)) this is a pretty cool deal.

Wonder how easy it is to flip back the rack to drop the top?

shawnr

Definitely looks good (imo).

For those with the top already, and just needing some extra space for extra recovery gear that gets all muddy with use (maxtrax, shovels, axes, Hi-Lift, Caterpillar excavators... ;)) this is a pretty cool deal.

Wonder how easy it is to flip back the rack to drop the top?

That's why I got a rack similar to this. Bought mine from Warrior before Gobi came out with there's. I like the fastback. If I truly need a lot more space, I'll add a trailer to get my gear to the camp site. But the rack really aids in taking recovery gear and camping gear. And, with the design of my top, I don't have to fold back the rack to take it off. Doesn't take me any longer to take the top off than it does without the rack up top. And if Gobi did have this on the market, I'm not sure the price would appeal to me. Mine was less than $1000. But Gobi is definitely top notch.
IMG_1294_zpsjzgkfr4l.jpg

IMG_1297_zps7ahov1kv.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That's why I got a rack similar to this. Bought mine from Warrior before Gobi came out with there's. I like the fastback. If I truly need a lot more space, I'll add a trailer to get my gear to the camp site. But the rack really aids in taking recovery gear and camping gear. And, with the design of my top, I don't have to fold back the rack to take it off. Doesn't take me any longer to take the top off than it does without the rack up top. And if Gobi did have this on the market, I'm not sure the price would appeal to me. Mine was less than $1000. But Gobi is definitely top notch.
IMG_1294_zpsjzgkfr4l.jpg

IMG_1297_zps7ahov1kv.jpg

That looks smokin' hot! Great choice of mods all the way around. :beer:

4x4reedom

I look at that and see a top that reduces interior space and a rack that puts it back, but outside.

:)

Exactly, why someone would eliminate the additional interior space provided by the 90 degree of a full top is beyond me. Short of the look, I suppose may be personal preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94