2 things: LR3 Traction control weirdness and aux light question

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Looking for some potential pointers on two issues.

1. Recent traction control problem (I think).
2. Aux light options

Starting with 1. Over the course of the last week, I've noticed an odd issue with the TC. It first happened mid-week last week, was pulling up near the curb at a friend's house and hit a muddy spot in the road. Just so happens that I was making a left turn, and the vehicle essentially slid and made weird noise vibration. I found this to be so weird because it was at such low speed. As in 5-10mph. Didn't think much more about it and just chalked it up to a weird instance. Over the weekend, went wheeling/camping with some buddies and as we were leaving the campsite Sunday morning, the trail out was mild, with slight wetness and muddy spots but nothing crazy. There happened to be many left turns or curves, with muddy patches in the curves. I began to notice that every time I went through one of these let curves, the vehicle behaved just like it did at my buddy's curb. slight sensation of skidding, vibration, strange noise and I was able to look and see the TC yellow light on the dash. This happened probably 5-8 times. Again, not fast speeds, 10-10mph at most. I really just thought it had something to do with the mud spots, but it became concerning when traveling home on some windy roads, if I was cornering aggressively (only with the steering wheel to the left) the TC would engage and the vibrations/noise returned. It vanishes as soon as the wheel returns to straight position. Any ideas on what may be going on here? Could my TC system be off, or does it seem that something else isnot functioning properly, therefore causing premature TC engagement?

2. Aux lights. Having 6 "slots" for lights on the front of the roof rack, would love to add 2-4. I'm a big fan of the traditional, round style lights. But would like the qualities of LED. Any info on what info I would need to try and match the aux light "color" to those of the xenon headlights? Any recs for a specific brand or model number that could meet that requiremention or am I looking at having to mod lights with custom bulbs to match?

As always, thanks for your time and insights.

Mike

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
thanks for the reply cmb. I checked out that link, seems so odd to me that even a slight error in psi could cause what I was describing. But definitely worth investigating. Thanks again!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The LR3 has multiple systems that monitor traction. The actual Traction control system is only one of them. Among the many systems, you also have an anti-roll-over system. To me it sounds a bit like this is what is triggering your issue. It is detecting lateral slip while turning. I've had this happen on paved asphalt roads with tight twisty turns. There is a simple and easy solution for this, but darned if I can remember what it is. Could be simply replacing the brake sensors ($30), sorry, I just can't remember, but perhaps if you search on the anti-roll-over or SRS system, you'll find something.

johnsoax

Adventurer
I don't believe the brake wear sensors have anything to do with anything. They are just a closed contact that opens when they detect brake wear. Unless you are talking about some other sensor..

I had a similar shimmy that has only happened once, while turning left when braking rather sharply, pulling my camper.. I have not been able to get it to repeat itself.

I did have a bearing on that side that was making quite a bit of noise, and I have replaced that, so it may be related?

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
Dynamic Stability Control on my Range Rover Sport and my LR3 will make quite a fuss if asked to make a mildly aggressive turn, especially the Range Rover. Does the problem go away if you turn the DSC off?

I recently installed four KC LZR round 4" LEDs on the LR3. I'm pleased with them.

2016-02-04 12.46.59.jpg2016-02-04 12.46.39.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
I appreciate the responses Alex and Gunn.

Ya know I didn't think to try turning the DSC off while it was giving me probs. Hasn't done it once since I've been back to city driving(of course). I'll try that next time and see what happens.

Cool, thanks for the plug on the lights your running as well a pics. What temp or color do they put out?

Hugh166

Observer
I would jack the front wheels up and check your wheel bearings. Could be that one is starting to go and when pressure is applied the correct way laterally when you turn, the abs detects different wheel speeds.

A.J.M

Explorer
Are the rear upper arms and rear hub bushes the original ones? If so what mileage is the car on?

Mine used to throw the light on when taking a left corner, turned out my upper arm bushes were shot and so were the hub bushes.

Also, when did you last get an alignment done?

ColoDisco

Explorer
These are the LED's I recently got and installed. Excuse the dirty truck.
8B1F99A9-CFDD-4081-B5FC-EBEC72994899.jpg

Link to Amazon:
Auxbeam® 7" Round Cree Led Driving Light Bumper Offroad 80w 8000lm Combo beams for Jeep ATV UTV Golf cart lighting trucks Pickup Ford f150 work light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WJPGSD2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_5ZvVwbVASG6K9

And the wiring kit I used:
OPT7® Off Road LED LIGHT Bar On-Off Power Switch 40 Amp Relay Wiring Harness (Dual Light Bar Harness) • Plug and Play • Waterproof Connectors Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QFSAPP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_b1vVwb57E9621

These are Really bright. Very happy with the result.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Are the
rear upper arms and rear hub bushes the original ones? If so what mileage is the car on?It appears the rear arms and bushes are original. Just hit 121k. Is this rare to have gone this long? Or could it be it was done and I just don't have the service records for it? I have a good amount of records from the previous owner, who's parents bought the car with around 40k on it.

Mine used to throw the light on when taking a left corner, turned out my upper arm bushes were shot and so were the hub bushes. good to know. maybe if I get the rears done, it'll fix the issue I've had.

Also, when did you last get an alignment done? I had an alignment done 6k ago, right after I put 18s and new shoes on it.

finally got around to checking the front left bearing. very little movement when trying to"wiggle" the tire vertically. Doesn't seem to be enough to warrant the problem.

Thanks Colo disco for the light info. They look good.

A.J.M

Explorer
My uppers were changed at 117k.
The hub bushes at 134k.

There is no logic for when they need done. A friends was still on the originals when he traded it in for a D4 at 133k.
He was also still on original front lowers and they had zero play or sound from them.

I fitted Range Rover sport uppers to mine. The bush is a different design and in theory will last longer.
No side effects for off roading, it's made the ride a bit firmer which I can live with.

johnnydal

I am having the same exact problem now. Happening when turning right though. Just noticed my tie rods are bad. I'll replace them and see if it solves the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online