Cruise America - F150 / Slide in Camper

smlobx

Wanderer
Cruise America used to rent truck campers back in the early 90's but stopped for some reason.
It is a shame that it's not a 4x4 but I think the amount of damage their customers would get in not make food business sense.
Also for the same price you could rent one of their smaller class c's which would have a lot more room...

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I believe the buy in for the company is less in cost for the camper and truck vs the compact RV.
The maintenance costs are likely less and the trucks generally are easier to work on.
The resale and market is likely alot better on a truck or camper over the compact RV.

I'm sure alot of the renters are still intimidated by the size of the compact RV, likely very compatible with the truck/camper combo, the combo may make some feel more confident. I ve been on the road, at gas stations and in RV parks with these retals , some of these people probably shouldn't be on the road in a Prius, let alone an RV.
The build/buy contract may be up, or close to up on the compact RV, this may just be the replacement that will slowly make its way to all rental locations.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Looking at Ford's website the E-Series cutaway is no longer available in V8, which was used on their compact series campers. Transition to the Transit based cutaways might take some time getting through the design stage with this being a stop gap?

threepedals

The big benefit of the truck camper is for family's with kids in car seats, I'm not comfortable with my one year old riding in a class C in a car seat strapped to a particle board dinette. Having a crash tested airbag equipped F-150 with latch anchors opens up the option of flying out west and renting an RV.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior