Electric Brake Controller for a new 2016 G550

Hi folks -

I am in the selection process of getting myself a 2016 G550. :wings:
I am looking at this vehicle for its off-road capabilities and want to use it as such for camping trips in Northern California.
As I am thinking to get a camping trailer with electric brakes, I am searching for an electric brake controller for the G Wagon.

Any recommendations with own experiences?
Was your silicon valley MB dealer of any help?

Thanks guys :smiley_drive:
Stefan

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
The Tekonsha P3 is probably the best available. Unfortunately, the G is not prewired for the brake controller (as some other MB models are from the factory); so you will have to get someone to wire it in for you. It's not too difficult to do, but is mostly a pita.

The dealers I've talked to about this pretty much don't have a clue; and neither, apparently, does MBUSA.

Last edited:

Angelo1

Congrats!!! Please keep us updated on how you like it over time and we like to see pics. :)

Have you looked into Adventure trailers? They are small but mighty. You can put at RTT on it and the the little trailers "best for off-road" have built in "pullout stoves" water storage tanks, fridge, etc. You won't need to install a trailer break and the tires will match whatever you are currently using. Highly recommend you ditch the horrible stock tire your new rig will come with "total garbage" and put on a size larger BFG KO2. Your rig will be much more suited for off-road and they still handle very well on-road.

Also GOBI makes the best roof top rack system I've found for the G wagen. They are made in Colorado.

Last edited:
Hi Dutch!

The G will come with a special trailer ESP and a seven wire hook up ...
And I have seen specific adaptors for each vehicle to connect the brake controller online ...

Could you elaborate on what I might miss?

Thanks,
Stefan

Hi Angelo1 -

thanks and yes, I will once I have them together ;)
I am currently looking at the Kakadu BushRanger 200 XT ... looks versatile "enough" for my short weekend trips in NorCal ;)

I was thinking of a K9 roof rack for the G. Will have to check out the GOBI's ...
I was also thinking on getting some Hutchison rims with appropriate tires ...
But let's start one step at a time :)

Cheers,
Stefan

pvb

Hi Stefan,

I have a 2014 G-550 and have installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. MB dealership was not much help. If you are in the LA area I would recommend that you contact Thór (sponsor of this forum). He helped me and I had a local shop here in the Seattle area install. They needed input from Thór on which wires to hook it into There were some issues with getting this right. I still haven't fully adjusted the trailer brakes but it seems to be working fine. The local shop also checked the outputs when they installed it.

In general I don´t tow much an my trailer is fairly light. You hardly feel it is back

I have the Frontrunner rack which I love. Powder coated the standard rims black which in my opinion looks great. I have Cooper AT3s on. This is a great all around tire.

Peter

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Hi Dutch!

The G will come with a special trailer ESP and a seven wire hook up ...
And I have seen specific adaptors for each vehicle to connect the brake controller online ...

Thanks,
Stefan

Unfortunately, you won't find an adapter for your G. Follow the advice given by pvb in his post.

Last edited:

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Hi Stefan,

I have a 2014 G-550 and have installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. MB dealership was not much help. If you are in the LA area I would recommend that you contact Thór (sponsor of this forum). He helped me and I had a local shop here in the Seattle area install. They needed input from Thór on which wires to hook it into There were some issues with getting this right. I still haven't fully adjusted the trailer brakes but it seems to be working fine. The local shop also checked the outputs when they installed it.

In general I don´t tow much an my trailer is fairly light. You hardly feel it is back

I have the Frontrunner rack which I love. Powder coated the standard rims black which in my opinion looks great. I have Cooper AT3s on. This is a great all around tire.

Peter

I've had a Frontrunner Slimline II and a Baja Rack on my Landcruiser 200 series. Loved the Frontrunner, and hated the Baja Rack. I installed the K9 on my 2015 G550, and is the best rack of the three in regards to noise and build quality. It also accepts most Frontrunner accessories.

Angelo1

I've had a Frontrunner Slimline II and a Baja Rack on my Landcruiser 200 series. Loved the Frontrunner, and hated the Baja Rack. I installed the K9 on my 2015 G550, and is the best rack of the three in regards to noise and build quality. It also accepts most Frontrunner accessories.

Does your rack have the sunroof cutout? I'm looking at the GOBI rack as it has the connected ladder and cutout sunroof.

Hi guys -

thanks for the additional info!
Today, I pulled the trigger ordering the BushRanger 200XT offroad camper trailer from Kakadu Camping! Now we have to wait till April until I can pick it up :wings:

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94