Engine swap and sloped driveway?

rayra

Expedition Leader
btw, it's only a few bolts to remove the radiator core support and have a straight shot in. Worth removing the trim etc to do it, IMAO.

lysol

Explorer
Can you role it backwards until the rear tires are in the notch at the edge of the driveway and the road? Or even better yet, spin it around so the front tires are resting in the notch between the edge of the driveway and the road. that way, the engine lift is on the flatter road.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
couple sheets of one inch plywood blocked up appropriately . block the wheels of the truck pull the motor and then roll the mess backward on the plywood . ive used a winch to pull the cherry picker back up a incline

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
The original post was a few weeks ago and maybe you've already started. If so, maybe this'll help someone else but if not, it'll help you out too.

If you have another vehicle with a 2 inch hitch, just weld a hitch tube (the male part that fits into the receiver) to the bottom of your engine hoist. Then stick it into the hitch and you'll be able to move the engine around with no issues since the vehicle will be doing all the work and doesn't care about the incline, gravel driveway, uneven surface, etc. Plus, the added height will also mean that you should be able to get the engine all the way out of the bay.

Last edited:

NnyDave

Pull the front wheels & put it on stands, then pull the hood. Pulling the front clip in one piece (fenders, rad support, rad) all in one piece takes a bit of time, but it makes yanking & reinstalling a motor 10x easier.

mezmochill

Is outside
man... y'all over thinkin' it, big time...

hell, I grew up where there was zero flat land- we threw horseshoes over a hill and couldn't even see the other pin...

anyway....

point your rig downhill... hoist your engine on the boom (assuming castered boom) and brace it with another vehicle... align and allow the truck to roll under the engine slowly with yern foot firmly on yern brake... upon positioning it properly, chock the freakin' wheels with something substantial that ain't gonna kick out or spit.

this actually creates the angle you need to plant that thing with greater ease...

are you stabbing the transmission at the same time? I'd not recommend that... I'd stab it to the engine instead, after you're cradled nicely.

I never had the luxury of a proper boom... I had a 6x6 build up of 2x4's built like a gallows with a block lashed to the crossing beam, and a iron mule to crank it up with... gotta love it, huh?

I mention that gallows because the bottom can be built to the required angle, and is hella more stable than a boom, though it obviously lacks mobility..

even if you don't move the vehicle to the boom, or change direction of vehicle to slope- use another vehicle to brace against, with a nice pad in between such as a blanket and a 2x8.

This is using gravity as your friend. Good stuff.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior