Questions for you video pros

Currently I have a GoPro Hero 2 (Plan to get a couple more new ones) and I also have a Canon Vixia HF G20. First let me explain the type of video I will be taking. My wife and I are going to start working towards writing trip reports with photos and video. Now these trips will be hiking, backpacking, biking, rock climbing, canoeing, offroading, rifle shooting you name it outdoors that's our goal. Now I am not a pro at all but I want good video and audio. I know you can run external mics on GoPros, should I get some? Also with my G20 I can get a shotgun mic and a 5.1 mic, which would be better for this type of video? Any help and suggestions would be great as I am just a beginner.

Thanks,
Craig

franklantern

Craig Lathem
I am not a pro but I have probably spent enough to qualify as an amateur. You mention good video and audio. Of course content is the most important element but video/audio quality can be an expensive proposition. Often its a case of good enough.

Rode mics are quite popular and cost effective. But it may be that you can add most of your audio content in post, ie voice over and sound track material. You would have a lot more control over the quality and allow for retakes since you are overdubbing. Editing is the most time intensive part of the process. Have you decided on what editing software you will be using?

wildorange

Observer
I'd highly recommend investing in an external mic for your GoPro, you should see a marked improvement compared to being without.

I've a canon rebel+Gp 4 setup along with an cheap android tablet as a monitor which works well enough.

I would have used DSLR app however that's depending on your tablet for its compatibility.

Sent from my MoJ mobile tagging device

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I agree with the probability that you'll add audio in post. A good condenser mic will give you good sound. I am a fan of the cheap but reliable mic's from Blue, such as the Blue Nesse

As for software I have Adobe Premier Elements 11 and Power Director 11. Mic wise I am really wanting to be able to really collect the sounds of nature and running water while i'm out. Otherwise I will most likely add voice over or a sound track to it. I am willing to get a full version of Premier if needed.

franklantern

Craig Lathem
Here is something else to consider...There are recorders specifically designed for recording remote audio. http://www.sweetwater.com/c1006--Portable_Recorders. You could record any ambient sound then add the wav file to your project. I would guess that ambient audio content doesnt often need to be sync'd to the video content so there is no reason why they need to be recorded at the same time. I am not familiar with the audio quality of the Go Pro. It may be that with a decent mic you could approximate the quality of one of these field recorders. I have been using a GH4 for vid and have been happy with the audio quality. If you can pan/zoom stills and have separate tracks for audio content Premier Elements would work. I havent used it. If you record rain and have it not sound like bacon frying please be sure to share your secret :)

kevin604

Observer
Currently I have a GoPro Hero 2 (Plan to get a couple more new ones) and I also have a Canon Vixia HF G20. First let me explain the type of video I will be taking. My wife and I are going to start working towards writing trip reports with photos and video. Now these trips will be hiking, backpacking, biking, rock climbing, canoeing, offroading, rifle shooting you name it outdoors that's our goal. Now I am not a pro at all but I want good video and audio. I know you can run external mics on GoPros, should I get some? Also with my G20 I can get a shotgun mic and a 5.1 mic, which would be better for this type of video? Any help and suggestions would be great as I am just a beginner.

Thanks,
Craig

Hey Craig. I have a wireless remote lav that I use when I have power avail. Lately I've seen a bunch of people using the rode software for the iPhone and syncing it in post. There are a bunch of videos on it.

I was doing a talk and the organizer had a dual video setup as it was streaming to the Internet. I brought my hero session in to record myself as I didn't want to wait for a copy.

I was surprised that my session had the best perspective and learnt a lot about studying myself.

Check out comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com. The multi go pro setup is amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

texascrane

Adventurer
As for software I have Adobe Premier Elements 11 and Power Director 11. Mic wise I am really wanting to be able to really collect the sounds of nature and running water while i'm out. Otherwise I will most likely add voice over or a sound track to it. I am willing to get a full version of Premier if needed.

FWIW, I think DaVinci Resolve 12 is a killer option now that they've got a good non-linear editor, especially considering it's free.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier