Need advice on Xterra purchase for friend

earljuic3

Adventurer
A guy I work with is very interested to buy this local Xterra. Being a Mitsu guy I don't know enough about these to really give him a valuable opinion. I did tell him I thought the price was a bit high for the mileage. Would some of you more knowledgeable Nissan heads take a look at this CL ad and give me your thoughts? Things I can tell him to look for and a good price for the truck would be much appreciated as well!

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5432173283.html

outback97

Adventurer
I don't know much about 1st Gen Xterras, but that strikes me as a lot of $ for a 16 year old 2WD one.

I think this is the place for 1st Gen info:
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/

ETA: Sounds like XterraNation.org is more active, and I should probably not comment on 1st gen pricing since I don't know!

Last edited:

tarditi

Explorer
The 1st gen Xterras are solid trucks, as long as you stay on top of the maintenance. The timing chain is the biggest problem for this era Xterra.
One thing is that the engines in the 1st get is a bit low on the power. They are slow. You will get passed by a Toyota Prius.

Not bad miles for this vintage, really - price is OK, but all the add-ons increase the value $0 - blue book for the area is probably best bet.

Frankly, these sell all day long - they're a quite desirable platform for younger 4-wheelers, but Xterras, overall, are a decent overlanding platform.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
That's not a bad price considering what it is!

I bought mine in 2012 with 85K miles for $8K.

Items to look for:

Timing belt (every 100K miles).
Water pump / thermostat.

Post says they're already done, so that's good news.

ClubXterra is pretty much historic / archive.

XterraNation.org is extremely active, and very welcoming.

outback97

Adventurer
That's not a bad price considering what it is!

I bought mine in 2012 with 85K miles for $8K.

Items to look for:

Timing belt (every 100K miles).
Water pump / thermostat.

Post says they're already done, so that's good news.

ClubXterra is pretty much historic / archive.

XterraNation.org is extremely active, and very welcoming.

Thanks for clarifying, I will edit my post!

jonny.jpg

Adventurer
9a8dfaba64f2bac702ef14633257f2be.jpg

They're great vehicles. I've had mine since 08, and it has been faithful to me. Just keep up with daily maintenance, and you'll be fine. Of course, as long as your buddy isn't hardcore off roading and whatnot. :)

Sounds like a good deal, however see if he could talk down the price to at least 4500. 5500 for a 16 year old vehicle seems kind of high IMO.

"Adventure is out there."
-Russell, Pixar's Up

SRStaff

Observer
Got my unmolested 2000 Xterra SE 4WD for $5000 four years ago with less than 90k miles. So yes it is quite high for a 2wd. The 2000-01 4wd can be had for $3500 if you shop around with the same milage as the one posted. Can pick up an 04 for $5000 nowadays. Add ons do not increase value of a vehicle. Those wheels with that offset are prematurely killing the wheel bearings. You either break even or lose value due to some add ons. What to look for are complete timing belt change, leaking valve cover gaskets, cracked manifolds, and occasionally it running bad from the distributor starting to fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94