FS: 1985 Mercedes 300GD Turbo Diesel LWB White

dougemmett

****SOLD********

1985 Mercedes G Wagen 300GD LWB Automatic
Perfect functioning condition! Ready to rage.
Asking $29,900

ALL 135 Pictures and 3 videos available - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwpJiDjAUTf7dEpULXdza1czbVU

This truck has seen quite a bit of action but has always been meticulously cared for. As of recent, it has been living in Los Angeles with a current CA registration, expiring July 2016. I am using it as a daily driver and love it, but recent purchases (and some near-future expenses... cough....wedding... cough cough) are forcing me to sell. This beauty came over in 1985 and spent most of it's life in Washington and Oregon. It was properly imported (not grey market) and purchased from Mercedes with all the available bells and whistles of its day. I have a 3" binder full of state and federal import papers, original owners papers, etc.

I purchased in July 2015 and haven't used it too much (I'm driving an Audi A3 most days). I bought this rig from a Mercedes G wagon enthusiast/adventurer and given the scope of his knowledge and expertise (and the sheer size of his garage, tool collection, veggie-oil refinery, etc) I know that this truck came from a good home. It was given a thorough maintenance examination from a qualified Mercedes mech just before I bought it. The truck is in absolutely amazing shape. Everything was gone through with a fine-tooth comb and necessary repairs were made. Mostly belts were replaced and fluids all topped off. As of today, all fuel and oil filters are new, radiator fluid changed and oil changed this week. Tires are at 70%.

I was made a promise back in July that I could fly to Oregon and pick it up and drive home to LA with no problems. And I make the same promise to you today. I drove it 2000 miles - through the mountains and deserts of Utah (Park City - elevation 7000', Moab temps as high as 120 Fahrenheit when I was there). To say I pushed this rig to its limits would be false- this thing was ready to go further and harder.

Use the spare 25G aluminum diesel tank in the rear of the truck if you want to drive 900 miles without stopping. It is possible to use alternative fuels in this tank: Biodiesel, WVO, SVO
Tank was professionally installed with a heater to handle WVO. Flip from primary to secondary tanks on the go- toggle switch installed up front. Alternate between two fuels with no issue. Tank is removable for extra storage in the rear cargo area if you're inclined. Comes with a black wooden shelf to place over tanks- it sits on the jump seats. I'm using this shelf as a "false floor". I find it has plenty of cargo area.

I have had zero issues with this truck. It fires up immediately, no smoke, no odd sounds, strong and constant power from the turbo. Highway driving easily cruises at 65mph with no vibrations and feels very solid. Acceleration won't win you any races but the upgrade to the turbo really helps move this thing- merging in fast highway traffic hasn't ever been a problem (plus people are quick to get out of your way!)
I drive it 60-70mph on the highway and its super smooth- easily using a few fingers on the wheel to keep her going straight. New driveshafts- all 3. One of the biggest problems with older G's is the vibration from worn driveshafts. These are new and custom made for the G. Expect a very smooth, confident ride. Axes have recently been serviced.

Custom installed Turbo Diesel 617A performed by Mike Serpe and Chris Benjamin in 2010. Custom 2.5" exhaust. Engine & body has 209,8xx miles on it.

Automatic Transmission is in tip-top shape. Super smooth shifting. This is the original bullet proof transmission. I still can't believe this truck is 30 years old. It drives like it just rolled out of the factory.

Brakes are good. Still a lot of life left in them. Doesn't stop on a dime but never felt unsafe either. Very slight brake noise. You'll hear a little squeal if your window is down and your moving slow enough and keeping the brakes on at 60-70%.

Steering is pulling slightly right- but I notice only on a heavily graded road. Truck drives straight enough.
Steering column is tight with only a little play.

Interior is VERY clean. Some ares of the truck were recently reupholstered. There is spare fabric included (probably enough to reupholster the 2nd row rear seat). Leather on doors/pillars are all tucked in and quite flawless. Truck has an altimeter, 2nd Tank gauge, and 2nd tank temp gauge installed above console.
Seats are clean- no tears or stains.
No cracks in the dashboard. It is very very clean. No fading. Everything works as it should.

Electronics (of which there is very little of) are in working order. All lights and switches work EXCEPT for the rear window washer. The wiper works, but it has stopped spraying washer fluid back there.

Notes:
Factory Original Safari roof (keeps it cool in the summer). This was a feature offered in 1984/85 as an extra add on. It creates a space between the truck's roof and the safari roof (which looks identical, expect it is a metal sheet raised above the roof) I'm explaining only because I had no idea what this was when I bought the truck.
33" tires on original 15" rims (full size 33" matching spare on matching rim)
Recaro seats up front - vey comfortable on long drives. Better than my Audi on the long trips!
Rear cargo area folding jump seats w/ working seat belts
Roof rack (not pictured. basic locking roof rack. included installed or not, your choice).
New windshield- very clean. no cracks, chips etc
Map reading light. extra feature on passenger side.
Excellent wheels and tires. Matte black original mercedes rims
Very tight suspension, steering, and shifting
New matte black ladder in rear
Odometer is reading 9,8xx miles. It is actually 209,8xx. True for both the engine and body
No rust on under carriage. Oxidation visible on muffler assembly. Mercedes anti-corrosion coating is still very intact and obviously doing the trick.
Radio/CD player work. two front speakers work. This isn't some fancy Bose system, but it does the trick.

The not so pretty:
NO A/C. Compressor was removed to make room for the turbo when the engine was swapped.
This truck has been USED - which I think is good. It's proven itself over and over and has the patina to prove it. This is not some Beverly Hills chromed-out Bluetoothed baby.
Crack in front driver's side headlight. Still very useable.
Paint is chipped on front of bonnet. Otherwise in wonderful clean shape. See photos
Paint is chipped on the safari top Not excessively but there are quite a few of them. Removing the safari top would reveal a perfect roof.
Front brush guard has some chips.
front bumper isn't the freshest BUT it doesn't look as bad as it does in the photos.
Rear bumper has fading
Front drivers side foot well has minor surface rust. Doesn't look like an issue and there isn't any flaking. This happens when water from the inside finds its way between the rubber mat and the metal.
Exterior Paint is looking a little rough under the drivers handle on the exterior door. It hasn't bothered me but if you're a perfectionist, there are matching paint codes for this truck and can be repaired anywhere.
Paint has worn on the front passenger door hinge
Chipped paint in multiple areas on the front driver's side interior door next to the window frame. Think: where your elbow rests on the window frame.

Also, I am using stated-value insurance. I suggest you do the same with a truck of this heritage and value.

Please reach me at dougemmett at gmail . com if you are serious about purchasing this vehicle. I will make myself available to test drive.

Please ask any questions regarding this truck on this forum.

THANKS,
Doug

MORE PHOTOS AVAIL - Just email me. Sorry- I am having trouble with the upload / attachment here.

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 7.04.27 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-02-02 at 5.48.30 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-02-02 at 7.05.16 PM.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior