LR3 brake kit recombination?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
As it sounds can anyone recommend a good brake kit or at least a good price point to find on one for and LR3?

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Atlantic British stocks full kits, and pad kits for front/rear. I have used the Textars, both front and rear. They are not as good as the OEM ferodos (what I have heard/price-wise) but I will say they're super for being a cheaper alternative. Do you need rotors as well? They do make a butt-load of dust though.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SFP500010A

dsm02c

Adventurer
I know I'll get flamed for this but I used the "Primo" (if you can call it that) Autozone stuff on my LR4, stops same as it did from new... Pads dust like CRAZY though, I'll never use those again...

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
The front pads on the truck now dust like crazy too. I would like to get something that dose not

Ian_Barry

Observer
The Kit you want

As it sounds can anyone recommend a good brake kit or at least a good price point to find on one for and LR3?

Howdy,

I would highly recommend EBC Greenstuff pads for your brake pad swap. Below are links to the parts you'd need from Amazon (feel free to hunt around for a better deal). Much less dust, great stopping power, includes copper grease (although that's not unique), no need to shim (set up properly for application), looks the business for the few moments that you might actually see them; all around a good product.

Front

Rear

When it comes to rotors, there's no reason to seek out slotted/drilled/any other fancy rotors. A good set of Brembo rotors will get you right.

Cheers,

Ian

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Ian if I go this route should a replace the lr3 brake pad wear sensor too?

When you pull the brakes apart inspect the sensor to see if it has worn through to the metal contacts. If the sensor hasn't been abraded yet you can leave it. Have one ordered though just in case, and you can always replace it later the next time round.

Totally forgot about that EBC green stuff. Have heard great things.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I also highly recommend EBC rotors and brake pads, however I did NOT like the Green Stuff brake pads as they wore out very quickly and will never use that color again. Went with Yellow Stuff brake pads and won't go back. Yellow lasts longer and I've seen NO difference in braking abilities. I use my LR3 in the city, highway, and I off-road hard in rocks, mud, and mountains.

johnsoax

Adventurer
2 years and 3 months and 34,339 miles ago, I replaced my rear brakes on my LR3 with Raybestos 980345 rotors and Wagner QC1099 brake pads.

Then, 2 years and 1 month and 33,540 miles ago, I replaced the front brakes with Raybestos 980351 rotors and Wagner QC1098 pads.

All are still working fantastic, and look like they have at least another 25k miles on them. I also defeated the brake ware sensors by cutting off the heads and shorting the wires together. When it went off on my front brakes, it would constantly turn on and off multiple times a day while I was waiting for the parts to get shipped in.

All in was $270 shipped from Amazon.

Ian_Barry

Observer
Ian if I go this route should a replace the lr3 brake pad wear sensor too?

If they have not been "tripped" (they are one time use) then I'd go ahead and leave them in place. With that said, you'r liable to break them while doing the swap. I'm an advocate of taking and honest self assessment and deciding if you can remember to change you brake pads of if you need the truck to tell you when it should be done. If you fall in the former, then just strip back some wire and close the loop, that's all the sensor is (open vs. close circuit).

Amazon has good prices, but you may be able to find better pricing with more hunting.

Now I'm interested to try the yellow pads, I didn't know they made them in a size that would fit the LR3 out of the box.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian_Barry

Observer
So I looked quickly on EBC's site and if I understand correctly the green stuff pads will have less dust than the yellow stuff pads.

Still might try them as they should last a little longer. I have not been unhappy with the longevity or performance of my green stuff pads (for the record).

Derel1cte

Adventurer
2 years and 3 months and 34,339 miles ago, I replaced my rear brakes on my LR3 with Raybestos 980345 rotors and Wagner QC1099 brake pads.
Then, 2 years and 1 month and 33,540 miles ago, I replaced the front brakes with Raybestos 980351 rotors and Wagner QC1098 pads.

I went with the Wagner Ceramic pads as well. The work great and there is pretty much no brake dust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior