Looking for progressive rate springs for a JKU

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Looking for progressive rate springs for a JKU. No taller then 2.5 . I would love to go with the AEV 2.5 inch suspension but it is about two to three hundred out of budget.

fearfact

I have been running synergy 2 inch front,1 inch rear and rs9000s, for 10-15000 miles and have been extremely happy....

SketchyWaffles

Great first post, read for yourself

Could you let me know which link I should actually be reading from those results? I read all the links on the first page and not one describes OME Springs for the JK / JKU as progressive. The Rocky-Road page describes OME shocks as "Progressive and responsive" while the other pages either describe progressive spring options or OME Progressive Springs for a Mercedes G-Wagen. I'm always open to being wrong as I know I don't know everything, but when being told I'm wrong I appreciate seeing the evidence.

Two Jeeps

On page 2 of the ARB/OME Product Specification sheet for the JK 4" springs they say that they are Linear
http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/pdf/newproductadvice/ome_omejk4_retail.pdf

The PDF file size was too large for me to attach.

For those who don't want to follow the link From page 2

SPRINGS:
4 inch lift was achieved by linear rate springs using X5K
high grade steel tuned to provide compliant ride on road
while maintaining off road performance. Trim packers
have been included to assist in fine tuning ride height that
may be caused by various accessory fitments.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I can't speak to which manufacturers offer progressive springs, but for JK springs, you can easily tell by looking... If the coil spacing changes over the length of the spring, then it's progressive. It can also be done by varying wire diameter, but that is never done in the aftermarket, and rare even for OE springs.

I'm not sure your motivation, but I will also warn you that in my experience, a vehicle at normal ride height is usually already into the stiffer part of the progression, or at least right at the transition, making it somewhat pointless for ride quality. IME, If you're looking for progressive springs to achieve some sort of ride improvement, you may be disappointed.

I used to love OME, but I've recently become disillusioned with them. I've found that OME generally shoots the middle of the factory spring rate choices, and just winds the coils a bit taller. They do not increase the spring rate, which means ride frequency stays lower than it was intended to be, particularly after adding accessories. This leads to bottoming out, and "pogo" action if the going gets fast, just like with the OE springs.

AEV does a great job making sure the spring rate is actually tuned to vehicle weight. This is a BIG issue for JK, as the stock spring rates are quite soft for the weight of even a base vehicle. (Ride frequency is very low on a stock JK, add some weight and it will feel like a '70's Cadillac unless you put some horribly stiff shocks on it. AEV fixed the ride frequency problem by increasing the spring rate to achieve the proper ride frequency for a Jeep rather than a Cadillac. BUT they also use specific shock valving to go along with their springs to achieve a great ride and performance. Running shocks valved to compensate for the low OE spring rates with the stiffer AEV springs may result in a somewhat stiff ride...

Just trying to give you some useful information to help with your choice!
Chris

forsakenfuture

Explorer
The reason I am looking for a progressive rate spring is because I have a winch and bumper on the front of my Jeep and plan to add a tire/fuel carrier . The springs in the front are significantly compressed. Currently have the AEV spacer lift(I know a spacer do nothing for spring rate) with factory springs.

Two Jeeps

Forsakenfuture: Two of the companys that I know of that make progressive front springs are Synergy http://www.synergymfg.com/home.php?cat=4055&sort=price&sort_direction=1&show=all and Rock Krawler http://www.rockkrawler.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1985.
I have Syenergy 1" lift springs on my JKUR that has an LOD mid-width front bumper and a UMV J30 top with a LOD full width rear bumper. It lifted the front about 1.5" and the "soft" part of the spring is almost compressed. In the rear it recovered the 2" I lost and plus abou .75". They are a great improvement over the stock springs

I am sure there are other maufactures that I don't know of out there that make progressive front springs.

Hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz