They said don't do it.....

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
but I did it anyways. I was told, don't drive your 100 on a 2,000 mile road trip with that 125k 16yr old timing belt. Well, I did and it was fine. First 600 miles through a blizzard at night, then I got about 100 miles of good roads before the next 300 miles in a gnarly wind/dust storm. Then I wheeled the 100 hard in Johnson Valley, slept in the back for a week and drove it the 1,000 miles home. Not a single issues. Oh wait, I farted a tire off the bead, it happens when you run under 10psi and drive in the sand dunes like I do. Easy fix.

Just like when I drove my super charged Tacoma to Panama and back, they said don't do it! Well, I did and I am here to say the haters were wrong. Thank you Toyota for proving them wrong.

Hell of a fun time at King of the Hammers, even though we got 3-days of a super nasty wind/sand storm at the start of it. We held out in the storm and the weather improved, by Wednesday it was gorgeous and stayed that way.

12671934_10201392495572285_5189753785176992287_o.jpg

12694674_10201392506892568_4669641217203339434_o.jpg

I think my favorite part of KoH is the late night parties on the trails. They are friggin' awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZfaZViGBQI

At some point I really need to take my beast of a Nissan Patrol down there for some fun.....

242637_1376159861975_643913_o.jpg

Cheers

Presto88

Adventurer
Glad you went and glad you had a great time!

I think that sometimes some of us get a little too hung up on the "but what if _____ happens?". I don't see it as much in these forums as I do in the rest of my life, but sometimes you just gotta say "Screw it" and go!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Glad you went and glad you had a great time!

I think that sometimes some of us get a little too hung up on the "but what if _____ happens?". I don't see it as much in these forums as I do in the rest of my life, but sometimes you just gotta say "Screw it" and go!

That is how most adventures are born, not many happen from "what if's". That said, the 100 is a great platform for road trips, light off-roading and camping. With a rear (and front) locker they can easily do some mild off-roading. Like I said, it was the first time wheeling my 100 and while not overly impressed I was surprised how well it did. Several times early on I said, we are not making it up this and we did. It will rip up the dunes as good as any truck I have owned, the rest well it is limited but does well for what it is.

Cheers

Happykamper

Explorer
Just an opinion. I do preventive maintenance on my rigs. When the book says do at 100k I do at 90. And so on. I don't understand any thrill in seeing if you can squeeze a bit extra out at yours your families and you rigs parel !
But that's me, the fun is the adventure, not stuck fixing your rig out in the middle of nowhere.
But that's just me .

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Just an opinion. I do preventive maintenance on my rigs. When the book says do at 100k I do at 90. And so on. I don't understand any thrill in seeing if you can squeeze a bit extra out at yours your families and you rigs parel !
But that's me, the fun is the adventure, not stuck fixing your rig out in the middle of nowhere.
But that's just me .

If you've read RMP&Os other threads (there are a few), then you'd know he usually travels solo, or with other like minded companions. There isn't a baby in a bassinet and a flock of women and children along for the ride. They may have to circle the wagons now and then for a trail/beachside repair, but that's part of the fun. He wheels his rigs harder than 90% on here, and occasionally takes his lumps for it. That's why he bought the 100 in the first place. This thread is part road trip report and part "I told you it'd be fine". At least that's the way I read it.

It's nice that you do your major services 10,000 miles early. Maybe you pay extra taxes early too "just to be sure". Thank you for that:D. Some people push it, others are pushed by it. But again, that's just one mans view of things...

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
^haha yup that's it. On my trips to Panama I did all kinds of preventative maintenance, like lots. I got nothing wrong with it, as I just said done it myself. But I drive Toyota's (and the occasional Nissan) and I don't believe hype. These are excellent trucks and I think I am proving it. :)

Cheers

This is the second year in a row that I have missed the race. I was excited to be able to bring my Hilux, but A - it isn't done and B - too much customer work to be able to leave the shop.

Sounds like you had a good time and I'm glad you didn't have an engine failure. Now that you've jinxed yourself it's probably time to replace that belt.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
What it didn't fail ;)

Was looking for you at KOH. We had a great time, I rallied my 100 pretty good between Pit 2A and 2B about a thousand times (it felt like) during the main race on Friday. We bailed Saturday morning and burned over to Parker AZ to watch the Parker 425 desert race. Good times... we'll have to catch up one of these times!

Happykamper

Explorer
Redthies I am sure you are all very macho. But being prepared and just asking for problems are two different things! It's good he goes full speed, not a bad thing. While climbing I like to find the toughest way to the top. But I want to make sure my gear is in tip top shape. If something happens to me , which it has. I don't want it to be because I was negligent and didn't treat my gear correctly.
To each there own your right. But there is in my opinion a difference in pushing the limited of your capibilities , and going out with known potential problems.
I like solo best on trips. That way I'm not stuck with someone that didn't in my opinion have the common sense to prepare in advance.

Happykamper

Explorer
Oh and by the way, yes my taxes are done for this year already. I have a hefty sum coming back, because I pay more during year as I have more than enough left over. It's my " retirement bonus so I can take the return money and buy something cool.
I take it you like to wait till last second lol. Truly a rebel redneck you are lol.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Redthies I am sure you are all very macho. But being prepared and just asking for problems are two different things! It's good he goes full speed, not a bad thing. While climbing I like to find the toughest way to the top. But I want to make sure my gear is in tip top shape. If something happens to me , which it has. I don't want it to be because I was negligent and didn't treat my gear correctly.

Well, since you know absolutely ZERO about me, I'll leave your "macho" comment alone. Since you brought it up, I've done plenty of climbing too, including putting up new multi-pitch 5.12 granite routes, mixed ice routes etc etc. I climb 90% of the time with UIAGM mountain guides, and a couple of guides examiners. I've also done climbing stunt work in Alaska and the Yukon and had the misfortune of watching four people die in a helicopter crash while filming me ice climb 65 miles from nowhere near Haines. All the preparation in the world doesn't mean squat if things don't go your way.

Maybe now you'll understand why I don't get bent out of shape over a minor mechanical setback. I wouldn't drive across the outback in a vehicle with a known problem, but driving through middle America overdue for a service isn't exactly "dangerous".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94