G Wagen rust?

Angelo1

Has anyone in the rust belt or areas where salt 'M.C' (should be banned) is used for snow melt notice rust on their vehicles? If so, how have you treated it? I know you can have a paint shop use a organic linseed oil solution that supposed to work really well but has to be reapplied every 2-3yrs. I'm more concerned with 14' and newer model G's but I have a strong feeling they haven't changed anything on how the undercarriage is treated over the last 20yrs but I could be wrong.

ILIAN

Adventurer
I don't know what kind of salt they use on the roads here but any salt is going to result in corrosion problems eventually with any vehicle. The G's have good corrosion protection, that said the frame is more likely to rust than the body. I have sprayed the undercarriage with CRC heavy duty corrosion inhibitor that's made for boats and it's holding up great after almost a year even with the car getting road salt all over and being pressure washed. This stuff is very sticky even when dry and seems to stick to surface rust very well also. I've used almost 12 cans of it on the car and plan to use more as needed. It's also important to lubricate door hinges and latches so they don't rust and wear out and end up chipping the paint, I've seen this on a few other G's.

Scott Brady

Founder
I had some rust develop on the bottom of the B pillar. Fortunately, Mercedes is aware of the issue and sell a precut panel to replace the affected area. Have not found any other problem spots.

NYCRover

Observer
I mean how long do you plan on keeping the G? If less than 10 years, then I wouldn't even bother with any of that.

ILIAN

Adventurer
I plan on keeping mine until it becomes Antique :sombrero:. I was not aware there was a common problem with the B pillar rusting but that's not why MB sells that specific body panel. They actually would be happy to sell you any body or frame panel or section you need for an arm and a leg. The more common areas are the windshield frame (all of them will have this eventually), the front of the car which gets stone chips from the road, the rear door, the rear corners in and around the taillights(important to have mud flaps to prevent this), around the door handles due to grime getting trapped behind the bigger seal eating the paint.

Angelo1

It's the undercarriage I want to prevent rusting, thanks to all the salt used on the roads in Colorado.

NYCRover

Observer
A lot of my friends have used fluid film spray for undercarriage protection that seems to work really well (http://www.kellsportproducts.com/)

I live in the northeast and seeing as the previous owner didn't keep up with any rust prevention on my G, that ship has sailed, hence my words of indifference. My G has been a northeast truck its entire life and the frame is actually in decent condition without any sort of preventive coating done by me. It's the ancillary parts as well as the body areas Ilian pointed out that that look the worst.

ILIAN

Adventurer
I think the B pillar rust may be due to missing front mud flaps. Also if you get bigger tires the original mud flaps are not going to be ideal, need to get longer and wider ones. I'm not aware of bigger OEM mud flaps so they will probably have to be custom made.

PH4

Observer
I just did the A pillar and B pillar on the passenger side and addressed same issues on the driver side but did not need replacement panels. Mine came from Chicago so I believe that was the source of the problems.
9854224eee6ef368553e6b1ba8b5bdcf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02371ee376a18d9f79ef51243b6600a9.jpg
0d74b9832717750e831d76c100a7c4da.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier