Do you feel the need to be upset when you encounter an armed camper in the woods?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Guns and Opinions. These two go together like... well actually they don't...

I'll bite though. Just because someone I see has a weapon doesn't show me they are smart, intelligent, and have the experience to handle it. So a partial yes in that I get on edge because I now have to be more alert and can't relax.

Don't worry, they probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn anyways.

brentbba

Explorer
On a similar note, I don't go into the woods around my neighborhood during deer season. Too many wacko city guys shooting at any thing they think is a deer. Campers generally don't go around shooting at stuff.

I hear you on this one. Buddy and I like to go up to Monache Meadows in the early fall. We always go the weekend between the end of bow hunting and the beginning of rifle hunting. There's one weekend with nobody hunting. Not a chance in He double LL we want to be anywhere near those meadows with a crowded bunch of folks ready to shoot at anything that moves. Our safety. I'm sure 'most' are very responsible hunters. I'm not concerned about them...it only takes one drunk fool or someone like Christophe points out to end a life or put a real dampener on a nice relaxing weekend.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
And I'll say this again, because I think it is constructive. A few years ago I was getting prepared to go camping with several other people. One of them casually asked me if I'd mind if he brought his pistol along. Just the fact he had the consideration to ask was refreshing. I said I didn't mind, and we all sat around the fire perfectly at ease with the situation. That kind of consideration is lacking from our society.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
And I'll say this again, because I think it is constructive. A few years ago I was getting prepared to go camping with several other people. One of them casually asked me if I'd mind if he brought his pistol along. Just the fact he had the consideration to ask was refreshing. I said I didn't mind, and we all sat around the fire perfectly at ease with the situation. That kind of consideration is lacking from our society.

Doesn't that work both ways? If you had asked him to not bring it along that could be inconsiderate IMO. I guess I would never ask, but then again I wouldn't be whipping it out and fiddling with it either.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Doesn't that work both ways? If you had asked him to not bring it along that could be inconsiderate IMO. I guess I would never ask, but then again I wouldn't be whipping it out and fiddling with it either.
I think it's largely a matter of simply being aware and thoughtful of others. I would never ask someone to leave their gun behind. If it bothered me, and sometimes it does, I'd just not go camping with them. In the example I sited, had I asked that guy not to bring his gun along, I bet he would have left it behind, but that would have been an imposition on my part.

Some of my apprehension stems from an incident a few years ago when a group of us were sitting around a fire chatting. We heard large crashing noise in the trees. A dog emerged from the shadows and lumbered up to the fire. When I looked across the fire, one of the nit-wits camping with us had his pistol in hand. IT WAS HIS DOG! Sheesh.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

I think it's largely a matter of simply being aware and thoughtful of others. I would never ask someone to leave their gun behind. If it bothered me, and sometimes it does, I'd just not go camping with them. In the example I sited, had I asked that guy not to bring his gun along, I bet he would have left it behind, but that would have been an imposition on my part.

Some of my apprehension stems from an incident a few years ago when a group of us were sitting around a fire chatting. We heard large crashing noise in the trees. A dog emerged from the shadows and lumbered up to the fire. When I looked across the fire, one of the nit-wits camping with us had his pistol in hand. IT WAS HIS DOG! Sheesh.

I personally wouldn't ever consider going camping with anyone who I haven't seen properly handle and shoot a firearm and know they are confident in doing so, this negates any need to ask and I have no need to worry. At least that is my common sense approach and it hasn't let me down thus far.

KMG

Adventurer
IMHO, The uneasiness of being around firearms has increased partly due to when one mis-handles a firearm and show little respect for themselves and other it is reported in many threads. When one shows proper respect for the weapon and others and carries the gun with them without any issues, then there isn't anything to report. Many people have and are camping with armed campers and just don't know it. Thanks, Kevin

tgreening

Expedition Leader

An opposing view: I don't know where you camped and I don't know the "nitwit" in question but.....A) around here there are other things in the woods with teeth and claws besides the camp Pooch, and B) it was in his hand, which in and of itself means only that he was prepared for a potential (in his mind) threat. If it was in his hand and blasting away at something yet unseen or unrecognized, that would make him a nitwit +.

Personally, I see little point to this thread other than to generate conflict. Me, or the OP, having the knowledge of how others feel on this subject matters not one bit. It's about like asking how others feel about sharing a campfire with a Catholic or Protestant. Inflammatory and useless.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I am not afraid of guns.I am afraid of people though.As soon as I see somebody out in the woods openly brandishing a weapon I have to pay special attention to that person.The gun is not going to do something stupid or worse, the damn person is.Where I am from every body has a gun and you would never know it.Why because thier ego and identity is not wrapped up in there gun.When i see somebody prancing around saying look at me and my gun,I have to worry.

I do not see what picking on people uncomfortable with guns accomplishes except maybe stroking a weak ego.The more I run into these conversations,the more I feel the need for gun control.And I am against any gun control.Just like there are people wanting to carry there are people who do not.Mocking these people is not helping your so called cause.Your drilling holes in your own boat and you are going to blame everybody else when it sinks.use you head man!

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I am not afraid of guns.I am afraid of people though.As soon as I see somebody out in the woods openly brandishing a weapon I have to pay special attention to that person.The gun is not going to do something stupid or worse, the damn person is.Where I am from every body has a gun and you would never know it.Why because thier ego and identity is not wrapped up in there gun.When i see somebody prancing around saying look at me and my gun,I have to worry.

I do not see what picking on people uncomfortable with guns accomplishes except maybe stroking a weak ego.The more I run into these conversations,the more I feel the need for gun control.And I am against any gun control.Just like there are people wanting to carry there are people who do not.Mocking these people is not helping your so called cause.Your drilling holes in your own boat and you are going to blame everybody else when it sinks.use you head man!

Lol. That was the whole point of the question. Its about people carrying their gun, holstered. Not some one walking around pulling a gun out every 5 seconds.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I am not afraid of guns.I am afraid of people though.As soon as I see somebody out in the woods openly brandishing a weapon I have to pay special attention to that person.

How many times have you seen this?

FYI:

bran·dish
ˈbrandiSH/
verb
verb: brandish; 3rd person present: brandishes; past tense: brandished; past participle: brandished; gerund or present participle: brandishing

wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
How many times have you seen this?

FYI:

bran·dish
ˈbrandiSH/
verb
verb: brandish; 3rd person present: brandishes; past tense: brandished; past participle: brandished; gerund or present participle: brandishing

wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.

I think your more like to catch someone "brandishing" the third appendage between the legs in the woods then your are to see a guy "brandishing" a gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior