FWD promaster or Propulsion sprinter

Safari997

Hello,

This message is not realy for an explo Rv but we need your experience of drivers!

We want to buy a rv to travel one year from Montreal (tha's why i have a funny English)-Artic-Antartic and back.

We already own a B class for 8 years.
On a GMC Savana 3500HD 4.8L V8.
And traveled Sourh-West USA and Baja California to Cabo for 6 months with our 2 bous (9 and 11 years).

So we exactly know how we like to travel:

A lot à boondock, no camping, less hwy as possible. We drive out of the beaten paths. Wilderness and city when we need to go in!

So for oir long trip , we want to buy our 3th safari condo.
The model we want is offer in 2 chassis.

Mercedes sprinter 3500 HD high roof double wheel. V6 3L turbo diesel. 22 feets.

Dodge promaster Diesel front wheel drive high roof 21 Feets.

The promaster is about 10 000$ cheaper on the price.

So you exerienced drivers, i won't do trail for 4x4! But we love to explore trail and backcountry road.
We will give a feew inches of ground clearance

Be sure i will take the time to read all your post !

www.safari997.blogspot.com

Sebastien.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
We want to buy a rv to travel one year from Montreal (tha's why i have a funny English)-Artic-Antartic and back.

If you serious about leaving North America with that rig - I would not recommend either. The reason is that they require ultra-low diesel and use a DPF which makes access to fuel in central and south america a potential problem. Using normal diesel could cause engine damage.

The ProMaster van is available in a gasoline model - the Sprinter is not these days. The promaster has a very low rear axle which would concern me off road. I don't really like the dual rear wheels on the sprinter though either. There is also the option of one based on the new Ford Transit van which is offered with two different gasoline engines and has a high load rated version with single rear wheels.

Best of Luck!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
:iagree:

Though if you run the numbers and find out that the total weight you'll carry is under 8550 pounds, you could use the single rear wheel Sprinter 2500. A somewhat unusual alternative would be to use the 9,990 pound Sprinter 3500 with the "super single" single rear wheel option. (No option for a 4x4 with that option, though.)

The difference in ground clearance is dramatic. With no driveshaft to the rear, the Promaster can sit really low to the ground, which is a big blessing if you're climbing in and out of it all day making deliveries, but it's not good off pavement. Sprinters have as more clearance almost all SUVs.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I just looked at the Safari Condo website and I notice that the list the fuel economy figures in the European manner and give an equivalent MPG - but the MPG is still based on Imperial gallons, not US.

For the Savana/Express based van - They say (Essence) Up to 12.8 L / 100 km (22 miles/gallon) - which equals 18.3 MPG US

For the Sprinter based van - They say (Diesel) Up to 8,9 L / 100 km (31.7 miles/gallon) - which equals 26.4 MPG US

For the ProMaster based van - They say (Essence) Up to 11,6L/100Km (24 miles/gallon) highway on summer - which equals 20.3 MPG US
(Diesel) Up to 9,6L/100Km (29,4 miles/gallon) european consummation (opt.) - which equals 24.5 MPG US

I find all of these values optimistic - they sound like they are for the base van and not the RV version with the extra items sticking out of it causing additional drag.

What did your GMC van achieve?

Looks like they don't offer a ford Transit version - you might ask if they are considering it as a platform.

Safari997

Thanks for your comments!
That is exactly what i look for!
My 3500 GMC sold because we realise that one year of making bed on and of each night is not an option.
So we want a permanent bed.
We also like to have the option to take a shower inside, even if the toilet is small!
And for the diesel, if it's a B class it's not to bad. In 32000km ride we did an total average of 16l/100km.
It is ok.
The safari condo does not do it in a Transit.

So gas transit could be a better chassis to look at if i understand well.

The transit should give me more ground clearance?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The transit should give me more ground clearance?
Figure about 6 inches on the stock tires, possibly 7 inches or a bit more with a modest upsizing of tires. A Sprinter starts at about 7, and writeups say the 4x4 option adds 4.3 inches to that. Yipes.

FWIW, my negativity yesterday on the Promaster's low stance may have been overdone. The van floor is substantially lower than the RWD Transit and Sprinter--I've climbed in and out of Sprinters and Promasters a lot--but if you believe the statistics on the Internet, the RAM's minimum ground clearance is about the same.

Safari997

For ground clearance, we traveled with folks of Switzerland and he got the Ducato chassis.
For ground clearance under, we did almost the same road.
The back part of rhe rv after the RWD was longer so i could have better clearance at the beggening of the climb.

But what about fwd on a step hill to climb vs rwd?

On burr trail in Capitol Reef we had rain and it was impraticable!

I climb a the road with rhe Savana 3500HD and he had to put chain to come up!

So this is on of my concern in the Cordiliere des Andes narrow, steppy road!

So somes advice, you guy help me because i had 2 rwd b class in the past but no fwd rv.

The fact is i prefere the model on the Promaster.

But i'm not sure that the Promaster will give me the liberty to explore like i did with a 3500HD
Savana.

I can't pay a Tigerprovan or Earthroamer!

So let's talk!

Safari997

It's not an easy solution!
Sprinter gc: 6.9 in
ProMaster gc: 6.9 in
Transit gc: 6.5 in
Savanna 3500HD gc: 7.4 in

So the best coule be a 3500, Gaz with high roof (i'm 6'3) with dry bath. The only on Whois can grive me that is sportsmobie.
My first choice coule be a used 4x4 sprinter but all ULSD!

I tought about Chinook but gpm is So bad with V10, i Will cry making about 10mpg!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94