Best for $10,000?

tarditi

Explorer
$10k for the platform alone, correct? Not including mods like off-road tires, lift kit, armor, etc.

Texans Outdoors

TexansOutdoors.com
I have a 99' suburban 4x4 that was our family "soccer mom" rig.
I kept debating on which vehicle to buy (4 runner, Tacoma, Jeep...) After the dealer offered $2500 on trade in, I decided to rebuild this one.

New crate engine installed $4850
Trans mission rebuild $1650
New front end, A/C with evaporator coil and brakes $3700
New upholstery $750

So I'm $11000 all in. I sort of piece milled this project. I figured it's easier to make money than save it so I put in the overtime at work as opposed to doing it myself.

There are plenty of good deals out there that should get you in a dependable rig under $10K.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Wasnt there an exact article about this last year?

edit: i cant seem to find it, but i know it was posted on the home page.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have a 99' suburban 4x4 that was our family "soccer mom" rig.
I kept debating on which vehicle to buy (4 runner, Tacoma, Jeep...) After the dealer offered $2500 on trade in, I decided to rebuild this one.

New crate engine installed $4850
Trans mission rebuild $1650
New front end, A/C with evaporator coil and brakes $3700
New upholstery $750

So I'm $11000 all in. I sort of piece milled this project. I figured it's easier to make money than save it so I put in the overtime at work as opposed to doing it myself.

There are plenty of good deals out there that should get you in a dependable rig under $10K.
Pictures? Do you have a build thread?
GMT-400 Tahoe/Suburban and 97-02 Expedition threads are interesting to me because the price of entry is so cheap. Not unusual to find them in running condition for around $2k.
I'm sure there are a lot of people who tell you you're throwing money away by putting it into a 17 year old truck but assuming the body and frame are in good shape, you've basically got the equivalent of a brand new 1999 truck for the cost of a well used 2005.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Best expo vehicle with 4 doors, 4wd, for a $10,000 budget? Curious to see a compilation of these

Too many variables to come up with a list. How old are you willing to go? What are your passenger /cargo requirements? Is MPG a factor? Is brand or country of origin a factor? Does it need to be off-road-ready right out of the box or are you willing to put some time/money into building it up? Do you need to sleep inside and if so, how many people? What part of the country are you in (because this will affect what is available on the used market unless you are willing to travel for it?) Will this be a single-purpose vehicle or does it need to be a DD/grocery getter too? Is there any special equipment you need (like automatic transmission only, 3 rows of seats, 8' bed, etc?)
Just saying "4 doors" doesn't help - a Suzuki Grand Vitara and an F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed both have 4 doors but are hardly in the same class. ;)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wasnt there an exact article about this last year?

edit: i cant seem to find it, but i know it was posted on the home page.
There have been at least a dozen or more threads like this. Enough that IMO we need a separate section for "what vehicle should I get?" because a lot of people post these questions in the wrong area of the board and then very few people see them so they don't get an answer.

762X39

Explorer
I paid $10K for my mint condition 1970 Swiss S404 Unimog when I purchased it 16 years ago. Can't complain about about it whatsoever.
Unimog Christmas 2002.jpg
It required no modifications to make it capable (factory lockers, portal axles and 120:1 first gear, what's not to like... other than 30km/litre and 80km/h cruising speed)...:coffee:

4x4junkie

Explorer
... because a lot of people post these questions in the wrong area of the board and then very few people see them so they don't get an answer.

I'm not sure that I've seen a thread like this that didn't quickly go to two pages or more... Many go to 5 pages or more.

A few good suggestions have already been given (Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition)... But I agree the OP does need to be more specific about intended usage, size requirements, any MPG concerns, etc.

Pretty much anything having a two-speed transfer case is worthy of consideration... though some models (or years within a model) are much more capable, rugged, and/or modifiable than others.

I became curious what all is out there that is not too obscure here in the U.S., so I compiled this list (hopefully not missing anything obvious)...
All are 4-door or offer 4-doors, have had a 2-speed t-case at some point in their production, and should be available for $10K or less:

Chevy Avalanche
Chevy (GMC) (S-10) Blazer (S-15 Jimmy)
Chevy (GMC) Colorado (Canyon)
Chevy (GMC) K-series
Chevy (GMC) Silverado (Sierra)
Chevy (GMC) Suburban
Chevy (GMC) Tahoe (Yukon)
Chevy Trailblazer
Dodge Dakota
Dodge Durango
Dodge Ram
Ford Excursion
Ford Expedition
Ford Explorer
Ford Explorer Sport-Trac
Ford F-150
Ford F-250/350
Hummer H3/H3T
Isuzu Rodeo (Honda Passport)
Isuzu Trooper (Acura SLX)
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Jeep Commander
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jeep Liberty
Jeep Wagoneer (Grand Wagoneer)
Kia Sorento
Kia Sportage
Land Rover Discovery/LR3
Land Rover Range Rover
Mercedes M-Class
Mitsubishi Montero
Nissan Armada
Nissan Frontier
Nissan Pathfinder
Nissan Titan
Nissan Xterra
Suzuki Sidekick/Grand Vitara (Chevy Tracker)
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra

---------------------------------------

Ones in Blue have at least one generation (year range) that is worth considering for rugged use (has a durable drivetrain & suspension, and at least fairly decent aftermarket support).

Ones in Red additionally have at least one generation (usually the earliest gen) that particularly stands out for off-road prowess, ability to handle large tires reliably, and/or ease of modification (good if rock crawling or other hard use is planned).

Ones that are Dark Blue seem like potentially decent platforms, but unfortunately haven't garnered much aftermarket support.

If anyone is wondering why the (seemingly obvious) Wrangler JK isn't on the list, I saw almost no examples anywhere close to $10K in my area (crazy, I know lol) Same for the H2 (though I did see several with $12-15K asking prices).

So whatever the OP's requirements are, there should be more than plenty to choose from. :)

Last edited:
Vehicles around $10,000

You can find a 96-97 Toyota Land Cruiser (some models have front and rear lockers from the factory. with about 140-190k miles on it. Or Lexus LX450 same vehicle. Solid axles front/rear. They are all over California

03-04 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 (80-110k miles), a lot of the 04s come with a center diff lock. solid axles front and rear. can add air lockers and numbers and racks and all.

Or even an 05/06 Land Rover LR3, the terrain response system is pretty dang good in these. air suspension all the way around. can add lockers. probably find one in this price range with about 100-130k miles.

4th Gen 4Runner, 2003 most likely, with about 120-150k miles, 4wd, ATRAC, can add lockers and everything else.

100 series Land Cruiser 98-2002 with about 160-200k miles on it. a LOT of 98-99 models have a rear locker. 2000+ dropped the locker and changed to ATRAC. probably one of the most reliable vehicles ever made. LOT of people out there that buy these at 200k miles and drive them for 4-5 years.

huge aftermarket support for all of these vehicles. too many to list here but these vehicles are my top choices for overlanding.

Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier