Best for $10,000?

LR Max

Local Oaf
LR3.

The 05 and 06 models are available in that price range. You can find good ones that have been taken care of.

Throw a few extra $$ at it to fix some known issues (nothing ground breaking), and off ya go in a very capable and comfortable rig.

I'm not sure that I've seen a thread like this that didn't quickly go to two pages or more... Many go to 5 pages or more.

A few good suggestions have already been given (Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition)... But I agree the OP does need to be more specific about intended usage, size requirements, any MPG concerns, etc.

Pretty much anything having a two-speed transfer case is worthy of consideration... though some models (or years within a model) are much more capable, rugged, and/or modifiable than others.

I became curious what all is out there that is not too obscure here in the U.S., so I compiled this list (hopefully not missing anything obvious)...
All are 4-door or offer 4-doors, have had a 2-speed t-case at some point in their production, and should be available for $10K or less:

Chevy Avalanche
Chevy (GMC) (S-10) Blazer (S-15 Jimmy)
Chevy (GMC) Colorado (Canyon)
Chevy (GMC) K-series
Chevy (GMC) Silverado (Sierra)
Chevy (GMC) Suburban
Chevy (GMC) Tahoe (Yukon)
Chevy Trailblazer
Dodge Dakota
Dodge Durango
Dodge Ram
Ford Excursion
Ford Expedition
Ford Explorer
Ford Explorer Sport-Trac
Ford F-150
Ford F-250/350
Hummer H3/H3T
Isuzu Rodeo (Honda Passport)
Isuzu Trooper (Acura SLX)
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Jeep Commander
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jeep Liberty
Jeep Wagoneer (Grand Wagoneer)
Kia Sorento
Kia Sportage
Land Rover Discovery/LR3
Land Rover Range Rover
Mercedes M-Class
Mitsubishi Montero
Nissan Armada
Nissan Frontier
Nissan Pathfinder
Nissan Titan
Nissan Xterra
Suzuki Sidekick/Grand Vitara (Chevy Tracker)
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra

---------------------------------------

Ones in Blue have at least one generation (year range) that is worth considering for rugged use (has a durable drivetrain & suspension, and at least fairly decent aftermarket support).

Ones in Red additionally have at least one generation (usually the earliest gen) that particularly stands out for off-road prowess, ability to handle large tires reliably, and/or ease of modification (good if rock crawling or other hard use is planned).

Ones that are Dark Blue seem like potentially decent platforms, but unfortunately haven't garnered much aftermarket support.

If anyone is wondering why the (seemingly obvious) Wrangler JK isn't on the list, I saw almost no examples anywhere close to $10K in my area (crazy, I know lol) Same for the H2 (though I did see several with $12-15K asking prices).

So whatever the OP's requirements are, there should be more than plenty to choose from. :)

Holy compilations batman! Now I know what I'm doing with my day.....

97 Landcruiser or 1st gen Tacoma/Tundra depending if you want a truck or a SUV

You can find a 96-97 Toyota Land Cruiser (some models have front and rear lockers from the factory. with about 140-190k miles on it. Or Lexus LX450 same vehicle. Solid axles front/rear. They are all over California

03-04 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 (80-110k miles), a lot of the 04s come with a center diff lock. solid axles front and rear. can add air lockers and numbers and racks and all.

Or even an 05/06 Land Rover LR3, the terrain response system is pretty dang good in these. air suspension all the way around. can add lockers. probably find one in this price range with about 100-130k miles.

4th Gen 4Runner, 2003 most likely, with about 120-150k miles, 4wd, ATRAC, can add lockers and everything else.

100 series Land Cruiser 98-2002 with about 160-200k miles on it. a LOT of 98-99 models have a rear locker. 2000+ dropped the locker and changed to ATRAC. probably one of the most reliable vehicles ever made. LOT of people out there that buy these at 200k miles and drive them for 4-5 years.

huge aftermarket support for all of these vehicles. too many to list here but these vehicles are my top choices for overlanding.

Hope this helps!

I've been surprised by the LC deals I've been finding!

LR3.

The 05 and 06 models are available in that price range. You can find good ones that have been taken care of.

Throw a few extra $$ at it to fix some known issues (nothing ground breaking), and off ya go in a very capable and comfortable rig.

Jeep grand Cherokee.

LR3 is a little complex for my taste. $3,000 for a single air pump repair is terrifying.

zelatore

Explorer
Not for 'nuthin, but there's no reason to spend $3K for an air compressor repair on an LR3. In fact, about the only way to spend that kind of money is to be completely hands off and ignorant of the vehicle and blindly hand it over to a dealer with a blank check.

Early model compressors can be rebuilt at home in an afternoon for a couple hundred bucks. Worst case you can swap it to the later model compressor at home for less than $1000 (at dealer pricing for the compressor) in an hour or two.

I'm not saying the truck isn't overly complex or that you'll blissfully drive off into the sunset for a million miles with nothing but oil changes, but it's not quite as scary as some would have you believe.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
You can get a grand in awesome condition for way less than 10g, and then spend the extra on upgrades like good tires, etc.

kojackJKU

It will go much farther than your Silverado however. Plus if your Silverado has the same build quality that my suburban does.....and it does, I would rather own a shoebox with 4 dinky wheels.

fiddypal

Adventurer
It will go much farther than your Silverado however. Plus if your Silverado has the same build quality that my suburban does.....and it does, I would rather own a shoebox with 4 dinky wheels.

I am not partial to the silverado at all, just saying i'd rather have a vehicle with larger interior. I happen to own both vehicles so thats what i had to compare with, i am sure there are better trucks out there in the stated price range.

kojackJKU

Depending what the OP is looking for. for a full Expo style rig with awesome capability, there is not much in the price range that will offer a newer vehicle with the capability of the GC. I was just saying about the quality of chev products in the 10,000 range. or Lack there of! my 05 burb z71 only has 120,000 km or 80,000 miles. and its falling apart. conversely my 2003 F150 lariat screw with 159,000 kms on the clock feels like a new truck.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
4runner, sequoia, land cruiser, grand cherokee, xterra, suburban, excursion would all be on my list to look at. primarily the Toyotas, followed by a diesel grand cherokee.

CCPAJeeper

Observer
I bought an 04 Dodge 2500 quad cab short bed. 80,000 miles, runs great. Paid just over $10K. Put a set of 285 Cooper ST Maxx on it and it goes like a tank. Full size, real axles, heavy duty. However, if MPG is an issue, this is not the truck for you. 11mpg around town, 14 on a trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior