Gen 2.5 got rear ended - Insurance wants to salvage it

freewayross

Adventurer
I have a 2000 Montero, winter package with around 111 k miles. Runs like a champ. I got rear ended few days back, the rear bumper is shot, and there is d slight damage to driver side rear quarter panel.

Pics when i bought it: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/144359-Pulled-the-trigger-on-Montero-2-5

The Car is titled in florida, Insurance company said they would pay me $3238.04 in total for car, I have an option of keeping if I pay them the salvage value $359.91.

What do you guys suggest? The car still runs great has brand new 33' BFG tires. Returned from a 3000+ miles trip few weeks back.

Any one know about florida rules for salvage car? The guy from Insurance said I can put the car on road and it won't be a salvage title because of some rule.....

I think he said it's older than 2007 and the repair estimate is less than $7000.

Please advise folks.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
As long as all of the doors still align and close as designed and nothing safety-related was affected then drive it until the wheels fall off.

freewayross

Adventurer
Thanks Guys that's what I wanted to do, but wanted some boost.

Jeep-N-Montero, Let me get back to you for the bumper.

mapper

Explorer
My driver's side doors don't even line up right and I've been driving mine post accident. Though i did finally get my doors to open. Put about 1000 miles on post accident and plan to use it as support vehicle for biking white rim this spring. As long as it's safe, reliable and you don't mind driving a beat up vehicle, keep driving. You could use this as an opportunity for a custom rest bumper

freewayross

Adventurer
like the idea..... already making plans for the insurance cash out. Does anyone know if i can negotiate on the price Allstate is offering? Has anyone done that?

Swank Force One

Adventurer
You can absolutely negotiate, and i would suggest it. If you feel the truck is worth more than what they're offering you, then say so, and be prepared to back up your statements with comparable examples. If you feel that your truck was in exceptional condition and had much more than the normal amount of work/attention done to it, produce receipts for aftermarket parts.

Don't expect a 100% return on parts or labor, but every little bit helps.

<-- Now entering 6th month fighting with insurance over value of my old Cherokee.

mapper

Explorer
Base on your mileage you should do better. I'd make the low mileage a staple of your argument because nearly every other "comparable" is going to be pushing 200k. ALSO, make it very clear there is a difference between Montero and Montero Sport. Most classifieds lump them together and their adjuster could be making a honest mistake using Sports as a comparable.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
If you're going to argue for a better rate - go in with evidence showing that their offer is low. Ads for comparable vehicles, proof of anything that would increase the value of your vehicle (low miles, modifications, etc., - maintenance items like rebuilt engines or transmissions generally don't get much traction). Also make sure that their offer includes sales tax. They should be reimbursing you (in advance) for what you're going to pay for a replacement vehicle - which includes tax. At least that's what they do out here.

If you keep it & it does end up with a salvage title - so what? You won't be able to sell it for much when that time comes, but you're basically driving a $350 vehicle! You're getting your money out of it now rather than later. If there is a loop hole that allows you to keep a non-salvage title, just consider it a bonus!

freewayross

Adventurer
If you're going to argue for a better rate - go in with evidence showing that their offer is low. Ads for comparable vehicles, proof of anything that would increase the value of your vehicle (low miles, modifications, etc., - maintenance items like rebuilt engines or transmissions generally don't get much traction). Also make sure that their offer includes sales tax. They should be reimbursing you (in advance) for what you're going to pay for a replacement vehicle - which includes tax. At least that's what they do out here.

If you keep it & it does end up with a salvage title - so what? You won't be able to sell it for much when that time comes, but you're basically driving a $350 vehicle! You're getting your money out of it now rather than later. If there is a loop hole that allows you to keep a non-salvage title, just consider it a bonus!

Thanks, did just that. Now they have accepted my offer of $3500 + tax+tag+title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior