Cruiser 100 Series - Family Overland

ShannonH

We have a family of 5. Age range 40 yrs old to 5 months old. With our three kids things get crazy and cluttered in the cab and thus start to drive the driver crazy. Hence the need for Organization.
I'm not the best builder but I do enjoy it. With these incentives I hit the shop, as time allows, to create the things that help us to get outside, be simple, and not go crazy.

Go Outside...Not crazy.

Attachments

• 20151128_161645.jpg
    20151128_161645.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 51

ShannonH

In pursuit of Organization

In pursuit of Organization I recently built a 'modular' divider for our Cruiser. Thought someone might enjoy the inspiration as I did with a lot of other folks and their rigs.

The concept started with our 85lb. Black Lab who hates to be left behind. It was evident when our gear was loaded and that he effectively occupied 1/3 of the cargo space by the simple fact that nothing could be stacked above, or in such a way that it would roll over and land on him. We did strap the load down but were still wasting considerable space because it could not be packed in around him.

Our other challenge was that with 5 of us occupying the front two rows, we occasionally need to use the jump seats for our young relations that enjoy adventuring with us.

So with those parameters in play we developed the following features into the desighn:

1. Removable for full cargo space or left Jump Seat (About 5min.)
2. Modular
3. Right Jump Seat usable with divider installed
4. Mid row seats able to recline
5. L-Track system can be utilized for tie-downs when divider not in use
6. Canine Kennel with storage below
7. Wing window used for Canine Air

I used Baltic Birch in 3/4" for this prototype. As with many of us, we build and then rethink the design. I am planning on replacing the panels with 1/2" HDPE in Marine Gray in about 6 months after we have a chance to use it and discover the flaws along with epiphanies for refinement.

Hope this is inspirational to a fellow traveler, or better yet, someone has a superior design that will help us develop ours.

Cheers!

20160203_132712 (1).jpg20160203_132721.jpg20160203_132733.jpg20160203_132741.jpg20160208_113935.jpg

nmatcek

Adventurer
Great idea. I am looking to build a similar solution but don't want the weight and price tag of the commercially available drawer systems. This is right in line with what I need to make.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Philthyphil

Observer
Love the thought process. $1k for drawers never penciled out for me, although handy. Jealous because we have a 160# great dane so regardless of any system, he gets the lion share of the cargo area. Not complaining because we chose the beast and we love him, but it makes you want a ****z-su next...

ShannonH

Love the thought process. $1k for drawers never penciled out for me, although handy. Jealous because we have a 160# great dane so regardless of any system, he gets the lion share of the cargo area. Not complaining because we chose the beast and we love him, but it makes you want a ****z-su next...

I can't imagine traveling with a dog of that size. The loft I built into this divider was at a minimum for our 85lb. Lab. Danes are a great dog however so I understand your commitment.

ShannonH

I like the dawer systems as well; but not the price. Additionally I like to build my own as much as possible. The biggest drawback for us wold be the loss of the jump-seats.

I would have built this system out of 1/2" to save weight, however this is a prototype and I had the 3/4" on hand.

I'm very interested in seeing what variations you and others come up with. Enjoy your build.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Have you considered steel grid instead of wood? It'd be lighter and more "Open" you could also strap, zip tie etc. stuff on the vertical walls. Fwiw, our family of 5 has really appreciated the use of our Thule roof box. It swallows tons of light, soft, bulky gear, like bedding, tents, camp chairs etc.

ShannonH

Have you considered steel grid instead of wood? It'd be lighter and more "Open" you could also strap, zip tie etc. stuff on the vertical walls. Fwiw, our family of 5 has really appreciated the use of our Thule roof box. It swallows tons of light, soft, bulky gear, like bedding, tents, camp chairs etc.

That is a great idea. I actually gave it some serious thought. My plan was to use perferated sheets of Stainless Steel, but this would have required a framework, and I was looking for something more simplistic which would require a product that would be strong enough in and of itself.

The 1/2" HDPE I will be using in the final execution is stain resistant, durable and strong. I also plan on punching a grid of holes into the panels, 1"-2" in diameter, where it does not allow debris to fall from the loft and does not comprise the integrity. I'm not a fan of hair and dirt floating around. By cutting the holes in the appropriate places, ie under the dog mat, I anticipate reducing the weight anywhere from 25-35%.

I checked out the first two pages of your build. Well done! I'll be keeping tabs on it. Please let me know if you have any other good suggestions. Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior