Motor mount replacement

montero98ls

Observer
Searched a bit and didn't really find anything, maybe I overlooked, but I need to replace my motor mounts on my 3.5 DOHC was wondering if theres a diy somewhere. Seems pretty straight forward like most V engines I've done before. Any tips I should know about?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Straight forward indeed, put a block of wood on top of your floor jack to raise the engine and replace the mount, should take about 10-12 minutes each.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Pretty sure i know the answer to this, but does anyone make aftermarket mounts? Or am i just doing a gut 'n' fill with a poly kit?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Straight forward indeed, put a block of wood on top of your floor jack to raise the engine and replace the mount, should take about 10-12 minutes each.

The two front engine mounts need replacing on my 2002 (3.5L).
The FSM removal instructions have you disconnecting "everything" before raising your engine.

I was hoping the process would be closer to jeep-N-montero's suggested strategy.
...looking for anyone who has completed this repair and is willing to share how it went.

Cheers.

montero98ls

Observer
That's how I did mine, I have the DOHC though. I had to really Jack it up, even removing the plastic engine cover the intake manifold started to touch what appeared to be the cruise control cable box on the firewall. I did get it done without damage. I would imagine a SOHC would have more room since the intake manifold isn't as big.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
That's how I did mine, I have the DOHC though. I had to really Jack it up, even removing the plastic engine cover the intake manifold started to touch what appeared to be the cruise control cable box on the firewall. I did get it done without damage. I would imagine a SOHC would have more room since the intake manifold isn't as big.

Thanks for the response.

I referenced my Haynes after reviewing the FSM, and the Haynes gives the "easy- jack and swap" directions for the front mounts.
Parts are on order...

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier