2016 Outback: The Traveler - Long Distance Expo Build

CurtStyler

Observer
So I’ve had my car for just under 4 months, I’m about to cross 10,000 miles and I’m getting ready for some longer trips with more camping. I figured this is a good time to start my build log.

I bought this car to build into an expedition style offroader. That said, since this is my first real step into this style of travel, if for some reason I didn’t enjoy it I wanted something that could still be an economical daily driver for me.

I basically wanted something that could split the line between RV and camp car but got good MPG. I don’t plan on taking this into true offroad territory. I figured that most of the places I want to go will have some sort of road, be it pavement, dirt, dust or 2 track so offroad ability was not my primary concern. Instead I wanted something comfortable for putting on many, MANY miles that would be reliable and would haul all my camp and photography gear along with food and water and maybe a friend or 2.

All that and I wanted to get as close to 25 MPG as I could, higher would be better. The goal was to bring enough stuff that I could camp instead of using hotels on multiday trips, ultimately saving money.

I’m an engineer so I looked at probably 45 different vehicles. I calculated insurance costs, payments, estimated fuel cost, modification cost and cargo capacity (both behind seats and with seats down). In the end the only cars that hit my fuel requirements were Subaru’s, both the Forester and Outback. I test drove both but the Forester felt too small and top heavy whereas I the Outback felt just right. I had to push my budget and get a deal but it worked out. I ordered a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV in Pearl White. The only option I got was the seat back covers so I could fold them down and have a hard surface for gear.

Here she is the day I picked her up.

2016 Subaru Outback Adventures
by Curt Styler, on Flickr

And the next day after 300 miles when I got my new tires, 245/65R17 Cooper AT3’s.

New tires

I needed a tire that would handle dirt roads and inclement weather while eating up all the highway miles I could throw at them. These fit the bill, they aren’t the most rugged offroad tire but for my use they are perfect. I picked the car up in Chicago and had the tires put on up there, so the drive back to Florida was a good chance to see just how much room I had in the trunk. I’m glad everything fit!

Tons of Trunk Space

Then came a few months of just driving around central Florida. Many trips to Disney world, a trip to go camping and a trip to Daytona Beach (both on cloudy, cold and rainy days).

Daytona Beach

I made a Vlog when I went camping. I'm just learning about video editing as I would love to record my travels as much as possible.

That was my first camping trip in years but I knew I needed a new tent. I could barely fit my self and my shoes much less any gear. I also only got a few hours sleep because my back has problems. My first plan was to build a sleeping platform in the car, but as I began to acquire gear it became apparent there would not be enough room for a sleeping area and all my gear without removing the rear seats. I had been looking at a Roof Top Tent for a while but couldn’t justify the cost. Then I saw that 4 Wheel Parts was having a one day sale on the Smittybilt Overlander tent. It was pure luck that I came across the deal and a full impulse buy. It cost me about $660 with free pickup from my local 4 Wheel Parts, less than half the price of the Kukenam Sky from Tepui while being basically the same tent just with cheaper zippers and a little less quality control. I added a 3 year warranty for $70 and was done.

Smittybilt Overlander Tent

Smittybilt Overlander Tent Installed

I had my dad help install it on the stock roof rails. I’ve had it up there for about a month now and everything is going peachy. I took a few MPG hit. I get about 23 MPG on the highway now, but I carry my own sleeping quarters. I say that’s a fair trade.

-More to Come Soon! Thanks for reading!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Awesome! We are about to pull the trigger on one too. Nice to see the RTT on it. Do you fit into parkades with it?

psyfalcon

23 mpg from a rated 33?

Pretty big hit for something to put a lot of miles on. Then again, how many people have taken their jeeps from 18 to 12 mpg and still not had a place to sleep.

CurtStyler

Observer
Awesome! We are about to pull the trigger on one too. Nice to see the RTT on it. Do you fit into parkades with it?

Some. I can actually fit it in my garage. The height comes to right around 6' 6". You do have to pay attention to the height of where you are trying to park, some are 6' 5" and those I have to avoid, but if it's a 7' clearance I can get in just fine.

23 mpg from a rated 33?

Pretty big hit for something to put a lot of miles on. Then again, how many people have taken their jeeps from 18 to 12 mpg and still not had a place to sleep.

Yeah the fuel milage gets me a bit. However I knew 33 would never happen. My tires a wider and heavier than the stock ones so that alone ate a bit of milage. I put about 7,000 on before I mounted the RTT and I was able to get 27-28 MPG at 70 mph with the only mod being the tires. That was totally worth it, the car got quieter, smoother and more stable after the Coopers replaced the stock tires.

My city milage is still right around 22 MPG which is the major difference between the Outback and something like a 4Runner or a Jeep.
Here is my Fuelly page. I also suspect the Winter fuel blend stole some MPGs. My milage began going down around December even though my driving habits really didn't change much. Overall I'm happy with it. Fuel is cheap right now and at 22 MPG it's a lot better than my Hummer H3 that would top out at 14 on the highway :cool:.

LionZoo

Observer
Always nice to see another Subaru. Just a note on fuel mileage, by comparison, my 2016 6MT Forester averages around 27 mpg now with bigger (225/70-16) AT tires and a roof basket. The tires took out about 2 mpg and the roof rack another 2 mpg. It used to be a hair above 30 mpg stock.

p nut

butter
Yeah, mine got 33MPG highway, stock. I had a Yak Loadwarrior on, which took 2-3MPG off. I have since removed it, as we don't use it that often. We need to replace the stock tires soon, and will probably go with a Yok Geolander ATS. Hopefully we won't take much of a MPG hit.

CurtStyler

Observer
you guys must drive with MPG in mind. even being slightly conservative i never broke 26 with my stock 15

I do a lot of highway or back road 60 mph driving. If I'm around town I never drive more than 5 miles but I spend a lot of time in not-my-town whenever I can. I'm pretty casual when I drive so I keep it around 2000 RPM a lot of the time.

Ok, here's a bit more on the car. I'm trying to write as I have time.

New Wheel and Tire by Curt Styler, on Flickr

My most recent purchase was a full size spare on a stock wheel from my local Subaru. They price matched an online deal and I got the tire and wheel mounted for $340 without TPMS. The Outback won't recognize more than 4 wheels so I would have had to go and have the car reprogrammed every time I rotate my wheels (5 wheel rotation).

Here's a quick comparison between the Cooper AT3 in 245/65R17 vs the stock 225/65R17 Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS tire.

Tire Compare by Curt Styler, on Flickr

I spent last weekend exploring Dixie County in Florida. There's a Wildlife Refuge there with some dirt roads and is just a beautiful place in general. I also learned that I need a storage solution for the trunk area.

Dixie County FL by Curt Styler, on Flickr

Dixie County FL by Curt Styler, on Flickr

My spare tire was bouncing around and almost crushed my camera gear. I also need a place for all my camping gear. I want my car to be full stocked so I can take off on an adventure at a moments notice.

And that's where I am now. I removed all the trunk stuff from the floor because I needed that extra 2 inches to fit my tire in vertically. Now I'm trying to come up with a design for a storage area. I'm not sure what I will do with the tire pit just yet.

Trunk Space by Curt Styler, on Flickr

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you have any thoughts or advice on the car!

CurtStyler

Observer
This generation of of outback is quite capable off-road.

I tell ya, I never thought I would end up with an Outback. The only Subaru experience I've had was someone I know in High School had one. It was a hand me down wagon, not sure what model or year. He was always blasting around and hooning the living daylights out of it, and not the safe ways.

I started with the Subaru as the last option. My same friend went through several engines, although again...hooning.

In the end I thought the level of offroad ability would be just what I needed. Light to Medium offroad ability with a level of comfort that makes 3000+ mile trips enjoyable.

I had pretty much decided to get an Outback when I saw FreshLikeSushi's build on Jalopnik (AND HERE ON EXPO) and Midlifecrisis' build HERE ON EXPO. Those were the icing on the cake.

Also, my parents love the car too and want to buy it from me if I ever get tired of it :p. That won't be for a while!

Last edited:

stayalert

Observer
Looks cool so far so good! I may have missed it but Did your MPG calcs. take into account the tire size change and the effect it might have on your Odo./Speedo?

mike2100

Observer
Any rubbing with those tires? Are you running wheel spacers?

Funny you said the Coopers are smoother than the Bridgestone Duelers. As soon as we took delivery of our 16 Outback I felt like there was a slight tire vibration. I wasn't surprised though as we had a similar experience with our 2012 Impreza with stock Yokohama tires. They were crap. There is something about OEM spec'd tires on Subarus. :(
Looking hard at replacing them with 235/65-17 Cooper AT3s. Although the stockers did well on the beach the other day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior