Which Gen III Montero?

Jim(tm)

I'm getting ready to buy a Gen III Montero and I was wondering how the 3.5 and the 4spd compared to the 3.8 and the 5spd auto

KgB

Observer
yeah, I saw a bunch about power, etc but I was thinking more about reliability and longevity

typically there are not a lot to choose from, 2003 and up are usually more expensive, very few people have real world experience with both , from the research that I have done, all Gen III's are extremely reliable

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Must be the effects of winter...lots of this kind of post recently.

As JeepNM said, reading existing threads both here and on 4x4 wire will yield all the information you could possibly want. Short version: the Montero is regarded as just about the most competent, robust and reliable four wheel drive available.

KyleT

Explorer
3.8 5 spd is quite a bit quicker than the 3.5 4spd imo. The bigger benefit is the traction control and the 3.8 is easier to do timing belts on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I have owned both Gen 3 versions. The XLS with 3.5L desperately needed another gear for interstate driving, but I towed with it to the track. The 3.8L in the newer models has fewer quirks to keep an eye on, and the 5-speed is great. Traction control is definitely a welcome addition offroad and on road. My 05 had a diff noise so I swapped it for an older LSD assembly, but I will leave the front open and let TC handle it. Overall reliability is about the same, but 03+ have more creature comforts for long journeys. Let me know if you have any more questions about either version.

earljuic3

Adventurer
What creature comforts do you have in your 03+ I don't have in my 02 Limited??

Limited:
3.5L
5spd
rear LSD
front and rear ac/heat
compass display
leather seats with heaters
dealer installed tow package
sun roof
etc

I guess my point here is...if you're willing to go a little older and the 3.5 doesn't scare you. I'd go with an early model limited which will save you a couple grand usually.

The only thing my truck needs is re-gearing because of tire size. I personally don't think the truck is under-powered except for towing or driving straight up a mountain (which I don't do much of either). Sure I could hunger for more...but I'm willing to run the motor at a higher rpm range merging onto the interstate to compensate. :victory:

Last edited:

Jim(tm)

Thanks for the info. I wondered if the 5spd trans might be less robust than the 4 but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also like the idea of less quirks with the 3.8. I think I'll hold out for that combo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior