New Pajero Just Came In

Pampas86

Just got this baby in today. Came in on a big trailer, dropped him off at the Walmart for me. Been waiting a long time for this guy...

A little back story first...the first car I ever owned was a 1991 Montero LS. It was my dad's hunting truck he passed on to me. I was a stupid high school kid...had no idea what I was in possession of...so 4 years, several run over mailboxes, missing passenger side mirror, dented front bumper (from running into the house...have mercy) and monster oil leak later, I pawned it off to a family member to help pay for my graduation present... a 3 year old Jetta (hands down the worst decision I've ever made...sell the Montero for $600 and purchase a dang VW...it had the infamous paper-thin wiring that within a couple years wouldn't allow any door, trunk, gas cap door, turn signals and sometimes wiper blades to operate properly if ever. And my cousin blew the Montero's engine and sold it for scrap metal...geez...).

Fast forward many years and I got the old Monty itch...spent the past couple of years looking for the right one and (fingers crossed) finally found it. 1989 Pajero 2.5TD. 130k miles, brand new tires, good paint. Nostalgia nation...

Lots of plans for this guy. I'm looking forward to many years with it, climbing trips, fishing trips, camping trips with the kiddos. Not too knowledgeable (yet) on car repair/maintenance, but looking forward to learning from and sharing with you guys. Looks like a great community here. To the Paj!

Photo Feb 10, 1 00 55 PM.jpg
Photo Feb 20, 7 28 44 AM.jpg
Photo Feb 20, 7 25 04 AM.jpg
Photo Feb 20, 7 27 57 AM.jpg
Photo Feb 20, 7 28 12 AM.jpg
Photo Feb 20, 7 28 21 AM.jpg
Photo Feb 20, 7 27 46 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Pampas86

Got it from a company in FL that sources vehicles from the UK.

Actually found a contact card in the glove box of who I'm guessing owned it last...tempting to try to contact him...wonder what time zone London is in?

scrubber3

Not really here
I think they are called Shogun in the UK and much of Europe. Seeing as it has pajero on the side, id be hesitant to say it's from England. Unless model years and names get switched.

Not saying is not, but I'd question it. Nice rig no matter where it's from.

Pampas86

I think they are called Shogun in the UK and much of Europe. Seeing as it has pajero on the side, id be hesitant to say it's from England. Unless model years and names get switched.

Not saying is not, but I'd question it. Nice rig no matter where it's from.

Good point, I was told it was originally sold in Australia but was moved to the UK at some point during its lifetime and brought to the states from there.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
The officially imported UK version was the Shogun, but they have a very active gray market for imported JDM's over there, and there are MANY Pajero's on the road as well. Maybe more than the "official" Shogun? (one of our UK members will likely chime in at some point)

That one looks to be in great shape! Congratulations! We won't hold the misfortunes of your youth against you. We've all been there... ;)

JamesW

Adventurer
That looks like it is a Japanese one which was imported to the UK. A giveaway to see is it an original UK car is the original reg would be etched into all the windows, it was be one letter followed by 3 numbers and 3 letters. It will also have a rear fog retrofitted under the bumper if it is an import.

It's half 6 here if you're wondering about the time difference

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Pampas86

That looks like it is a Japanese one which was imported to the UK. A giveaway to see is it an original UK car is the original reg would be etched into all the windows, it was be one letter followed by 3 numbers and 3 letters. It will also have a rear fog retrofitted under the bumper if it is an import.

It's half 6 here if you're wondering about the time difference

Nothing like that etched into any of the windows. The rear fog you are talking about, is that a single red light under the rear bumper, driver side?

JamesW

Adventurer
Nothing like that etched into any of the windows. The rear fog you are talking about, is that a single red light under the rear bumper, driver side?
That would be the one. I'd say it is an import from Japan into the UK, in the UK you must have a fog light on the rear, and the Japanese models don't come with one, so you can see easily enough when one was retrofit into the rear.

A lot of the original UK models rotted away to nothing due to the amount of salt that goes on the roads over there.

It Looks like a lovely machine, those are a great workhorse, they were very popular over here due to how reliable they were despite getting very little maintenance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94