2017 TRD Pro Tacoma

4Running

Just read the article. Nice work. If it had TRD sliders, and maybe a winch, it would be a complete package.

Agreed -- it just needs real sliders (unlike recent clearly cosmetic ones TRD showed off on the 2016 Land Cruiser at SEMA) and at least a winch option.

forty2

Adventurer
Go test drive one, it is pretty nice.

Agreed, I've got 3500 miles on mine and I quite like it. Never owned the 4.0, but I've driven it a fair amount. I would say the older engine has slightly more grunt off the line, but once you're actually into it you'd be hard pressed to call one better than the other. Of course I've never driven either in front of an auto trans (not that I'd want to) so that may need to be accounted for when weighing the two against each other.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Not exactly sure what happened there? Anyone help me out and let me know what I did wrong uploading these pictures?

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Hey Scott, don't count on those MPG's in the real world. I have 7200 miles on my DCSB TRD OR with an AT. Still running the stock tires, no lift and a tonneau cover. My mileage is at 17.3 overall right now. That's with me cruising to work, taking it easy with the CC set at 70, about 35 miles one way on the freeway. I've done a fair amount of offloading in it, I purchased it at the beginning of bird season, and it's taken me places that I never would have attempted in my full sized Chevy. So far, the MPG's are my only disappointment. This truck kicks but in every other way.

IMG_4506.jpg

The crawl control helped me get outta this little sticky situation. It did warp the drums though.

IMG_4710.jpg

This was out in the Mojave National Preserve near Clark Mtn. on the last day of bird season.

QUOTE=Scott Brady;2024815]The 4.0L is a great engine. One of the more noticeable advantages of the 3.5L is the new 6-speed automatic transmission. It keeps the motor in the meat of the power band for more of the acceleration cycle, so this truck really does feel strong. I still cannot believe the fuel economy in stock form. We could get 24mpg at 55mph. The biggest test for the drivetrain will be when we load these trucks up with accessories and larger tires. I am curious how that will affect the mileage.[/QUOTE]

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Why'd my pics come out upside down?
Hey Scott, don't count on those MPG's in the real world. I have 7200 miles on my DCSB TRD OR with an AT. Still running the stock tires, no lift and a tonneau cover. My mileage is at 17.3 overall right now. That's with me cruising to work, taking it easy with the CC set at 70, about 35 miles one way on the freeway. I've done a fair amount of offloading in it, I purchased it at the beginning of bird season, and it's taken me places that I never would have attempted in my full sized Chevy. So far, the MPG's are my only disappointment. This truck kicks but in every other way.

View attachment 329962

The crawl control helped me get outta this little sticky situation. It did warp the drums though.

View attachment 329963

This was out in the Mojave National Preserve near Clark Mtn. on the last day of bird season.

QUOTE=Scott Brady;2024815]The 4.0L is a great engine. One of the more noticeable advantages of the 3.5L is the new 6-speed automatic transmission. It keeps the motor in the meat of the power band for more of the acceleration cycle, so this truck really does feel strong. I still cannot believe the fuel economy in stock form. We could get 24mpg at 55mph. The biggest test for the drivetrain will be when we load these trucks up with accessories and larger tires. I am curious how that will affect the mileage.
[/QUOTE]

rickashay

Explorer
I'm actually quite impressed with Toyota's recent effort on the TRD Pro. Rear locker, crawl control, some very tasteful aesthetic upgrades, Fox suspension, and nice wheels & tires.... literally a very capable out of the box option from Toyota. Step up to a 33" tire and you have one hell of a rig with a warranty to back it up. Well done Toyota, although a slider option (like on the FJ's) would have been icing on the cake.

Cool commercial BTW.

Watt maker

What did you think of the Tacoma's new engine? I really like my 4.0L in my 2005 4Runner.

Although I haven't driven a '16 Tacoma yet, I have sort of raced my 2008 4Runner against one. One of my co-workers has a 2016 Tacoma and caught up to me one day after work on a rural stretch of highway. From a 55 mph roll, that new Tacoma left my 4runner in the dust pretty easy. A lot easier than I thought it would be. Like you, I also like how the 4.0 in my 4runner feels so I was surprised. We did two quick "runs" from 55 but it was clearly repeatable. I know drag racing isn't at the top of everyone's list (not at the top of my list anymore either) but that is the only real world comparison I have for now.

Honestly, I really like this 2017 Pro. I especially like the cement color. This new Tacoma could possibly replace my 2008 4runner someday.

forty2

Adventurer

17'5 doesn't seem to far off the real world mark, Fuelly is showing the peak of the bell curve in the 18s. I've been pretty happy with economy so far, 3500 miles in and I'm hovering right around 18.5 with a solid 50/50 mix of city and highway. Also a TRD OR, but with a manual.

Clutch

<---Pass
Agreed, I've got 3500 miles on mine and I quite like it. Never owned the 4.0, but I've driven it a fair amount. I would say the older engine has slightly more grunt off the line, but once you're actually into it you'd be hard pressed to call one better than the other. Of course I've never driven either in front of an auto trans (not that I'd want to) so that may need to be accounted for when weighing the two against each other.

All the fussing about that engine [on TW] before it even hit the market, heck and even after. [Blue T, comes to mind ;)] I went and test drove it myself to see, plenty of get up and go for me, very impressed with this truck, all in typical Toyota fashion, nothing too radical, but simply a further refinement of an already great platform.

As for gas mileage, willing to bet I can get what Scott is seeing, as I drive slow and reserved.

austintaco

Explorer
Trucks, and especially our "built up" trucks, see an exponential decrease in MPG north of 60 MPH. Take your time, enjoy the road, save a buck. LOL

Clutch

<---Pass
Trucks, and especially our "built up" trucks, see an exponential decrease in MPG north of 60 MPH. Take your time, enjoy the road, save a buck. LOL

Seems like the guys getting poor mpg on TW are young bucks coming from cars who like to race around..."why am I not getting 24 mpg at 80 mph!!??"

For my work commute which is 52 miles round trip, 98% HWY, I keep the cruise set at 62-63 mph. Most of the By-Ways here, the speed limit is 55-65, which usually I am below that...not much traffic where I go...if I do get someone riding my ********...I'll pull over for them...truly not in a hurry anymore. ;) :D

mike2100

Observer
I really like this thing, but I've only had my 2013 for 2.5 years / 30k miles and I told myself I would keep it at least until 100,000 miles. I really need to stop watching that challenge video.

forty2

Adventurer
As for gas mileage, willing to bet I can get what Scott is seeing, as I drive slow and reserved.

I'm quite certain you can, at least on the highway. I drive close to the speed limit and rarely go heavy on the gas. The computer calculated economy seems pretty accurate, never more than a tenth off what I calculate at the pump. Running down to Portland and back last weekend I was seeing trip average ~23 mpg doing between 60 and 70 the whole way, better than the EPA 20 mpg the 6MT OR is rated at. Of course the subsequent two days of running around downtown took a chunk out of tank economy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz