Valley Industries Frame mount rear spare holder

allsierra123

Is anyone familiar with this product? From what I gather it used to be sold by JC whitney. I cant find any other info on it. I picked one up. But trying to figure out if I can mount a can and maybe my hi lift to it as well. Cant even find a pic of this thing floating around on the intraweb.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Need more info... What should it fit? Can we get a picture?

If it's for a TJ, I'm probably running the same carrier... I found it on Craigslist used several years ago and bought it to replace my receiver mounted spare carrier, which made using the tailgate impossible. It was only rated for up to a 31" tire, but I've never had that light a tire on it... It's obviously a bit stressed, and the tire bobs around a bit (leans fore and aft...) on trails. It also makes some racket, though lubing the hinge side helps quiet it down for the trip. So does ratchet strapping the top of it to the roll bar. :) Evidently I don't take many pictures of the back of my Jeep, and the wife has it at work today...

It has a 1.5 x 2" rectangle bar running from side to side, with a hoop vertical for the tire mounting pad. The frame mount tabs are really thick, ~3/8", and pick up the bumper mount locations. (I drilled the YJ locations too on my TJ, or it only picks up two bolts on each side IIRC.) Unfortunately, the design isn't really conducive to mounting a hi-lift or gas can without adding more structure, and the hinge just isn't going to like more weight than a tire IMO. The "frame" isn't really going to like it either, since it's really the thin rear crossmember that it bolts to, not the actual frame rail. There are braces you can buy to strengthen that though. Mine haven't had a problem yet... (Knock knock knock)

I kinda like my Mopar rear bumper (CL) so when I get sick of this one, I'll probably build one that mounts to the (now unused) tailgate hinge location, and latches on the other side. (Like OR-Fab's carriers.) Yes, it'll be body mounted. No, I'm not worried. The tailgate hinge area is pretty heavy, and if I add a few bolts up higher and an angle brace to the top of the wheelhouse, like OR Fab does. I've seen frame mounted ones rip off the back of the frame, so if you design it wrong, it'll break whatever you mount it to. IMO, it'll be better on the body than cantilevered up off the frame. I'll probably try to put the tire off-center, and mount a gas can next to it, the skinny way. That will keep the tire and can as close as possible to the body, which keeps stress down. :)

I don't bring my Hi-Lift much anymore, but if I was going to build a mount for it, I'd put it in front of the pass side door, like jscherb designed:

SideMountHiLift_zpsjgcxqrfv.jpg

Hope that was helpful. Or at least entertaining.
Chris

Last edited:

allsierra123

Mine is for a full Size Tahoe I found this pic. It mounts to the frame rail and one of the bumper bolts.Im thinking of mounting it a little lower than the tire on the tubes there.

chevy_gmc_tire_carrier_300_brea_4960017454958652605.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online