How To Level A Truck Sleeping Platform On Site

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Actually, it's a question, how do or would you level a platform in a truck bed?

Out in the deserts you may not have an issue with your head down hill or your partner rolling on top of you, but the Ozarks doesn't have many flat spots naturally.

Is there or can you think of any bed support that can give a few inches of adjustment in all directions that can level you sleeping position? A 4'x6.5' bed area that fits between the wheel-wells.

Links, suggestions? Think safe and secure with weight in mind. :)

tonkaman

Adventurer
A spade shovel will make quick work of that. I just dig a small hole on the high corner, back into it, check for level, and repeat as needed.

E.J.

Explorer
Leveling_Blocks.jpg

RV leveling blocks could do the trick. I've parked on my jack cribbing to level out the truck for sleeping in our RTT pretty successfully.

lugueto

Adventurer
I'd never seen those leveling blocks. Those are good solutions.

Down here we do exactly the same, but using rocks we find on site under the tires.

Simply place a relatively long and flat rock under the lowest tire and be done with it. You'd be surprise at how level you can get the vehicle using this. As a security measure, we get a few more rocks and chock at least one of the other wheels on both sides (front and back). My truck is always on 1st gear (manual) when parked and on 4H when depoloying the tent as an added measure for the parking brake.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
You guys are making the complex too simple! LOL,

I've used scrap lumber, one of my kids decided to burn it since it was stored, for the fire instead of collecting more firewood! We've used rocks as well, we have lots of them.

Get close to a river and even though you're on terrar firma, in a few hours you'll have some sinking, nothing you can't drive out of. A quick adjustment would be nicer than getting up and moving the truck.

Thought someone might have a gambled system like for a stove on a small boat or yacht that clamps in place.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I use scrap 2x6s etc. I'm a builder, so I have a limitless supply. And as mentioned, they go into the fire if needed as well...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I use the Lego-style leveling blocks too. The interlocking makes them less "squidgy" than wood cribbing, since you're driving up onto them. They also double as a handy base for my jack...

gwittman

Adventurer
I mostly use 2x6s with an angle cut on one end to act as a ramp. This helps to keep them from slipping when stacked. I have also used rocks and the dig a hole method.
Here is a photo of one that was so far off I had to use everything I could find to get it high enough to be level. It stayed there all night without even the slightest slip.

117 Great Basin N P campsite last day.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Most of use the common sense approach of using rocks or boards under the tires to level the vehicle, very simple and doesn't take much effort.

Kevin108

Explorer
A small assortment of 2x6 blocks would be a light, affordable method.

There are also plastic step ramps that, while large, are basically hollow. With some creativity, storage could be incorporated into them so that the space they took up wasn't lost only to the ramps.

robert

Expedition Leader
The RV leveling Lego things or rocks/digging. I actually recall seeing somewhere on the web where a guy had build a sort of gimble system for his platform and another where the guy's sleeping platform could be adjusted by changing the position of the pegs it rested on in his platform setup- he had a horizontal peg in each corner of his bed that could be raised or lowered into a series of holes in order to level the plywood he slept on.

notajeep

Observer
Rather than carry additional implements to level the truck. I have found that simply letting some air out of the high side tire or tires works much better for me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94