How to change out the headlight covers 2006 Tacoma

mkitchen

Explorer
My headlight covers on my Tacoma have gotten to the point that I need to replace them. Is there a source out there that can show me how to change out these covers? The desert sun is brutal on them.
Thanks
MK

p nut

butter
Have you tried restoring them? I don't have pictures of mine anymore, but some 800 grit sandpaper, water, and polish with something like Mothers Plastic Polish restores them to almost new. Difference is drastic.

You do need to touch it up more often, but it's still a cheaper solution.

vicali

Adventurer
Refinish them with a kit or some spar urethane.. Once you sand and polish them you will always have to repeat to keep them protected.
Only other option is new headlights $$.

mkitchen

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the thread. I have heard about sanding the lens, but how long does that last before you have to do it again? If I can get a year or more before I need to do it again, it would be worth it.

Vicali, What kind of kit are you referring to?

Mikey

rickashay

Explorer
Sorry for the delay in getting back to the thread. I have heard about sanding the lens, but how long does that last before you have to do it again? If I can get a year or more before I need to do it again, it would be worth it.

Vicali, What kind of kit are you referring to?

Mikey

I used to have a small headlight retrofit company and we did headlight restorations all the time. The 3M kit was by far the most superior kit. As Vicali said though, once you restore you will have to repeat as your effectively skimming off the UV layer on the surface of the lens during the restore process. We used to spray a layer of quality clearcoat on the lenses afterwords (this can be risky if you don't get it perfect) to protect them. Other option is to just buy new TYC lights which are actually quite cheap or look for a used OEM set in good condition on Tacomaworld.

vicali

Adventurer
I agree with that rickastly guy^ he sounds like he knows what he's talking about!

The 3m kit is good, there are others like maguires, etc- they should be easy to find at a parts store. The urathane does the same as a uv coating- you have to do it each spring but they look really good all year long.

mkitchen

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions

I will give the 3M kit a try and see how it goes. I don't mind having to do it once a year. The cost of OEM is over $500 for the set. I did find some nice looking replacements with what looked like better than stock LED lighting for $370. I think I would go that route before buying the OEM.
My main trip this summer is going to be AK, Yukon and NWT so I doubt that I will even have to turn on my lights other than my time in Canada.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
I used to have a small headlight retrofit company and we did headlight restorations all the time. The 3M kit was by far the most superior kit. As Vicali said though, once you restore you will have to repeat as your effectively skimming off the UV layer on the surface of the lens during the restore process. We used to spray a layer of quality clearcoat on the lenses afterwords (this can be risky if you don't get it perfect) to protect them. Other option is to just buy new TYC lights which are actually quite cheap or look for a used OEM set in good condition on Tacomaworld.

Wow, forgive my ignorance. I really thought that the faded headlight cover issue was limited to the southwest with our hotter, more intense sun. With you and Vicali responding from Canada, I guess we aren't the only ones with this issue.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne